It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are TV schedules reflecting the deep recession?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
It might be nothing, but I was thinking about it. I'm watching Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Both versions are on Family tonight, and it's not Valentine's Day or Halloween... so why would they be showing them tonight? And I didn't even make a connection until the scene where Charlie's dad lost his job and they're like "darn, we have no money, go use this last quarter to buy a candy bar."

Maybe they're doing it to give hope to all the little kids whose parents have lost their jobs.

What else was on this weekend? Gone With The Wind, Twister...

I mean, it seriously could be nothing, and you could stick it in Skunk if you want. I just wanted to see if anyone else noticed it but me. ^_^

You know, like, the line that Charlie just said "We need the money more than we need the chocolate." "There's plenty of money out there, they print more everyday."

Isn't it true? Goooo INFLATION! I-N-F-L-A-T-I-O-N, Inflation!

[edit on 2/22/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

I'll have to pay more attention. I usually only watch the news networks and CNBC during the week.

Good observation.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I think there is a lot of manipulation and control being very overtly programmed into the minds of the masses that want to be manipulated.... The History channel is really spreading it on thick about Mexican American gangs on there Gangland series.... I am anxious to see what anti Mexican rhetoric is posted after these shows are over.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Yeah, I will be too. I think I've even noticed it in the choice of repeats that stations choose to air. It could be a weird marketing technique or something. Keep your eyes open.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by hypervigilant

That's not really about the recession though, and Gangland has been around for awhile. I'm mainly talking about the choice of which movies and episodes to air that stations and companies have when composing their schedules. Not like, entire series of shows.

But you're right. That's been talked about for ages though, it's pretty much general knowledge that certain shows are shown to give people a certain opinion of a race or political party or whatever.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Have you noticed the new upside down tomato planter thing?
Possibly toting we need to grow our own food.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

I saw that. It's possible, but gadgets like that have been around for awhile. I keep seeing commercials for "germ busting" products. Might be linked to an impending outbreak, or what happens if we can't afford medication and need to work on prevention more instead.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Discovery Channel always has some sort of doom scenario it plays out. Sometimes in a movie storyline but mostly in a documentary style. I think right now is some kind of asteroid impact. A few weeks a go they had a program that included every possible scenario in one show.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I wonder if shows are cutting their budgets... particularly the portion set aside to hire good writers. TV is getting more and more dumbed-down as time goes on. So much garbage! In fact, I'm hanging out on ATS because I have over 100 channels to watch and there's absolutely NOTHING on that's worth watching!
Everything is predictable, repetitive, and just plain STUPID!
If it wasn't for the Space channel, I probably wouldn't watch any TV at all!

new topics

top topics

join