It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

proving things in 10 seconds is dumb ...in 10 seconds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
There are people, including myself, that claim to experience God, have seen Heaven in a near death experiences, and to know they are a soul. To argue these, what are "facts" to us, to others who don't know ...is indeed arguing colors with a blind man, music with a deaf man, etc.

These topics require years if not decades of meticulous seeking, meditating, reading, philosophizing, debating, studying, etc.

To try and prove this or that in 10 seconds is just dumb, especially trying to use logic and reason for topics that are transcendent(beyond logic and reason)

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

Yes, you are right. The thing is, people who do that are people who have already made up their minds, and they want to change other people's minds.

What they don't understand is that people like us, who have experienced God by NDE or having him answer our prayers, REALLY answer our prayers in a certain way, will never be persuaded to change our minds.

Maybe someday, they will change their minds though........

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
You're right, which is why I barely post anything I feel is important on ATS anymore. This website is a collection of those who feel they are denying ignorance by embracing the world's knowledge to be the end all of everything. Of course there are still some here who know the truth of God, but for the most part it is like taking a room full of blind people to watch Fantasia and ask them to give us a synopsis afterwards.

[edit on 22-2-2009 by ben91069]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Anyone can discuss their belief or absence of belief, regardless of experience or study. If someone wants to attempt to debunk god in 10 seconds, that's just fine with me - the argument will stand or fail in the post. To suggest that I could not express my opinion without years of theological study is frankly insulting.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by mithrawept

Thats not what is being said.

All that is being pointed out that like Love unless you have experienced the Divine, there is no point trying to convince you it exists, the only way to understand it is to go through it.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
If you can prove/disprove anything in 10 seconds, then that person had full faith already in the validity/invalidity of that something beforehand.

This act is just plain idiotic, and a total waste of 10 seconds.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   

All that is being pointed out that like Love unless you have experienced the Divine, there is no point trying to convince you it exists, the only way to understand it is to go through it.

gYvmessanger, my sentiments exactly.

Mithrawept, post away your opinions. Suffice it to say, 10 second posts to prove anything is ridiculous given the terms and subjects discussed especially since logic and reason are thrown out the window in spiritual realms.

These realities being discussed are either experienced or not. Everything else is speculation.

Besides, logic/reason based paradoxes are perfectly and mutually agreeable in transcendence i.e. how something can exist but never have been created. Logic and reason break down in this situation, but to experience such a reality is to go beyond.

use logic and reason to conclude that logic and reason are inherently extremely limited functions i.e. explain art, yet we know it exists but has to be experienced to be known.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

I don't agree with you but not for the reasons you may think. I think that anytime anyone wants to discuss these topics it is good. Even if someone starts out trying to prove it false, it gives others the opportunity to express themselves on the subject. That forces everyone to actually think, once more, about such subjects. Thinking, meditation, etc.. is never a bad thing and usually can be attributed to some realization that otherwise would not have occurred. I know many people, myself included, that started out discussing what they thought was the right answer only to find that their ideas started to change.

new topics

top topics

join