It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonald's: No workers comp for employee shot protecting patron

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Hey good post.
I'm so sick of corporations abusing their employees so I wrote mcdonalds the following letter

I've recently read a fox article regarding the shooting of Rodney Parham that left him with multiple gunshot wounds, multiple surgeries and a $300,000+ bill. He has filed for workers compensation due to the shooting that occurred on the premises and was so callously denied.
Frankly I find this attitude toward a hero who was concerned about the immediate safety of the woman being beaten, other employee's and other patrons to be despicable. Not only should the brave young man have his workers compensation claim approved, he should receive a reward for possibly saving multiple lives at YOUR establishment.
I will no longer patronize ANY mcdonalds establishment until this brave young man receives what is reasonably due regarding his workers compensation claim.
If the mcdonalds corporation had any quality leadership, they would realize that treating this person as the hero he is, would bring incredible amounts of free POSITIVE publicity to the restaurant chain instead of the large amounts of NEGATIVE publicity which you are currently experiencing.

Here's the email link
apps.mcdonalds.com...

I would encourage everyone to send a letter as well.
Feel free to copy and paste if you like.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by sean

Hate to tell you this but from recent experience most labor and injury lawyers work on the side of COMPANIES, not private individuals. They not only will personally threaten you, they will illegally disclose your intent to the company you want to sue. This happened with my previous employer.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TylerKing

You are right, and I worked for a major grocery chain for several years where a number of customers physically threatened or injured customers and our managers did NOTHING, including threatening employees to keep their mouths shut. Unfortunately the result is a case like this, which only makes more people afraid to intervene.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I agree, that McDonald's was within its legal bounds to deny the individual benefits. However, many companies, including the one I work for do keep you on the clock while rendering aid (in the case of a stranded motorist). In this unique situation, and considering McDonald's as one of the largest and most profitable companies in the world. Shouldn't someone in a white shirt step up and say legal priorities and moral priorities do not always coincide? If not, this sends a bad message and establishes a dangerous precedent where people do not intervene for fear of damage to themselves or out of fear of reprisal? Are the lessons of WW2 absent in the minds of this generation. To paraphrase a famous quote, "When they came for me, there was no one left to speak up..."

[email protected]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by secretagent woooman
reply to post by TylerKing

You are right, and I worked for a major grocery chain for several years where a number of customers physically threatened or injured customers and our managers did NOTHING, including threatening employees to keep their mouths shut. Unfortunately the result is a case like this, which only makes more people afraid to intervene.

I'd rather die a hero in a victim's eyes than live a long life as a spineless weakling. I see videos of tragedies that could be averted all the time, and the lack of anyone trying to stop it makes me angrier than the actual tragedy. People need to put down their camera phones and grow a pair.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
One funny thing about that; I spent some time in rough parts of DC and NYC last summer by myself. The people who kept an eye on me and made sure I got around ok? Poor black people, often ones who looked like muggers. The vagrants especially made sure I got around the Lower East Side unmolested and never asked for anything in return. Keep your back straight, walk tough and make eye contact with people and people will single you out as "one of them" and protect you. Most of the white people I asked directions from couldn't be bothered, and I am white as milk.
Yeah, I am glad other people have some steel in the back as well, I have had to come to a few defenses in my time and I'm quite small so it always surprises people when you DONT back down to help someone. That tends to end the situation! When in doubt, act ghetto!

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jfj123
Hey good post.
I'm so sick of corporations abusing their employees so I wrote mcdonalds the following letter

I've recently read a fox article regarding the shooting of Rodney Parham that left him with multiple gunshot wounds, multiple surgeries and a $300,000+ bill. He has filed for workers compensation due to the shooting that occurred on the premises and was so callously denied.
Frankly I find this attitude toward a hero who was concerned about the immediate safety of the woman being beaten, other employee's and other patrons to be despicable. Not only should the brave young man have his workers compensation claim approved, he should receive a reward for possibly saving multiple lives at YOUR establishment.
I will no longer patronize ANY mcdonalds establishment until this brave young man receives what is reasonably due regarding his workers compensation claim.
If the mcdonalds corporation had any quality leadership, they would realize that treating this person as the hero he is, would bring incredible amounts of free POSITIVE publicity to the restaurant chain instead of the large amounts of NEGATIVE publicity which you are currently experiencing.

Here's the email link
apps.mcdonalds.com...

I would encourage everyone to send a letter as well.
Feel free to copy and paste if you like.

I applaude your action, and remember that this is the same company that gave a woman 230+ million dollars for spilling coffee in her lap as she drove off from the drive thru window...

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
It amazes me the we have to consider laws and rules in this situation. "Let's see, was he performing his job at the time, ummm."

WTF people.

The man was being heroic, but gets the shaft. What does that say about companies like McDonald's and their insurance companies?

They should be honored to have such a person on staff. That is a leader, my friends. Someone who isn't afraid to step up to a real bully. He's too good for McDonald's.

You get dumped on if you try to be a hero in this day and age. But if you are someone like Big Pharma, who regularly poisons people, you get the keys to the city, as long as you are making big profits.

Give the man some compensation! He was protecting one of your customers.

Troy

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by dubiousone

Most McDonald have no set policy on this. It would vary from store to store and owner to owner.

In the training films they show the crews it only deals with security of opening the store and closing the store.

The manager goes into the store in the mornings there should be a person sitting in the parking lot waiting to make sure the manager has not found anyone in the store to rob them at the opening of the store. At the end of the day the closing crew is to all leave together with the manager as a deterent to the store being robbed.

It's all about the money in the safe and the bank deposits.

No where in the training films does it ever talk about breaking up fights in the lobby. All training films come from the corporation.

Any other than this would be store policy from the owner.

Don't worry they have policy that if you eat a chicken mcnugget without paying for it even if its going in the garbage you will be fired.

Many of these stores your crew members have to pay half price for their meals.

You don't really want to know about their rules for giving employees breaks do you?

It's not about whats right or wrong with McDonalds its about money when it comes to these owners.

[edit on 24-2-2009 by napayshni57]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Blueracer

My official boycott of McDonalds has begun...

Their food is puerile crap and hardly edible anyways.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Of course McDonald's is not going to pay worker's compensation. They don't pay any benefits for any of their workers. They don't hire anyone full time in order to avoid paying overtime and health care insurance, which full-time workers are eligible for.

McDonald's is a corporation or in some cases an independently owned franchise. Corporations only care about their shareholders, their profits and their bottom line. Employees are expendable. It's cold but that's the way it works.

I would say that all of us who care about the guy who was a hero should get together and raise money to help him with his medical costs. But if corporations could rely on donations from the private sector it would just give them an excuse to do less and less for their workers themselves. Then they could increase their profits even more.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by BorgHoffen
Wasn't his job to break up fights.
Call the cops.
This is why company's tell employees NOT to do this stuff.
So they don't get killed.
Why didn't he call the cops?
Because he wanted to be a hero.

Wow, there are a lot of mind readers here. That's amazing how you can teleport not only across space, but back through time, and read the thoughts of this person who PROTECTED ANOTHER FELLOW HUMAN BEING from physical harm.

Not to mention, put themselves into harms way.

Silly me, before you did that, I was just assuming it was in his nature to save a woman in immediate distress. You know, kind of like a Fire Fighter, or a Police Man, or a U.S. Soldier would, who we all usually praise for putting themselves into harms way to protect their fellow Americans.

But no, he's just a lowly burger flipper, therefore OF COURSE he could have only been acting on selfish instincts of pride and ego.

You're right, he should have just stood there uselessly, like the rest of the "not my business" bystanders, and let that woman TAKEN THE BEATING (deserved?) while he made a phone call to 911. That's the kind of American I like to see, the American who is dependent upon his police state overlords to do the our protection FOR US.

Seriously, some of you people amaze me, with your mind reading skills and such.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by wolf241e

STRONGLY AGREE.

Not only do I think a boycott is in high order . . .

I think folks should take this case seriously to heart--and drive through the drive up window and tell them you would have ordered $XX dollars worth but because of this action on the part of McD's you are taking your business to Wendy's.

And keep doing it 1-3 times a week. And get your friends to do it. Until they get some integrity and heart and make this right.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Well Mcdonalds creates jobs, its not some lazy person begging for handouts and wealthfare.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Something that just might change your view

www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   
i dont know about the laws in the u.s but here in oz all retail and food services are unionised and there is an agreement between the union and companies, which is written in company policy, to the effect that no employee shall risk their health and safety or that of fellow employees if some form of crime is being committed, to intervene, but only to observe and then inform the authorities...

although this person had good intentions in mind, he should not have taken matters into his own hands and the most prudent thing would have been for him to ask the person to leave, especially if it was a domestic spat, that is why there is surviellance cameras...

could this be the reason why he was denied workers comp because he went beyond his employment duties ???
do they have victims comp in the u.s ???

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by spender
i dont know about the laws in the u.s but here in oz all retail and food services are unionised and there is an agreement between the union and companies, which is written in company policy, to the effect that no employee shall risk their health and safety or that of fellow employees if some form of crime is being committed, to intervene, but only to observe and then inform the authorities...

although this person had good intentions in mind, he should not have taken matters into his own hands and the most prudent thing would have been for him to ask the person to leave, especially if it was a domestic spat, that is why there is surviellance cameras...

could this be the reason why he was denied workers comp because he went beyond his employment duties ???
do they have victims comp in the u.s ???

I guess you and i differ in more way than one. So its frowned upon to help another human being in distress. Are you seriously telling that you would wait until she was half dead, oh wait, you said you would ask the person to leave?.
Well as this occurred to many on afew times in the city, and yeah, i got involved and seriously hammered the attacker. I was taken to court on a number or charges but all were dismissed. Obviously the judge fully recognized that i took upon myself to aid assistance to a fellow human being who was in need of it. So next time you might want to think, that it may be you getting assaulted and requesting help from a passer by.
Thankfully natural selection always prevails.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by TooManyHumans

Originally posted by thesearch
reply to post by LostNemesis

I'm not from the States, so I wouldn't know - but where I hail from it is illegal not to intervene when a crime is being committed. Do you not have the same legislation?

I don't think there is any law that says you have to intervene. If there was countless people would be breaking the law because 99% of people in America just turn away when a crime is being committed.

And we wonder why society is in a mess! DUH!

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by LostNemesis
This employee was not acting on his job requirements when he was shot, and therefor his own choice to act is his own responsibility.

I have disliked McD's and many fast food places for years, so I am not defending them.

This employee thought he was being a hero.... He probably should have called 9-1-1 if he was concerned.

For all we know, this man that shot him is usually abusive, to a woman that still chooses to be with him. Sorry to have a different opinion on this one, but it's a common story. This was between a woman that should have pressed charges and left a loser... not a min wage worker needing to take laws and matters into his own hands.

Seriously, I am surprised McDonald's is not being sued. Employees like this are a liability.

What if you are the woman being beaten. Its clowns like you that cry for help when you need it and then later criticize those who give it. That young man was well outside his scope of employment, but when faced with a situation where the defense of another required his personal sacrifice, he chose the actions of a leader and of a hero. I commend him and say that you bring great credit upon yourself and your family. Your actions have no reflection of the quality of McDonalds management but simply of yourself.

It is people like him that defend the right and life of even clowns who whine and cry about safety and freedom and yet choose not to do anything about it or for those whom chose to do it for you. Just know that because of men like him, you will live and be healthy to whine tomorrow.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias
Of course McDonald's is not going to pay worker's compensation. They don't pay any benefits for any of their workers. They don't hire anyone full time in order to avoid paying overtime and health care insurance, which full-time workers are eligible for.

McDonald's is a corporation or in some cases an independently owned franchise. Corporations only care about their shareholders, their profits and their bottom line. Employees are expendable. It's cold but that's the way it works.

I would say that all of us who care about the guy who was a hero should get together and raise money to help him with his medical costs. But if corporations could rely on donations from the private sector it would just give them an excuse to do less and less for their workers themselves. Then they could increase their profits even more.

If any want to get together and donate a dollar to the guy, I will arrange a PayPal account for him where all of you can send money. i will run the account for 90 days if you see fit and then post on here, the mailing or transfer information proving that I really sent it to him upon termination of the fund raising. Of course all of this can only be done if we have his name and address so that I may contact him to inform him of the action. If this sounds like a good idea to you, contact me and I will make it so.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join