It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are we ending torture?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by mf_luder

hahaha, yes I think that would be much more interesting than talking American Judicial system.

Another backwards institution that keeps us back.

~Keeper

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by mf_luder

Yeah, our system's pretty much the same a. Not good, not good at all.

And your cats having sex comment, I'm still laughing out loud.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
nnnn

[edit on 22-2-2009 by simonecharisse]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by simonecharisse

Wow.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
nnnn

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by simonecharisse

It's Special Agent "Gammage"

And my quote is from a member on ATS named.. (drumroll)....
Xangi.

[edit on 22-2-2009 by mf_luder]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
nnnn

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
By using the tactics of the terrorists you stoop down to their level...which America has done for many years. Which is also why I consider the CIA terrorists.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
why are we ending torture?

Because it makes a good PR campaign. nut in truth what is happening is you are ending TALKING about torture.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by xweaponx
Why are we ending torture?

Really man? are you seriously asking this question?

Just goes to show what Hollywood with it's desensitizing agenda can do, i guarantee you just 10 years ago you wouldn't have been asking this.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Torture doesn't accomplish anything, never has, never will. All it does is satisfy the sick, twisted, sadistic sides of the people doing the torturing. If someone was torturing me, to find out if I'm Santa Clause, by God I would tell them I'm Santa Clause just to end the torture. It wouldn't mean anything. (by the way I'm not Santa) The whole "War on Terror" is a joke, it was cooked up by the NeoCons to help justify their Imperial Expansion across the world. Nothing more. All these secret prisons, renditions of "terrorists" to foreign countries, accomplishes nothing for America.
If the US truly believes its own rhetoric about upholding democracy and freedom, and standing by "principles" then it should at least try to live up to them, at least. To all those who gladly advocate torturing another human being for "information" you're obviously in the same camp as the evil you "supposedly" hate so much. As one Air Force intelligence officer said "Torture is for cowards."-(I'm paraphrasing)

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by NathanNewZealand

OK. Turn the tables on the discussion.

If a [insert your nationality here] soldier is captured, you think it is fine for them to be tortured for information about coming strikes that will save hundreds of lives on the other side?

If you agree that the US can torture enemy combatants, then you MUST agree that enemy combatants have the SAME RIGHT to torture US soldiers.

Torture is either acceptable or it is not. You cant have it both ways. Torture is disgusting and until early this decade, I thought the US and its allies were better than that.

[edit on 23/2/09 by GBBumblebee]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Why?

Because my friend, torture is the height of EVIL. Perpetuating Evil just opens more doorways to HELL.

Thus anybody that takes part in any kind of torture is a minion of evil and an enemy to all human kind.

Since George Bush and his cronies have taken part in torturing human beings it means that some people somewhere are going to see me (an American) as a torturer for allowing it to take place. Therefor since, these acts of torture I am less safe in this world for there are more men out there looking to get revenge somehow. It means our soldiers are more likely to be tortured when captured - yep maybe they would have been tortured anyway, but now we no longer have higher ground to stand on in order to hope to stop torture.

We all have a choice we can either take part in perpetuating evil in our world or we can take a stand against it - therefor making our world better.

[edit on 23-2-2009 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Torture under any means is wrong.

I would say, look to your history books to research torture. It has been proven time and time again, that 'confessions' under torture do not amount to much under scrutiny. I would suggest that you read up on the 'Spanish Inquisition' to prove my point.

Any one will say what the Torturer wants to hear whilst being tortured, just to stop the torture. That doesnt mean that what is told is correct though.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:06 AM
link   

OK, I don't know if the American population is completely stupid or not but...Why are we ending torture on terrorist?

Honestly if you even need to ask this question then perhaps some introspection on your own values, morals and ethics may be in order.

We give them more rights then our own people.

How exactly? Hold them without trial in perpetuity? Use a secret CIA airforce to kidnap, torture, then eventually release them? How exactly are they getting "more' rights?

Plus it's ok for them to torture us? But we aren't allowed to do this? So we are asking for another terrorist attack and we are blind?

Two wrongs make a right then?

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   
For the old hands on here. when Col callon was captured & tortured. (col callon was the leader of a british merc unit in africa during the 70s) they dug up his old dead army buddys and placed them in his cell and locked the door and came back a week later. he cracked and spilled the beans. ie who payed who recruited ect,
when ex ss troops fled germany and joined the french foriein legion and where sent to indiochina (veitnam) , the legionaires strapped familys of known VCs to there convoy supply trucks sos to deter any ambushes(it worked) so to stop using psycological methods is madness,
you fight terrorism with terrorism its that simple..

[edit on 23-2-2009 by foxhoundone]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Agree with you on this one to an extent,surely it is acceptable to extract information that could save innocent lives by any means possible,what if it were your families or friends that were in harms way?

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Ok so you say it's not right to torture "TERRORIST SUSPECTS" meaning people who are involved. The CIA doesn't just open the phone book and pick random people. Suspected Terrorists are people who are getting calls from Terrorist Groups.

Wrong!

Inform yourself!! They even BOUGHT "suspects" at $5000 a pop. Picking up random people is EXACTLY what they did. The majority of the people in prisons like guantanamo were innocent people. You are advocating the torture of innocent people. It is not even OK, smart, or productive to torture a terrorist, let alone innocent people. If you don't have the brains or the heart to realize that torture is wrong then where were you when all the news hit that torture did not give any reliable information? Watching Jack Bauer?

Not torturing anyone, is one of the things that shows that we are beyond such barbaric uses and gives us moral leverage. Although I would never use that statement as a generalized argument these days because if you add everything up we're all equally unevolved if you ask me. And arguments like yours is what leads me to believe that.

Who the hell sent us back to the middleages?

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
1. To torture (or support torture) of a fellow human being is despicable,

2. We think we are so morally better than the terrible east, yet we do what we condemn them for,

3. Surely you realise by your logic, some force in the middle east captures an American officer, they should be allowed to torture him because he knows when the next airstrike will kill civilians?

4. What exactly do you label a 'terrorist'? What if some poor peaceful Afghani dirt farmer's family was bombed by a US warplane, so he decided to take out his rage by picking up an AK and killing marines storming his town? Would you torture him for that? What would you do?

And what about Omar Khadr? He was only 15 and accused of killing Amerixan soldiers, would you torture him?!

Lets say you're friends with Akeem. Akeem tells you his friend back in Cairo is part of a blacklisted organisation. Because you have this connection, the CIA decides to torture you for a list of members of said organisation. Then what? "He obviously knows something but is lying. Increase torture!"

Where is the line drawn?

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Here is one good reason to end torture .

Because they get it wrong sometimes!

news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 23-2-2009 by sueloujo]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join