It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NAACP calls for firing of N.Y. Post cartoonist

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   

NAACP calls for firing of N.Y. Post cartoonist

www.cnn.com

Speaking at the civil rights group's annual meeting in New York, NAACP President Benjamin Todd Jealous said that if Sean Delonas is not fired, the group will call for protests of the paper and Fox television affiliates, which are owned by Post parent company News Corp.

"There is consensus that if the Post does not ... get rid of the journalists who are responsible for this bit of hate speech seeing the light of day, that we will move this from a local, regional issue to a very national issue," Jealous said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Well to say that I'm not one bit surprised by this would be an understatement.

I think the NAACP needs to ask themselves if it's racist to use the expected knee-jerk reactions of some in order to stoke controversy or just bad taste?

The election of Obama was supposed to soften racial tension in many peoples eyes but I think it has done the exact opposite. Everything that is said about Obama is automatically studied under the racist microscope and it's already getting old.

The whole race debacle is petty at best and it's sad we can't move past it as a society.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   
As much as I hate to jump on the "rascist" bandwagon, I do have a little trouble understanding why they did feel there was any humor or satire or any wit to be found in linking that horrible chimp attack with the stimulus package that was drawn up by more than just the president anyway. I guess I did not get it.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 02:24 AM
link   
I agree that it was completely moronic not to catch that the cartoon might spark controversy. You would think the paper would have forseen the entire situation and opted not to chance it but that was not the case.

This was not the first time a president has been depicted as a chimp and probably won't be the last.

The article can be seen with multiple views. At its most benign, the cartoon suggests that the stimulus bill was so bad, monkeys may as well have written it. Others believe it compares the president to a rabid chimp

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 02:31 AM
link   
This is such *snip*!

The cartoon, while it missed it's mark om the funny scale, is not racist to me at all.

How are people putting Mr. Obama as the ape?? He did not write the bill, he just signed it. It was written by the Senate and the House.

The cartoon is calling the people who wrote the bill a bunch of monkeys.

If you believe Darwin, then we all came fro0m monkeys/apes. So why is this a racist issue??

This is so being blown out of proportion. I find it so sad that over the next four to eight years, the race card will be played as never before.

Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors – Please Review This Link.
Terms And Conditions Of Use

[edit on 23-2-2009 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by wolf241e
This is such *snip*!!

The cartoon, while it missed it's mark om the funny scale, is not racist to me at all.

How are people putting Mr. Obama as the ape?? He did not write the bill, he just signed it. It was written by the Senate and the House.

If you believe Darwin, then we all came fro0m monkeys/apes. So why is this a racist issue??

This is so being blown out of proportion. I find it so sad that over the next four to eight years, the race card will be played as never before.

I could not agree with you more. The race issue is going to continue to grow over the following years unless everyone speaking of obama is walking on eggshells.

If people bothered to read the cartoon it cleary says WRITE the bill which obama did not do. Pretty simple deduction.

[edit on 23-2-2009 by TooManyHumans]

mod edit, censor circumvention in quote

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Honestly, I didn't hear about Obama having anything to say about the chimp comic, and I guess I didn't get the 'joke' either.

We are putting too many emotions into this 'racism' thing, that honestly is a non-issue.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Obama is a monkey...according to science and the darwin believers so are the rest of us humans....noone was crying when Bush was made fun of, had death threats, stupid cartoons drawn....this is sad...in my eyes it makes the NAACP even more pathetic then what I originally thought. Why didn't they stand up and complain when BUSH was compared to a monkey....cause he is white...and white is ok to make fun of according to the NAACP...thats means THEY are the racist ones....see how this BS will never end....

PATHETIC...and if this guy loses his jon over a cartoon then Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton should lose much MUCH more...they paint hate and racism with a WIDE brush every time they open their retarded mouths.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj75
Obama is a monkey...according to science and the darwin believers so are the rest of us humans....noone was crying when Bush was made fun of, had death threats, stupid cartoons drawn....this is sad...in my eyes it makes the NAACP even more pathetic then what I originally thought. Why didn't they stand up and complain when BUSH was compared to a monkey....cause he is white...and white is ok to make fun of according to the NAACP...thats means THEY are the racist ones....see how this BS will never end....

PATHETIC...and if this guy loses his jon over a cartoon then Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton should lose much MUCH more...they paint hate and racism with a WIDE brush every time they open their retarded mouths.

This is entirely untrue! Nobody called Bush a monkey. They called him a chimp, as in "the chimp is acting up again". It seemed to me that kind of comment was very frequent!

www.google.com...

Okay, on second thought yeah he was called a monkey. A lot!

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by TooManyHumans

I don't know why the NAACP would be so racist as to assume any picture of a monkey certainly must be Obama. Especially when you consider that congress makes the laws, not Obama.

Seriously, that is racist and offensive. If I lived by the NAACP I would consider picketing the disgusting racist idea that all picture of monkeys should immediately be associated with Obama.

When I saw pictures of chimps in 2007 I didn't think "oh that much be George W. "the chimp" Bush. No, I thought, hmmm... that may be a chimp, or possibly someone besides George W. Bush.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Well, ya know what? For YEARS in the real old newspapers us Irish endured being depicted as GORILLAS in suits and tophats, so why doesn't the NAACP just *SNIP* grow up???????

Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors – Please Review This Link.
Terms And Conditions Of Use

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
I call for the firing of the NAACP, because I am sick of hearing about them.

I wonder if this will make the news? There is nothing wrong with the cartoon, they are just looking on something to pounce on because they are worried about being jobless since there is a black president now. It was there worst fear having him elected.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by xstealth
I call for the firing of the NAACP, because I am sick of hearing about them.

I wonder if this will make the news?

My guess is that it will make the news. The NAACP seems like they are going to milk this for all it's worth until they get their way (which I highly doubt they will).

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Okay.... first of all, we MUST BE CLEAR here that Obama did not write the stimulus bill. He doesn't even write his speeches. He is a corporate puppet.

Second of all, why do you think we elected a "black" president in the first place?
"We elected".... better clarify.... Why do you think we WERE GIVEN a black president in the first place?

In the run up to the election of Obama, I noticed this trend in the media. There is this resurfacing of very Afro-centric information/entertainment outlets... ya know, black pride and stuff like that. Now, like someone said in a post before.... this is reverse racism. This is a N-word labeling themselves an N-word, then getting angry when the crackas come and start calling him/her an N-word. It's ridiculous. The idea of "races" is absolutely illusory, and anyone who proclaims their "race" with pride is just asking for someone to get annoyed that this other person thinks of themselves as better because of their certain "race". Racial pride.... it's okay and acceptable to proclaim "black power", yet intolerable and despicable to proclaim "white power"? Folks, all it is.... is melanin content in the skin and slight bone structure differences! Like.... same as the difference between one whitey and some other whitey.... that's all racial differences are.

The racism card is now being used as a form of political distraction/immunity. Play the race card, and any criticism of the current administration is condemned as racist. Play the race card, and the problems facing the nation/humans as a whole get ignored while infighting between socially generated "separate" races and ideologies is highlighted and heightened.

All the while, evil makes no such differentiation while raping, pillaging, and murdering the world behind the fog of an intense global war on consciousness.

All racial and ideological pride is poisonous.

This is exactly what I predicted would happen. The only reason we now have a black president is....not because of some sort of leap forward in civil rights, as the History Channel seems to be touting it.... but actually it is nothing but a PR move to give the illusion of change. It's like McDonald's updating their logo and slogan. Patriotism is kind of a wavering card to play in the face of such corruption and "mismanagement" nowadays... so why not play the old race card again? Make the black folks think they have some right to being owed something for years of opression of their ancestors, and make the white people paranoid that the black people are coming but make them afraid to speak up for fear of civil rights violations. Tie all that opressed and misguided fear into the face of our current administration, and people would probably rather not be looked upon as an un-PC bigot, as opposed to speaking about the truth, no matter what race or color or ideology it may or may not have anything to do with at all.

Ridiculous. Distraction, distraction, distraction.

Personally, my interpretation of the cartoon was this: CONGRESS wrote the stimulus bill in response to widespread fear of global market collapse, and in doing so, behaved like a bunch of crazed wild animals (a rabid chimp comes to mind, because duh we're primates and a rabid chimp is probably the clearest "behaving like a wild animal" metaphor that you could get when contemplating human behavior) in their philosophy towards the whole situation. No intellectual debate went into the passing of the bill, just knee-jerk fear reaction... primal fear of death and destruction....

Appropriately, witty satire criticizing of such reaction was met with a similar fear-based knee jerk reaction.

It's a bit confusing. How can we get around the race issue when the race issue is mainly an issue of us all "agreeing to disagree" (loose metaphor), yet we're disagreeing as to which disagreeing is agreeable to our ability to agree to disagree?

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Let's call the NAACP what they really are, a racist hate group. Al Sharpton and the NAACP are a group of hate filled racist lobbyists. Al Sharpton is no better than the Westborough baptist church leader Fred Phelps.

Sharpton and this group use race to try and dictate policy, they denounce people's first amendment rights in order to push their agenda in a sickening and self serving way. Anything can be labeled by this group racist and thus gets unwarranted negative media attention.

Immediately associating a dead chimpanzee to mean Obama is ridiculous. The reference was clearly to both the opinion of the cartoonist on the stimulus bill being so badly written it must have been written by a monkey at a typewriter and to the recent story of Travis the pet chimp going on a rampage. It had nothing to do whatsoever with Obama.

Yet who is first up front and center when this cartoon came out? That's right Al Sharpton and the NAACP. Telling US that we must think their way, we must denounce this cartoon as racist and that it was a direct threat to Obama.

Nothing about that cartoon meant in any way shape or form anything about our 44th president. But they want to take away the cartoonist's and the papers right to freedom of speech and freedom of the press.

I think that the paper should sue Al Sharpton and the NAACP for stepping on their constitutionally protected right of freedom of speech. I wonder if the ACLU would take the case or would they be too afraid to go against the NAACP?

[edit on 2/23/2009 by whatukno]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I have a post on my blog that discusses the Delonas cartoon. You can check it out at the link below:

ricoexplainsitall.squarespace.com...

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by TooManyHumans

Greetings to many humans.......Last week our attorney general charged the american people with being cowards when it comes to open meaningfull debate with respect to race....I feel to see the racial connotation in this cartoon,however ,I would question the presense of any humor....The white man/women and the black man/women are in Gods eyes all equal and this would apply to all races....The problem I have is every time the matter of race is brought up by a white man he is a racist and it is more times than not a black making the accusation....With our attorney generals recent challenge....I would like to pose this question,With all the qualified people for various positions in the work force and corporate america and government,why is it that the black man/women is best suited.??This is a group of people that represent 15% of the total population....Take a look at the disproportionate amount of power being afforded these folks...on all levels starting from the top of government to local law enforcement and corporate america.....Is the black man/women truly the best qualified....Let us all compete and may the best man/women prevail....

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by wolf241e
This is such bulls%%t!!

First of all it's obvious the cartoonist intended the chimp to be Obama, when you hear the words "Stimulus Bill" most people would associate it with Obama. It doesn't help that in the page before the cartoon it shows Obama with the Stimulus Bill. So why did the cartoon not specifically name Obama? Obviously to give himself some leeway.

The artist of this cartoon, Sean Delonas, is very controversial. You can see archives of his cartoons by going here and selecting the dates:
www.nypost.com...

If you select the February 6, 2009 date you'll see a cartoon which shows a white cop telling another white cop to let Ms. Butterworth go because they found out the odor is coming from New Jersey.

If you select the February 8, 2009 date you'll see a cartoon which shows a white man plugging his nose, a caption that says there's an odor originating from Washington D.C., and Obama in the background pointing to a poster with the words "Stimulus Bill".

The chimp cartoon is seen as racist by most people because they know that white racists see blacks as beasts. We don't assume that this is the way white racists see blacks, we know this is how white racists view blacks because they've proudly told us over and over.

A book titled "The Negro: What Is His Ethnological Status?” written by Reverend Buckner Payne in 1867, he claims blacks are just an order above the gorilla:
book link

A book titled "Anthropology for the People: A Refutation of the Theory of the Adamic Origin of All Races " written by William Campbell in 1891, who claims that blacks are beasts and compares them to monkeys as proof:
book link

Video of a racist rabbi that claims blacks are gorillas:
card.wordpress.com...

mod edit to fix links

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Is this racism, or just a monkey at the zoo?

It would seem to me that the NAACP is the one pushing the idea that black people are monkeys. How else would you explain this Red Herring subject?

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbates

It would seem to me that the NAACP is the one pushing the idea that black people are monkeys. How else would you explain this Red Herring subject?

If you read my post which was made just prior to yours you'll see proof that there's a long history of whites claiming blacks are monkeys.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join