It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA talks little green men with Vatican

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   

NASA talks little green men with Vatican

www.theregister.co.uk

It's a good time to be a Catholic and a cosmologist. Heretic stake burnings are at an all-time low, and the Vatican has even warmed to the idea of ETs out there in the infinite expanse.

So, it was a notably un-charred and still-communicated Father George Coyne, former director of the Vatican Observatory, who stopped by NASA's Ames Research Center Thursday night to chat about the possibility of life on other plants.

The verdict's still out of course, pending solid evidence or otherworldly visitation, but Coyne seems extremely open to the possibility. It's a fertile universe after all.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Coyne was joined NASA Ames Center astrobiologist Lynn Rothschild at an evening discussion for the Commonwealth Club and the Yale Club of Silicon Valley. Curiously enough, Coyne spent his time talking about the possibilities of life outside of Earth while Rothschild focused on its limits.

But if the Jesuit priest believes extraterrestrials could be out there, where does God fit in? Do little green men read little green Bibles? Will Earth ever get missionaries from the Church of Laser-day Saints?

www.theregister.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   
That's why these talks are occuring.

NASA fears a potential social unrest, or H.G Wells style panic, in the event of confirmation of universal civilisations.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 05:09 AM
link   
So just wondering then...

Is it true 'the bible' mentions earth being only about 8,000 years old?
Or... is that not THE bible, and Christianity and Catholicism have different views on that?

Just wondering... I mean, if that is the case nothing will break these weirdos. Organized religion has, afterall, already survived the fact that Dinosaur fossils seem to be older than they believe the earth itself is.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 05:32 AM
link   
... how did christians get to the americas anyway? I mean god never said he made *those*....

I also often wonder how many of those citing the orson wells radio piece actually have heard it.

(for those who havent

www.youtube.com...

a) that thing *is* scary
b) there are anectodes about "mass panic" and allegedly somebody shot at a watertower somewhere, but hard evidence? I havent found any to verify that myth.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

i think they came to the conclusion of how old the earth is by counting back the age of Adams decedents or something funny like that. not 100?% sure though

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   
to chat about the possibility of life on other plants.
WTF?
Life on plants?

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Terrapop

It's a good time to be a Catholic and a cosmologist. Heretic stake burnings are at an all-time low, ...

Geeze ... I know it's not the subject of the thread ... but this is obnoxious. Obviously the British Protestants have forgotten that Protestants are just as guilty of that kind of ignorance as the Catholics.

Originally posted by LostNemesis
Christianity and Catholicism have different views on that?

Catholics are Christians.

Originally posted by infinite
NASA fears a potential social unrest, or H.G Wells style panic, in the event of confirmation of universal civilisations.

I worked with a couple of people who are Christian fundamentalists. The subject of aliens came up. They couldn't believe it when I said that I absolutely believed they existed. It makes scientific sense. They thought it was evil. YES, EVIL. Because, according to them, aliens aren't in the bible and therefore they can't possibly exist. :shk:

When disclosure happens, there will be a lot of ignorant people like that running around saying it's just a trick of the devil. So I do agree that there will be some social unrest. I've seen the ignorance of some people with this subject.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   

stopped by NASA's Ames Research Center Thursday night to chat about the possibility of life on other plants.

Of course there's life on other plants. I've personally seen plants teaming with life with my own eyes! And guess what, they're not reptilitan, they are insectoids.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   
It's great to see such idiocy being paraded around as actual intellectual debate on a global level.

Upon examining ALL the evidence both for and against ET life being here already, as opposed to their kidergarten-esque charade of a debate on life "way out there", you realize very quickly that we are very much NOT alone, not being left alone, never have been alone or left alone.... and the very fact that we are where we are is most likely a direct effect of other races either from other worlds or under-worlds or parallel worlds.

Why do people have such a horribly developed sense of seeing the big picture, and seeing the cause and effect relationships of everything that has happened in the world for the past 10,000 years or so?

The way I see it, we're not advanced at all if we're actually discussing this issue the way in which we are. This knowledge of "Gods" or people from the sky is ancient knowledge, and it was everyday knowledge thousands of years ago. We seem so advanced to the highly trained and indoctrinated eye of modern society, but remove the brick wall blinders an it's debates like these whic make you realize that we are actually LESS advanced in our way of thinking than "ancient" times.

While we're debating with Vatican members here, let's ask them what Jesus REALLY taught his disciples. Debate with the Vatican about truth is similar to meeting with the director of the CIA and going "Sooooo, how about an honest and open dialog about the causes and effects which brought us to now?" Truth and orthodox institutions of thought do not go hand in hand.

Why do we honor this stupid tradition? Why can't we do one good thing with our atomic capability and NUKE the Vatican? (okay no too messy. Maybe just detonate a highly precise neutron bomb inside the Vatican. Destroy the leaders, the mindless yesmen, but leave the building and its textile contents intact....especially that ever-mysterious and mythical library of theirs.)

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   
if ANYONE was told that giant machines from space are killing people they would FREAK OUT. If this broadcast and story took another path people would not have been worried or scared at all.

It all depends on how you introduce aliens... of course being told you were going to be slaughtered would be saddening.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte

stopped by NASA's Ames Research Center Thursday night to chat about the possibility of life on other plants.

Of course there's life on other plants. I've personally seen plants teaming with life with my own eyes! And guess what, they're not reptilitan, they are insectoids.

And i guess you didnt think of taking a picture? yap, sure... whatever
)

@ dimensionalbeing

could it be that fundamentalist christians put aliens and god in the same category since there is no evidence for the existence of either? So they wrongly assume you either believe in aliens or god? And wouldnt solid evidence put aliens out of the god category into the "yet another thing not specifically mentioned in the bible" so no more precieved competition and therefore all good?

I mean i guess some people would throw the devils trick line around. the same kind of people who do it today about dinosaur bones. But they dont really bother anyone as long as they dont want to put it in school curricula....

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   
i think the whole muslims / christians thinking aliens are ALL evil thing is gonna be the biggest hurdle we have to overcome before getting any kind of help from aliens.

and if christians believe jesus's dad was god then in their world ..jesus was an extraterrestrial. or at least he's the son of one. can't tell me the common christian perception of god isn't extraterrestrial. or wait is he exclusively limited to being "terrestrial" lol

i even think jesus would be scared to come back here because of how nasty and hateful alot of christian fanatics are.
they'd probably kill him again!

[billhicks]
look dad.. look.. down there...they're all wearin' crosses.. why they wearin crosses?! they built huge buildings with crosses in them!? they tortured an' killed me on a cross!! i'm not goin back! no freakin way!
[/billhicks]

-

[edit on 23-2-2009 by prevenge]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
The only people the giant UFO man made machines will be killing are those who believe in Jesus as their saviour, everyone else gets another chance to convert after the fact.

as a footnote, jesus is according to scripture will rupture, oops i mean rapture his true believers

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   

i even think jesus would be scared to come back here because of how nasty and hateful alot of christian fanatics are.
they'd probably kill him again!

[

-

[edit on 23-2-2009 by prevenge]

you may wish to re evualute your comments.

if you even can compehend the fact you are a speck, then maybe your can be saved

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

Qur'an is the only Holy book to directly mention the possibility of life on another worlds. The Bible does not.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
reply to post by prevenge

Qur'an is the only Holy book to directly mention the possibility of life on another worlds. The Bible does not.

thats not true.

maybe you can confirm this through some biblical quotes. i am always eager to learn more, as i am sure the others are too.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
"The Lord rides on a cloud." (Isaiah 19).

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I mean this in only the nicest way people in this thread, but honestly, you are so lost and do not know it. But I am going to post a suggestion on another thread, cause this one is just too elemental.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Don't worry about Religions or religious people in general, they will eventually adapt as they have in the past. Religions will adapt or they will disappear.

When Copernicus introduced his Copernican system many people saw this as threat to their religious beliefs. Same with Darwin and his theory of Evolution. But the majority of people, and even some Church(es) have come to accept them.

Yes, there are still many ignorant and fanatic religious people who deny Evolution for instance, but there is nothing we can do about those people. These people have made up their minds and nothing, no amount of evidence or arguments will ever change them.

If and when the notion that intelligent extra-terrestrial life exists, or might even be visiting us, becomes undeniable the religious fanatics will do what they always do at first: try to assimilate the idea into their religious beliefs so it doesn't conflict with them. Some will call them demons, some will call them angels, others perhaps will even go to call them Gods.

But eventually everyone, including the religious fanatics, will accept things as they really are, as we continue to learn and understand more about our Universe and our place in it.

Radical changes in our society will never happen without any significant amount of 'unrest' from most or certain parts of society. To think otherwise would be foolish, but the idea that because it will cause too much unrest, or it will upset most religions, we shouldn't pursue these ideas or even find out if we're alone in the Universe (as I've seen it written here before) is preposterous.

Man will do many things, but suddenly stop wanting to know the answers isn't one of them.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join