It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Telescope question

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unknown Truth
reply to post by ngchunter

Hi ngchunter,

For that first telescope you recommended, the Meade N6-AT - 6" f/5 Newtonian Telescope on LXD75 AT Mount, does it take photos?

It can, but you need a proper camera for it. Here's an example photo taken using the same mount but a slightly different telescope:
farm4.static.flickr.com...
Here's a moon shot taken with this exact telescope and mount:
www.cloudynights.com...
Here's another galaxy shot, this one taken by the exact same telescope and mount:
www.cloudynights.com...

All these photos were taken with a Meade DSI which I'll talk about in a second.

Also, if one were to buy that telescope, what accessories, if any, would you recommend one to buy, aside from an extra power source?

A decent set of eyepieces, meade's super plossls are good enough. Get at least one high mag, mid mag, and low mag (6mm, 12mm, 24mm roughly).

If you want to do photography, get a simple beginner CCD like the Meade DSI. You can probably find it for cheap in good used condition on Astromart's website. Also get a cheap focal reducer for the camera - I used a .3/.5 SAC focal reducer for my DSI, which only set me back $60.

[edit on 3-3-2009 by ngchunter]

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Thank you so much for your input on this. Very much appreciated!

Those photos look perfectly fine to me, for what I'd be wanting them for.

Nice vids too, btw.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unknown Truth

Thank you so much for your input on this. Very much appreciated!

Those photos look perfectly fine to me, for what I'd be wanting them for.

Heh Heh Heh. You say that now - I said it myself at one time. Once you get bit by the astrophotography bug, nothing will satisfy you. It's fun though, and this scope would probably be a good place to start.

Nice vids too, btw.

Thanks, I'll be doing another Comet lulin time lapse from the photos I took during the close approach. It's time consuming to put together though, and I'm still trying to perfect a single stacked still from that night, so I don't know when I'll get around to the vid.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I am currently placing some bids through ebay at some impresive scopes but no luck yet......
Mu budget will not allow me at the time to look ....too high!

<< 1   >>

join