It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

it's just paper

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I'm sure everyone has watched the videos describing how banks and money came to be money..

It's just paper..

Could you live without it?
If people started trading services instead of paying, would you participate?

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I'm glad someone brought this up as I have always wondered if the bartering system would work better than paper currency.

As misinformed on the subject as I might be, I always believed that bartering would eradicate unemployment, as everybody would pursue a trade as a means of survival.

But as always I am looking forward to reading other people's opinions on the subject.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
The world would have been a better place if there was never such a thing as money.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Bartering only works well in small communities, there is no way you could barter for everything in a large town or city.

For example, say your trade is a butcher, are you going to barter meat for the carpenter to build your house? It would be an awful lot of meat to equal the value of a house isn't it?

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
people do not understand that luxury is not necessary. All these toys we have aren't important to ones survival.
I will assume most people would pick up more than one trade skill.. the carpenter that builds your house does not take all the meat at one time, but has a continuous supply from your farm for a certain amount of time for his work.

It's not that it would not work in a large city.. people would just need to cooperate with others if they want to survive.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I understand your point, but I'm sure society could have been much like it is today without paper money in that, some of the population who had a little more than others could have built the houses and rented them out for other services such as a butcher paying via his trade weekly.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by eroticdreams

I would participate. Why wouldn't anyone? I believe it is going to come down to this as a partial means of survival. Whether it is bartering or trading some commodity that can then again be traded.

I think it is wise to take note of our assets be they physical or an ability. Even if you think you have none, there is something you can learn or do now to prepare for the possibility. If nothing happens, you have still gained something.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Money is just fine and practical for large communities. The problem is taxing and credit.
Think of it this way for bartering, would you get some food from someone before you had a way to pay them back with some other item? No. People wouldn't allow that. They would say "hey you have to work for your food first if you want to eat!".
Oh and taxes. There's another great credit like system lol. Yeah we'd pay our government in items instead of money. Think of how funny that would be. The local Judge needs corn, pay up folks or be put in jail!
Hehe I dunno. Just think it would be a great idea if done in a small community. It has worked with great success before but once an economy grows it needs a more smooth way of trade. Sadly our trade/money system has become corrupt from the very thing we pay taxes to keep things running in order. Give them the power they will abuse it.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
You pose an excellent point, should the world have chosen currency or bartering, we would have ended up in the same position. The ptb would have found a way to use, exploit and abuse whatever/whichever system was in place and eventuated us at the same point. A crumbling system and a world on the brink of collapse, as sad as it is, we were screwed either way.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I would be glad to participate in a bartering system. And actually, in some areas of Wisconsin, people are already doing so.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by eroticdreams

The Venus Project is working toward surpassing the need for money, based on resources and needs.

In the meantime, help wake the sheeple up, everybody counterfeit money [like corrupt governments do], flood the corrupt monetary system with counterfeit and collapse it.

top topics

join