It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are we ending torture?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Our wannabe future oppressors are becoming bold with their language. If torture is ok then whatsay we round up some pinko scum and throw them in the oven? It's a slippery slope and it's getting steep. What do you suppose will happen if they draw battle lines between gun owners and non-gun owners? The left is being vilified on purpose and by plan. Scary stuff. Pay attention.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Well said. It's really shocking how many ignorant people are out there. Know the facts before you judge. Please, everyone, check out the book Our Nation Unhinged: The Human Consequences of the War on Terror by Peter Jan Honigsberg and read stories about what actually happened to the detainees in Guantanamo. The related website is www.cubaniguana.net... for some updates and current issues.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by xweaponx

for one, torture is f--ked up and you're damaged for even asking; two, we haven't even charged some of these people with crimes.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by NathanNewZealand

this isn't a hollywood action blockbuster, things are rarely, if ever, so black and white as the situation you described.
what about those in GITMO and other military detention facilities around the world that haven't even been charged with a crime? you would think that if we knew they had information of an imminent terrorist attack, there would at least be something to charge them with.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I am against torture. I think it's medieval and cowardly. To sit there and beat or WHATEVER to a man or woman until they say something to make you stop is not good intel. Now, I do not consider waterboarding torture because it doesn't cause permanent mental or physical harm. Yes we could go back and forth all night about nightmares and whatever but i'm not convinced. I think if a guy knows some stuff that might get some people killed then you give the guy his options. If he tells you whats up he might get to see his family again. If not he will never see the light of day again. Ever. And we'll provide the best medical care possible to make sure that is well over the national average.

It's as simple as that. There is no "gray" there is Legal and there is not.

I'm not a pacifist. I'm a NCO in the U.S. Army and I'd kill anyone trying to kill me or my guys without hesitation.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
we are not ending torture, I was tortured by the CIA, I am a Musim American, view my profile to hear my story.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by NathanNewZealand

Torture has a good purpose, and if it not misused and abused (should pretty much be last resort) it is a very effective tool in extracting life-saving information, even nation-saving information.

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I am not sure I follow your logic? How does one NOT abuse and misuse torturle considering torture IS abuse and it is misused daily all around the world?

Quite frankly I am disgusted with your general lack of caring for your fellow human.... Torture is NOT the way to go with our prisoners of war(that is what they are, not terrorists but POW's.

Our torturing is used as a recruiting tool for groups such as alqieda. They use it because all it does is anger our "enemies" even more. All it does is make them want to kill us even more.

All torture (pain suffering and abuse) causes is a negative view of our country and an even bigger hatred and more people wanting to destroy You, me and our way of life.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I hope none of the 'pro torture' posters in here are Christians.
That would make them hypocrites.

I am Atheist, essentially, and I do not condone torture at all. Just because someone else does it doesn't mean that 'we' should do it. Would you steal a bus and drive it through a school just because someone else did?

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by xweaponx

All war stinks.

All torture stinks.

So why are we doing it?

I will stick my neck out here and say that it is MEN who are doing all of this.

Women would like peace on this earth. And, btw, how dumb is this? To keep waging war on your own kind? Do we really WANT to be extinct?

We are certainly going there.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join