It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran to begin operation of 1st nuclear power plant

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Iran to begin operation of 1st nuclear power plant

news.yahoo.com

Iran's official news agency says the country's first nuclear power plant will begin preliminary phase operation on Wednesday after a series of delays.

The Sunday report by the IRNA agency says "pilot stage operation" of the power plant will start on Wednesday during a visit by the head of Russia's state Rosatom Atomic Corporation, Sergey Kiriyenko.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
This is it. Will Israel strike Iran as they said they would once they fire up the nuclear plant??

I say that it's gonna happen (okay, well, duh, brain dead simple).

My prediction is either this Sunday (today), this Thursday (right after the plant is started), or next Sunday. If none of those predictions pan out, then I say it will happen in the first week of March.

No, didn't use any special psychic powers for that one, just guessing.

It also looks like some anomalies that are chasing me around are trying a little harder to "get me", especially at work. I say that something is pretty close to happening.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Why would they be poking around in Lebanon? One would think they wouldn't want a multi-front war on their hands.

Not arguing against the OP, but it seems like Israel should be screaming their pre-launch battlecry about now, no?

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Good for them, they now will have clean power.

Line 2

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Mekanic

its not really clean clean
since it produces waste which take years and years to become
go away.

anyhow nice one to Iran

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

Right, but if they do like the rest of the nuclear powered nations and bury the waste, it'll be "safe", right? And in the immediate, it's clean, not producing carbon dioxide, which has to make Al Gore just giddy.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I highly doubt that Israel will act without American approval, but since the U.S. economy is in shambled, another war would be a perfect distraction, and "economic stimulus." As for "good for them they now have clean energy"...they have a desert...with wind...and sun....they obviously have ulterior motives in obtaining a nuclear facility.

[edit on 22-2-2009 by yellowcard]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by yellowcard

I agree that it might be seen as a distraction. Any 'stimulus' will just be more Debt, the last thing we need right now. I believe this strike will be the last in 'The War on Terror'. The end of america's military empire.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
No one in the world has ever bombed a fully operational nuclear reactor - the potential to contaminate the entire middle east is beyond scopre - look at the mess from chernobyl - 23 years on

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Why would Israel or the Americans bomb the reactor now when it's just about operational? They've known about the project for more than a decade. They've had ample time to bomb the crap out of their nuclear projects whilst they were still in there infancy. Bombing that plant now would cause more problems than it solved.

Another thing, why do people keep badgering on about Israel bombing Iran every time they cough, sneeze or fart? I've been saying for ages that an attack on Iran is unlikely. We all know that the Americans and the Israel's don't hesitate when it comes to war and conflict.

You have to ask yourself, why have they held back for so long? What stops them attacking Iran?

[edit on 22-2-2009 by paul76]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
So..

They are just turning it on now??

How did they make enough Weapon Grade Uranium to, supposedly, make a Nuclear Bomb if they're just turning it on now???

There HAS been a lot of Iran talk in the Media lately..
Scaring the people into accepting an attack on Iran.

This will be WWIII.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by yellowcard
I highly doubt that Israel will act without American approval, but since the U.S. economy is in shambled, another war would be a perfect distraction, and "economic stimulus." As for "good for them they now have clean energy"...they have a desert...with wind...and sun....they obviously have ulterior motives in obtaining a nuclear facility.

[edit on 22-2-2009 by yellowcard]

I think you are a little confused.
The US doesn't make a move without Israels approval, I believe even Israel themselves have stated that they own the US goverment.

The economy is going to get much much worse before it gets better and there will be no strike on Iran unrill the people of the US are screaming for blood.

They also may have deserts, wind and sun but that does not mean they have ulterior motives by obtaining nuclear power.
Just because you own a hunting dog, doesn't mean that you will ever take it hunting

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by yellowcard

Well, having gotten some new people in their government... we dont really know how they will react.

Plus I think that rocket was fired from Lebanon into Israel. Maybe Iran has been speaking with the surrounding nations to create a secret coalition against Israel. Lord knows that Israel isnt liked.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by paul76

You know, it almost seems to me that people want a war with Iran. Every time Iran is in the news, especially here on ATS, there is a group of people who start saying there's going to be a war with Iran, and WWIII.

I see no problem with Iran possessing nuclear materials. I think the US and Israel are more terrorist that Iran is, and they are allowed nuclear capability. Matter of fact, every four to eight years, the US invites instability with electing a new president, of which lies to the American public for a year or so to get the vote. Then that person appoints their own cabinet with how many more new people?

Russia has nuclear weapons, they also have a history of tyrannical leaders. Tell me how many countries have nuclear weapons, or are capable of having them, then tell me how stable their leaders are, or if they are in some type of conflict.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by paul76

Maybe because the whole time it has been in the build stage, there has been a large contingent of Russian physicists and engineers on site, now the plant is ready, they have gone back to Russia.

If they striked while the Russians were there, they stood to piss the big bear of mother Russia off, now they are gone, they still stand to piss them off, but not as much as killing their valuable scientists and engineers!

Not only that, but if they were to make Iran into another Chenobly, it would help them in any planned invasion, given most the country would be dead and off limits due to the radiation, leaving a smaller area to be conquered? (considering Chenobly was old nuclear technology, imagine the fallout from this upto date reactor...).

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by paul76
Why would Israel or the Americans bomb the reactor now when it's just about operational? They've known about the project for more than a decade. They've had ample time to bomb the crap out of their nuclear projects whilst they were still in there infancy. Bombing that plant now would cause more problems than it solved.

Another thing, why do people keep badgering on about Israel bombing Iran every time they cough, sneeze or fart? I've been saying for ages that an attack on Iran is unlikely. We all know that the Americans and the Israel's don't hesitate when it comes to war and conflict.

You have to ask yourself, why have they held back for so long? What stops them attacking Iran?

[edit on 22-2-2009 by paul76]

They've had the most Leftist party in control in Israel for a long time, that's why. They also got alot accomplished with the US in Iraq, so they didn't want to upset the US and went along with the 'diplomacy' thing. Now they have the Rightist Hawks, who have already stated their intentions to deal with Iran.

As far as badgering on about it, I remember when many of us were accused of the same thing two years ago when we warned of the Economic Collapse. We knew it wasn't if, but when. So let's not shoot the messengers.

As far as the dangers involved, it all depends on the location of the radioactive materials and whether they can be contained within the collapsed structure rather than spread by a direct hit. Of course, if Israel feels their existence is being threatened, they may not care.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I think people have their nuclear programs crossed here a bit

Even the US under Bush was always very careful to note that they objected to the Iranians nuclear weapons programs, not their nclear power program.

Nobody is going to bomb their reactor, not even Israel.

What the tension has been about is Iran's nuclear enrichment capability.

Iran says they only intend to use it to enrich uranium for use as fuel for nuclear power plants (Low Enriched Uranium, about 20% U238 or less), the US and Israel claim Iran intends to refine their uranium to "weapons grade" (HEU, about 85% or more U238.)

But at least for the US, I think the military option is pretty much off the table now.

For Israel, well they might want to hit Iran's enrichment sites, but it's doubtful they actually have the ability to do so effectively.

Even if they did, it would simply delay the Iranians, not stop them.

[edit on 2/22/09 by xmotex]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Israel cannot just strike at Irans nuclear facility, they first have to take out the anti air craft capabilities which will no doubt be protecting the plant.

doing this will be considered an act of war

you also have the US fleet sitting in the middle of the gulf and if they where to hit bushehr plant it would possibly spread fallout over the fleet, although I really don't think that would bother Israel.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by xmotex

I think the strike is very much on the table. The first thing Netanyahu talked about when he accepted power was the Iranian threat. His stand is very clear where Iran is concerned. For the US it boils down to dealing with how the whole thing plays out. The way they see it is that the US could do a better job and would get away with it politically. Whereas if Israel goes alone, things could get out of hand and the whole of the Middle East could go up. I think they underestimate what could happen even with US involvement.....

As far as the Reactor, the spent fuel would render Plutonium. When the strike happens it will be hit. The optimum time would be before the reaction is started, with structural damage that spreads minimum debris.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
There's only one country that we have to fear might use nuclear bombs,
because there is only one country that has ever thrown nuclear bombs
on human populations.

The world should be demanding America dismantling its nuclear arsenal,
as they have proven that they cannot be trusted with that kind of power.

Iran never intended to make nuclear weapons, just like Iraq never had
weapons of mass destruction, and Afghanistan never attacked America
let alone supported the terrorists that might have, which was never even
proven.

If all countries would band together to completely disarm America, then
we could finally start rebuilding our societies. America is the only country
interested in mass scale wars, even Israel wants to keep it small.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join