It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

dreadlocks and spirituality

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Awesome thread. Dreadlocks have always fascinated me. I also believe hair plays a big role in spirituality. I have longish, brown, straight hair, down to the bottom of my neck about. I have a friend who is also a guy, and I'm jealous because he has super long hair down his back, and it looks really really good. He has inspired me to never cut my hair again. Growing out hair is a fun hobby for sure.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
if you think about it keeping long untangled hair is not so much different form nurtured locks. you still take time and effort to make it the way it is.

un knotting , rather than knotting for a dread

so it seems to me any from of long hair in context we are talking about can be much the same.

makes me think about all depicted wizards in folk lore and story tales.. always the long beard??

oh and a quick bump to my

dreadlock roll call thread ( all hair styles welcome despite the name)

www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Why just the hair on your head? Is someone with a hairy back more spiritual, hairy pits, hairy groin. Come on do you realize how ludicrous this sounds. Children generally have less hair all around than adults and arguably are more spiritual on many levels. Geez, that's 5 minutes I'll never get back.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I just love it when threads like this come along!

Hair is a very powerful spiritual tool/conductor... That is why they would remove all hair from women during the witchcraze, as they knew it held power.

I personally have long dark hair, and absolutely understand the power of hair!

Everytime I see a guy/girl with dreads, I am instantly drawn to them, as someone said in an earlier post, there is an instant recognition of the person being 'deep'... and somewhat free spirited.

Long live dreadlocks!

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by slane69

Sounds to me like you are jealous of dreadlocks.

I'm just joking.

But seriously though, anything can be a spiritual journey. It all depends on the individual. If one finds dreadlocks to be spiritual, then so be it. If someone finds surfing to be spiritual, then so be it. If someone finds ganja to be spiritual, then leave them alone and let them enjoy the holy sacrament.

Yeah.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
right on ...

ive now just eaten way to many mini celebration chocolates on lets say not a normal appetite.

[edit on 11-5-2010 by jericanman]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jericanman

I feel ya. hehe.

Anyway, I was debating getting dreadlocks a while back. I had a friend who said she would do them for me. But that just seemed like the wrong way to do it.

If I ever get dreadlocks, I want it to be a natural process and not any of that backcombing and wax stuff.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
cud do what i did . cut my hair short 2-3cm and then portion it with small elasticated hairbands. my curly hair did most the work all i mostly did was play with the ends in my hands

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Adding to the whole spiritual motif of this thread, do any of you like to walk barefoot?

Check out my thread. It is about walking barefoot and how that can also be a spiritual experience.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I've played with the idea of growing dreads for awhile. A couple weeks ago at a Shpongle show I saw many people with beautiful dreads, I've been thinking about it more ever since.

This thread has given me a little nudge and I've decided to try growing some dreads. Thank you jericanman

My hair grows slow, but incredibly thick, I'm of Celtic descent, so I think I can pull them off aesthetically.

I began eating mostly vegetarian 2 years ago and vegan 1 year ago. It began as a health decision but I developed spiritual & moral feelings toward veganism. I am fascinated by tribal religions, shamanism, and healing properties of plants. I've had the ability to lucid dream since as long as I can remember, and I have had great success in transferring this ability to inducing sleep paralysis and out-of-body experiences. So I guess spiritually, my dreads could represent all these.

I am betting though, that by the time I have locked hair, my dreads will represent something as of yet completely unknown to me.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
well done.

let your deadlocked journey begin.

the first few months are the worst. especially when your scalp is readjusting its oil levels. you can get a little flakey and itchy. well that's what i found. but it balance's out rather quick.

and if you lock up longer hair the sudden change from sleeping on normal hair to lumpy dreadlocks can be rather uncomfortable at first. some people have told me.

mine started out more like miniature nubs or stubs. so i didnt notice that so much.

but once they bulk out your have a pillow everywhere you go. i guess that may have been one of the first reasons for growing hair into dreadlocks way way back.

much better for those quick power nap's

little naps and lie in's past my normal wake up time are when i get my lucid dreams the most. i usaly get about 4-5 a week.

so soon you will allays be ready to do a bit of lucid dreaming

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Hi all! In researching the spirituality of dreadlocks I came across this topic link and appreciate all that everyone has shared, so have now joined the site. I have never had loks, but as a spiritual 42 yr old Canadian single mom of two teenage sons and a woman that has always questioned the 'system' and hated rules and regulations - especially the fashion industry telling me how I 'should' look - I think this may very well be a good choice for me! I look forward to the journey! And greetings to all of you

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by SolarE-Souljah
reply to post by slane69

But seriously though, anything can be a spiritual journey. It all depends on the individual. If one finds dreadlocks to be spiritual, then so be it. If someone finds surfing to be spiritual, then so be it. If someone finds ganja to be spiritual, then leave them alone and let them enjoy the holy sacrament.

I concede your point, to each their own,... still sounds ludicrous though.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   

I just came across this clip of Bob Marley on youtube.

It's intersting, I've always had a fascination with dreadlocks, having them off and on throughout my life.

Metaphorically speaking, I admire how dreadlocks can be looked at as a sign of growth or discipline. Discipline in the sense that you do not let any conditions of the earth distract you from your natural growth. Your hair either falls out, or you adapt and you cut it, but it's natural course is to grow, as your natural course as a human is as well.

You can't look towards society and expect them to tell you what your identity is - your identity is nothing artificial.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I always wondered how many lock wearers were on ATS. Good to see it. I am almost 2 years into my second set. Grew my first set from ages 15 to 21. After I cut them I wasn't the same. I went about 6 years without them and the whole time I wanted them back. I would still have dreads in my dreams like my subconscious mind identified itself with having them. Anyway, it's been almost 2 years since I let my hair lock up again and I don't plan on ever cutting them again. I think there is a profound connection between dreadlocks and spirituality. Just by letting your hair grow and do what it does naturally by leaving it alone creates a sort of discipline, and brings a personal connection to nature. I would love to see all your beautiful locks. I'll post a pic of mine as soon as I figure out how to. Peace to all

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Wisen Heimer

in this thread www.abovetopsecret.com... someone said hair can hold memories. well it certainly holds the memory of substances ingested, as evidenced by hair follicle drug testing.

perhaps your spiritual awakening was able to occur after you cut your hair and got rid of some undesirable spiritual emotional or physical "baggage"? Just a thought that occurred to me but I don't know if that applies to you or not.

Thanks for sharing!

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: slane69

just a thought but perhaps ats, or the Internet period, is not the best place for you if you are bothered by the loss of 5 minutes. or you could just buck up and stop whining...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join