It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are we ending torture?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
OK, I don't know if the American population is completely stupid or not but...Why are we ending torture on terrorist?

We give them more rights then our own people.

Plus it's ok for them to torture us? But we aren't allowed to do this? So we are asking for another terrorist attack and we are blind?

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   

+7 more 
posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Erm it's not ok to torture anybody.
I'm shocked u ask why would someone stop torturing people...

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Wow, this is a ridiculously ignorant thread.

So you think it is ok to physically harm a person for information?

What is wrong with you? What if they abducted your child and tortured them for your address? What if they took you and tortured you for information you may or may not have had?

Regardless of what path a human being takes, they have simple rights that should and must be followed by all of humanity.

Like the right to a fair and decent trial. The right to not be harmed while in custody of any country.

For you to say that you condone such behaviour makes you no better then the ones who enslave us all on a regular basis.

Maybe if you weren't so blind to the fact that the word "terrorist" was made up by the American administration to allow them to abduct and de-huminize people who did not fit their idea of a person, you would understand that people are people regardless of circumstance.

And no it is not ok for them to do so, that is why we as a world power should set an example and prevent these types of things from happening.

You're ideals are disturbingly dated my friend.

Take your elitist bigotted opinions elsewhere friend.

~Keeper

[edit on 2/22/2009 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I agree.
Think of it this way.
A person has information about a terrorist attack or something just as serious (the whereabouts of a kidnap victim etc), aquiring this information would give the authorities the ability to save one, two, fifty, four hundred or even thousands of lives.
The person with the information says "no, I'm not telling you because I want all those people to die, I don't want you to be able to stop it from happening."
Any left-wing, politically correct do-gooder would say "that's ok, you don't have to tell me, that's your right."
Where as me, I would cause that person sevre phyical harm, sevre. That person would tell me the information or more harm would follow, and that person would know I was serious and they would tell me, and thousands of lives would be saved.
Torture in these type of circumstances is plain and simply - common sense.
To not extract that information, when you know full well that they have it, would be the same as pulling the trigger.
Do-gooders, wake up.

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by NathanNewZealand

What makes you think they would be telling the truth. People will say anything in that position to get out of what they are being put through.

A man would say ANYTHING under those circumstances, torture does not provide accurate information, it provides nothing but barbaric ideals that should have been erased years ago.

Amazing you people...I am profoundly shocked.

~Keeper

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Discuss the topic at hand, please do not attack or threaten each other.

Posts should be done in a civil tone.

Thanks

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
So, I suppose you were fine then, when Viet Kongs would torture prisoner US soldiers?

What do you have to say to that?

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

tothetenthpower is way off the mark, way off.
Torture has a good purpose, and if it not misused and abused (should pretty much be last resort) it is a very effective tool in extracting life-saving information, even nation-saving information.
Say a little girl was locked in a room, beaten and assaulted repeatedly, and a person knew where that room was and who was keeping her there and they refused to tell the interogator. If it was up to you the girl would remain in her predicament.
Good one tothetenthpower, you look after the perpetrators of crime and let the victims suffer a.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   

You can harm them to whatever extend, they won't tell you. They'd rather die than say anything.

This whole thing is about torturing people: it is useless. If one tortures me enough, I'd admit an assassination and a bank robbery. Think of it.

Intelligent people don't force others to reveal their secrets. They find out about those secrets.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by xweaponx

Because as a country, we are supposed to be above that. Torture is a coward practice anyway. Why do we need to drop to their level? What does torture accomplish anyway? Besides, what rights do captured terrorist have? I hear they aren't treated that great when captured, they didn't get a trial. It doesn't sound like they have any rights, so how do they get more rights than we do? Our own citizens can't be legally tortured, so how is them not getting treatment we dont get special treatment? Also, I think torturing any war prisoners violates international law. Correct me if I'm wrong on this one.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I don't know if you missed the memo, but torture will not stop.

The Obama administration will be identical to the Bush administration in many aspects -- including foreign policy (war and torture).

Why complain? You won.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SpookyVince

What do I have to say? They were torturing the U.S. soldiers to get information about the movements of those soldiers units. This is and always has been illegal under the Geneva Convention. Which I think is good. Torturing a soldier is disgusting.
Torturing a child-rapist, a mass murderer or a high ranking terrorist (ONLY TO GET LIFE SAVING INFORMATION that you KNOW they have but they flatly refuse to tell) is another story.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Many people are resistant to torture, so they would either just laugh at you and mock you, or they would just tell a lie.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
You can't end something that doesn't happen in the first place.

The US does not torture. Simply being detained is not torture, as some would like to think.

An Al-Queda training manual was found in Iraq and in it included what a member was to do if captured. It instructed the member to CLAIM TORTURE, even if he was not. It seems even Al-Queda knows what buttons to push to get liberals on their side.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Like the location of the Iraki WMD?

Or like the position of Bin Laden?

Or like why we're not allowed to import dam chocolate into the US because 2 US trained pilots crashed planes in the WTC in the name of a god (or rather in the name of a falsely god driven nutcrack)?

Come on. You can be more serious than this.

If I would torture you, you too would admit to things you haven't done. They're using excuses to track who they wanted. Excuses, that's what it is!

When it comes to North Korea, curiously, no one gives a dam. But *THEY* made a nuke that exploded in the ocean...

Alarming?

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Ok so you say it's not right to torture "TERRORIST SUSPECTS" meaning people who are involved. The CIA doesn't just open the phone book and pick random people. Suspected Terrorists are people who are getting calls from Terrorist Groups.

Now it's ok for other country's to take Americans and torture them? What you have to say to that?

President Bush isn't as bad as what people make him out to be. With his torturing tactics helped stopped over 30 different terrorist attacks planed on America.

I'm not a bush supporter but I'm just telling you what the new's doesn't tell you.

Plus lets see torturing someone is PERFECTLY. Fine because your going to get the information out of them.

Heck if I worked for the CIA and I was dealing with a high terrorist suspect. I'd hook electricity to him and every time they don't tell me who they are connected too give them a little voltage for 4 seconds. Wait guess what they already do that in every other country!

I'm just saying our president "Obama" didn't have much experience and when we get attacked again I'd like to go on CNN and say to the American people "I told you so" because you end programs that are actually helpful.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   

And that person could still lie about where that little girl is, and she would still be dead. There are other methods to making someone talk other than torture.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
It is exactly these kind of ideals and rhetoric that prevent us from evolving as a race. We think that these types of behaviour actually benefit us in times of need.

What we dont' realize it is this kind of thing that has led us to where we are today and how our world is backward to the point where people would condone such things.

I am truly ashamed at being a part of a society that would see harm as a way of gaining information.

Now making life uncomfortable for a detainee, wearing them down through other means can somtimes provide the means for getting answers.

But physical torture in all of it's forms is simply wrong. And any decent, forward thinking human being should have the capacity to understand such things.

Such violence is not the way to move forward, it simply keeps us back.

~Keeper

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Because, my friend - torture isn't necessary to get people to talk.

I'm the US Army.

I am a Counterintelligence Agent. I have good friends who are interrogators. Torture is absolutely unnecessary. Now - before I continue - I agree w/ you. I think we give that scum waaaay too many rights, but since the people who are getting treated worse by their government than the terrorists are want it that way - then - we'll leave it that way.

There is a book you should read.

MISSION: Blacklist #1.

It's about the US Army Staff Sergeant interrogator who tied the pieces together all the way to Saddam. He never tortured any of his detainees and he did nearly 200 interrogations.

There are ways to make people do what you want them to merely by using words. All you have to do is figure out what makes them fear, love, hate, happy, sad, angry - anything like that. Find out about their family, their religions, etc.

Trust me - torture is so outdated. Breaking someone by making them think their family is in danger seems like it would be more useful and you never had to put your hands on them.

[edit on 22-2-2009 by mf_luder]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join