It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate Chairman says he'd investigate Democrats who backed Bush policies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Senate Chairman says he'd investigate Democrats who backed Bush policies

rawstory.com

In little noticed one-line remark on Sunday, Senate Judiciary Chairman Patrick Leahy (D-VT) endorsed the investigation of Democrats who approved of President George W. Bush's policies as president that he aims to review as part of a "truth commission."

The veteran Democrat has floated the idea of a "truth commission" to probe and put to rest alleged Bush Administration constitutional abuses, in areas such as wiretapping and harsh interrogation. Those who participated would likely be granted immunity from prosecution so long as their testimony is truthful, mirroring similar venues of public catharsis as were practiced in South Africa and Chile in previous decades.

Speaking to the New York Times' Scott Shane, "Mr. Leahy said he has learned that the temptation to abuse powers in a crisis is bipartisan and the commission’s review should include the role of Democrats in Congress in approving the Bush policies. The work should be done in one year, he added, to avert accusations that it was being dragged out for political gain."

Leahy's commission has attracted unusual followers. While receiving a tepid response from President Barack Obama -- who said he was “more interested in looking forward than I am in looking backwards” -- former Attorney General Alberto Gonzales said he would cooperate if calling to speak.

“My view has always been to be as cooperative as possible,” Gonzales told the Washington Independent, an alternative news site. “And that’s what I’ve been with respect to everything. As far as I’m concerned I’ve got nothing to hide and I’ll cooperate. Every time I’ve been asked to cooperate, I’ve cooperated. In terms of what happens in the future, I’m not going to comment on that, but that is what I’ve done in the past.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
This guy is a hero!!!

He should expose them all, even the people, at the bilderburg group and in the council on foreign relations.

Obama needs to give him a chance! I don't think that we will ever heal as a nation unless we find out the truth about what happened during the Bush administration. Both Democrats and Republicans need to be investigated!

Obama should really let him do the investigation and let him expose them all...

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
This man is not a hero by any means. He's just trying to get a little more juice out of the "hate Bush" crowd.

What a waste of resources of time.

You Bush-haters are never going to "heal as a nation" until you let the man go.

He is gone now, you got Obama in the White House....move on!

Come on people!!

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Wow interesting considering this just popped on ATSNN.
Obama administration backs Bush, tries to kill 'lost' White House emails lawsuit

[edit on 2/23/2009 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ThichHeaded

That's not one of his policies. That's just a something that Bush got involved in.

But, it would be interesting to see how deep this guy goes. Will he investigate Obama's administration as well?

There are some people from the Bush administration in the Obama's administration as well....

This guy won't let anyone off easily.

[edit on 23-2-2009 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
At this point, literally the ENTIRE congressional body is guilty of treason against this nation, as well as war crimes. If he is the least bit serious, they better start building another prison to house all of these people, because nearly ALL of them signed off on these criminal activities.

And you know what, as far as I'm concerned EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM that DID so should be locked up, and we the people should select our own, non-"chosen" (by the elite) representatives to replace them.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
You Bush-haters are never going to "heal as a nation" until you let the man go.

He is gone now, you got Obama in the White House....move on!

Come on people!!

Hypocryte......

The hate Clinton crowd is still active. Just listen to your mouthpieces, Rush, Sean, Savage, O'rilley.....et al.... When are they going to quit chewing on the Clinton bone? This Nation will never heal as long as the GOP hate mongers can make a lot of money off of the faithful.

Yeah, move on! Come on people!!

First investigate the corruption of the Republican's then get the Democrats and nail them to the wall as an example to what happens to elected officials that steal tax dollars from hard working citizens.

[edit on 23-2-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Can anyone say McCarthyism?

Witch hunt pure and simple to scare any voice of opposistion to Obama to keep their mouths shut and just go blindly off that cliff.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
Hypocryte......

You have no idea how wrong you are.

The hate Clinton crowd is still active.

I'm not a part of it. I don't hate Clinton.

He is irrelevant to what is going on today (unless you count his wife's position and the possible conflicts of interest)

Just listen to your mouthpieces, Rush, Sean, Savage, O'rilley.....et al.... When are they going to quit chewing on the Clinton bone?

That's none of my concern because they aren't my mouthpieces.

Nice try attempting to lump me in with them though.

The people you listed are commentators, not policy makers or decision makers.

I'd think you would know the difference.

First investigate the corruption of the Republican's then get the Democrats and nail them to the wall as an example to what happens to elected officials that steal tax dollars from hard working citizens.

Let's do it.

I'll be right there on the front lines with you.

[edit on 23-2-2009 by nyk537]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Why do we even need to investigate anybody? At the end there will just be a report and nothing will ever come of it. In addition, Congress is investigating Congress, what kind of fairness is that? Do you really think they will tear each other apart. Like Dimension said, all of them are guilty of many wrongs. Agreeing with some of Bush policies is only part of the picture.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537

Just listen to your mouthpieces, Rush, Sean, Savage, O'rilley.....et al.... When are they going to quit chewing on the Clinton bone?

That's none of my concern because they aren't my mouthpieces.

Nice try attempting to lump me in with them though.

The people you listed are commentators, not policy makers or decision makers.

Not only are you a hypocrite, you are also naive to believe that the
policy makers don't listen to the commentators and base their decisions on what the "mouthpieces" tell them. They are more powerful than apparently you want to admit.

I would think you would know that. I think you do!

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
Not only are you a hypocrite

Even after I attempt to explain to you how I am not a hypocrite about this you still revert to name calling.

Are you completely closed to intelligent discussion?

you are also naive to believe that the policy makers don't listen to the commentators and base their decisions on what the "mouthpieces" tell them.

If that's the case then perhaps your issue should be with the policy makers who have their decisions made for them by private citizens, not with me.

This would also make me wonder who was making Obama's horrible decisions for him, because it certainly isn't Rush.

I would think you would know that. I think you do!

I don't think your listening. I don't think you are interested in intelligent discussion or debate on the issue.

Oh well.

new topics

top topics

join