It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suspend military aid to Israel, Amnesty urges Obama after detailing US weapons used in Gaza

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   

White phosphorus shells traced back to America
Activists call for arms embargoes on both sides

Detailed evidence has emerged of Israel's extensive use of US-made weaponry during its war in Gaza last month, including white phosphorus artillery shells, 500lb bombs and Hellfire missiles.

In a report released today, Amnesty International detailed the weapons used and called for an immediate arms embargo on Israel and all Palestinian armed groups. It called on the Obama administration to suspend military aid to Israel.

The human rights group said that those arming both sides in the conflict "will have been well aware of a pattern of repeated misuse of weapons by both parties and must therefore take responsibility for the violations perpetrated".

[url[www.guardian.co.uk...[/url]

Of course, this ignores the fact that Hamas was supplied with arms from Russia, Iran, China, Syria and Lebanon among others! Or, that Hamas indoscriminately fired these weapons at civilian neighborhoods, in contrast with IDF strikes at known targets hiding in, operating from or suuported by civilian locales.

deny ignorance

jw

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

An embargo would be good start but I doubt it would happen with all those Jewish/Israeli lobbyist in Washington putting all kinds of pressure and threateners on the Whitehouse. I doubt Obama will be strong enough to stand up to them. Well.. enough for it to make a difference anyway.

Jewish lobbying in Washington

One cannot emphasize enough the stranglehold Israel’s lobbying infrastructure has on US foreign policy. The events of recent weeks undoubtedly attest to this. “The special relationship” that has been historically fostered between the US and Israel in fact, is often a relationship of leverage, manipulation and intimidation, and often leads to the US supporting actions or resolutions that stand at complete odds with the interests of the American people.

IRM

[edit on 22/2/09 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Israel exerts not only political pressure. As well, just look at the banking structure and entertainment industries. There are so many American dollars controlled by Israeli interests and supporters, that I think you're right. It's a tough tie to break and what appears, to me at least, as a one-way street.

Aside from a foothold in the Middle-East, what, exactly, does Israel provide to the U.S.?

Despite all that, I think Amnesty Int'l is a little too focused on American conduct and somewhat blinded by the "American" forest to see the "third-world" trees of oppression and discrimination anywhere else.

jw

new topics

join