It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Conversation on the Economy. (must read)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Earlier this morning I had a pretty deep discussion with my Mother about the economy and where it's heading. I'd like everyone to understand what we talked about and why most people seem to be ignorant of this depression.

Ignorance is Bliss.
I have been trying to get my family to understand how dire the situation is with the Global Economy and their reactions have been along the lines of:
"That'll never happen!" -- "The government will save us!" -- "This is a recession not a depression."
We, here, on ATS, we know that something is brewing out there. Be it any of the multiple theories out there on why this is happening; To just plain stupidity on the part of people. But for some reason most people are just happily living their lives ignorant of the underlying troubles out there. Subconsciously people know it's happening. You can see that with the increase in gun and ammo sales all over America and the growing number of public figures "accidentally" saying the truth about the health of the world.
But the question is: Why do people not want to know the truth?
Because it's easier to live pretending everything is okay.
During the conversation I had with my Mom she said, "I just want everything to be okay! I want to stick my head in the sand and pretend everything is fine."
When she said that I responded by telling her, that's what I am here for. I know she doesnt want to hear what I have to say at times, I can see it in her eyes. Lord knows that even I dont like reading about some of the things I have since joining this community but in the end it is for the best and we all know that Knowledge is power.

You're just crazy!
Everyone who has tried to convince people around them that the depression is going to get worse has gotten the following reactions:
"You're crazy." -- (rolls eyes) -- "Uh huh, surrreee."
It's hard getting people to open their eyes to the truth but never giving up can seem harder at times. I have been telling my family about the current problems before they even happened. I remember when I first told my Mom about possible bank collapses back in 2007. Yes, two years ago. She didnt believe a word I said. In Summer 2008, I started to prepare for Economic collapse and possible armed conflicts in my area and she scoffed at my efforts.
When the DOW started to fall at enormous rates I showed my Mother and she rescinded how she had reacted before and that's when I opened up to her about my theories and many of the topics I had read here on ATS and other sites. All my conversations with her have been one sided until this recent one. I would talk away and she would listen quietly until I would get fed up and stop talking about it.
This morning she admitted to me that she is, "Scared sh!@less!" about where everything is heading. I started to comfort her but I then realized that I am also scared of the possible ramifications.
It's the unknown factor of how the sheeple are going to react to things.
Is our paper money going to be worth anything?
What is the government going to do, will they trample our rights in the process?
Will we be okay?

I don't know the answers and that's what makes it scary. All we can do is prepare and try to convince as many people as possible to do the same. Even if everything gets better it's good to follow the mantra of:
Better safe then sorry.

No Effort is Wasted.
After speaking with my Mother about our Global Economy she seemed a little more at ease with the fact that I am making these preparations for our safety and well being. She asked me what she could do to help, which made me smile, and I gave her a small list of things to do.
In the end it was worth talking to her all that time and I am more optimistic about our families future. I do hope that everyone reading this will make the effort to tell their family and friends.
From my experience with my family it has allowed us to grow closer and more connected in these hard times. We know we will need that in the coming years.
The future for us is a mystery and we can try and predict the future, make estimates on what will happen but no one really knows.

Thanks for reading guys!
Tentickles

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Pop Culture and everything around it has taken everyones 'eye off the ball' so to speak. I think one of the top, if not the top reason for the cluelessness that we see at the moment. I spend my time focusing on the ones that are preparing themselves and saying a short prayer for the ones that are not.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
If your Mother won't acknowledge it, show her this...

2009 Depression Validated
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I've been keeping a "Record" of news since just February 7th 2009

Have her look throught those Headlines and say "nothings wrong"

I advise you all to look...

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Great post Tent!!...I too have a family who forever thinks the gov. is on their side and will not let them down(cept for my father,who was sent to fight an unnecessary war in vietnam)....and they are so wrapped up in reality tv and such....and when i open up conversation with them about things happening now they just ask "did you watch american idol last night ?...and the looks i get for buying 50 lb bags of rice and thousands of rounds of .223.....but....i think i am finally getting to them...in due time

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Well OP, your story is a compelling version of most of our experiences on ATS. My husband is finally on board and he is an eternal optimist. The rest of my family has been quietly preparing for a year now.

Last fall, America awoke to the fact that their "wealth" was all smoke and mirrors, that it never really existed or at least existed only to the extent that it served Banskters and Financiers. Now the public at large is scared as hell and and a paradigm shift in thinking has occurred. People realize things aren't going to get better for a long time and that they can't rely on the government at any level to handle problems. We must look to ourselves, our families, our friends and our neighbors - and maybe not even those, depending on your situation.

In ATL, we awoke this morning to find and article in Atlanta Journal-Constitution business section talking about how local Bankers are making preparations to defend themselves and bug-out if necessary.

www.ajc.com...

It's bad.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Keep on keeping on for your voice will be heard if you share what is coming with enough people whether they want to hear it or not. Remember The ride of Paul Revere the British are coming the British are coming. Those who took heed prepared those who did not were not prepared.

The (New Exchange) is coming Worldwide this will create an underground movement that will assure the continuation of Capitalism and Free Enterpise. Remember the term (New Exchange) for it will be echoed throughout the World.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by amari

Great..more new...enslavement...where do you get this dribble..

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

I run a personal security and training outfit...we have concealed carry classes every week for the general public, but I also do private instruction for those who demand a lower profile.....I can tell you that article about bankers is spot on, but I'm also seeing other "civic leaders" making rather extensive plans for "the unknown"...

These are the very same "leaders" that are telling the general public that "everything will be allright"

[edit on 22-2-2009 by RolandBrichter]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
It's a good feeling when you talk to your family about the crisis because you feel that you will be better prepared.

It's just a matter of accepting the crisis, researching about it and preparing for it.

Sadly a lot of people are doing the opposite.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Yesterday, I had a conversation with my sister that was very much like the first part of your story. I know I will have to spoon feed her little by little because she is in TOTAL denial. She and her husband are very comfortable and have no desire to believe that anything could happen that would change that. They are currently in the midst of a VERY expensive renovation of their home and I fear for them. Although they can afford it now, I fear that there may come a time in the near future that will change that. I hope I'm wrong and she's right.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
A lot of the sting is going to lessened by implementing the
Obama & Geithner plans for underwater mortgages...

the first phase is implementing the Federal Loan Modification Law,
which pays the banks or other holders of underwater mortgages the
$100,000 that would not be realized IF the house was foreclosed on...

the bank makes their expected money, the buyer keeps the home rather than losing it and continues to make payments with a lower interest rate...

so that part of the economy is saved (sort of) and shouldn't degenerate into armed standoffs by families vs the Sheriffs coming to seize the property.

now all those jobs that were not really necessary to begin with...
there's plenty of other opportunities out there,
i am a live-in custodian at an investors 2nd home, they don't want it sitting vacant for various reasons...
& when it sells -- i will move on to another live-in custodial arrangement
in this tourist community

i could think of at least 6 other opportunities to become self-reliant
in a job poor economy...

so i side with your other family members, not in respect to government as
savior,,,, but their outlook, that there are more than a few people having an undominable spirit,
like the long forgotten 'Unsinkable Molly Brown'
~now there's something to Google~

[edit on 22-2-2009 by St Udio]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Yes, I think it's a case of willful ignorance, and denial. I say willful ignorance, because the information is out there for anyone who wants to see it.

Ignorance-- just the other day I started a conversation with a coworker about the Taliban in Pakistan and Sharia law. Another coworker asked who the Taliban were and what was Sharia law. This is a middle aged, college educated, mother of two children. If she doesn't know what's been in the news for the past few YEARS, do you think she has a clue as to what is happening now? I'll bet there are millions more just like her.

Denial-- a couple of people at work were jumping with joy the other day because the stock market was "up." Umm... hello? Driving home, I can see two new car dealerships (Accura/GMC) that have just opened, next to all the other car dealerships!! Who was crazy enough to loan them money?!

In contrast, I have a friend and her husband who live in a lower middle class neighborhood. We are sharing tips and articles to help us prepare. They are installing a floor safe, stock piling food, buying a few more boxes of ammo, buying some small, concealable weapons for the probable increase in muggers, getting their garden ready, fine tuning their bug out bags, etc..

If people think I'm a little paranoid right now, that's ok with me. How can a person go wrong by being over-prepared for this economic situation?

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lookingup

In contrast, I have a friend and her husband who live in a lower middle class neighborhood. We are sharing tips and articles to help us prepare. They are installing a floor safe, stock piling food, buying a few more boxes of ammo, buying some small, concealable weapons for the probable increase in muggers, getting their garden ready, fine tuning their bug out bags, etc..

If people think I'm a little paranoid right now, that's ok with me. How can a person go wrong by being over-prepared for this economic situation?

The more people like you, who take ACTION, the easier this transition will be, whatever it may bring

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I'm glad you guys enjoyed my thread.

Yes, it is great will full ignorance. It's sad to say that adding 5 dollars of survival food/water to your usual grocery list makes such a huge difference. For example a can of Spam at wal-mart is between 1.50-2.50$, and a gallon of drinking water is only 64c. Buy 2 Spam and a gallon of water and you already have a day and a half worth of food.

Plus Spam lasts forever.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Very true.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Three years ago I was a happy, ignorant American male.

Something always stuck in the back of my mind, though. I always felt that in spite of what we were being told in the news, something wasn't quite right.

Then I was persuaded by a friend (reluctantly) to watch a video he had found on the internet about the world trade center buildings. I hadn't studied it beyond what we were shown and told on the news when it happened.

As I watched, it was if a veil was being lifted. There was something going on behind everything that made more sense than anything I knew until then. But I was still in denial.

For several weeks after that I began to research and look up anything and everything I could find on the subject. It slowly started to become crystal clear to me what was going on. Ugly as it was, if I was going to be honest with myself I had to realize that our beloved nation has been taken over by some of the most evil, controlling, and malicious forces I could imagine.

I watched every documentary video I could find. Read every book. I learned about history, wars, banking, corruption, power, the illuminati, etc... and it wasn't until I actually spent some time considering the possibility that such evil exists that I discovered that these things were real.

So now I realize we're in a lot of trouble. And the things I know now seem crazy to people who don't know, but let me tell you... there are more people alive today who are wise to what's going on and how this scheme is run than have ever existed in history. And the knowledge the people are gaining is increasing at an exponential rate.

The good news is that the further these evil men push their agenda, the more obvious and clear the plan becomes. They are betting that they can continue to deceive everyone, and hire us to be each other's slave masters with our own money that they stole from us. They are wrong.

So I am one among many, who are working twice as hard, saving and stocking up on everything I can think of... not just for myself but for my friends and family. I have sold much of my unnecessary junk, took my lifestyle down a few notches, all to get guns, ammo, medical kits, books, food food food galore, some gold & silver, plant seeds, body armor, gas masks, colloidal silver, oxy silver, antibiotics, water purification, vitamins, and more.

The more of us do this, the more our economy will shift toward the production of these items. And the more it does, the more it makes sense for people to go into these businesses (because right now they're booming). As this shift in the economy takes place, the identity of our nation and its money will change. Our necks will gradually move out of the noose, and our feet will become more firmly planted on the ground. And with this gaining strength will come greater doubt among our masters that they have a chance to carry out their plans successfully.

The more of us that do this, the better prepared the people will be to tackle the problems as they unfold. No, we can't save everybody. But that is not our responsibility. Our responsibility is to do what we can for those who can be helped, no more.

We will win this fight. It is not hopeless or futile.

[edit on 22-2-2009 by username371]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by username371

Star for you my friend. 9/11 seems to be one of the major turning points in our unveiling.

I am glad you are preparing for the future like so many of us are here on ATS and other places.

Now we just need to wait and help the people who do not see these hard times for what they are!

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by username371

sorry to be off topic...but where did you get and how much was the body armor ?...I need kevlar plates to put in my vest.Thanx

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
My biggest fear is when the SHTF and your family and neighbors that have been in denial finally wake-up and come to you for survival, what do you do when your only prepared for your immediate family?

Luke 12:49-53 "I have come to bring fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled! 50 But I have a baptism to undergo, and how distressed I am until it is completed! 51 Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division. 52 From now on there will be five in one family divided against each other, three against two and two against three. 53 They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law."

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Pinktip

In my case I have gone to great lengths to hide my efforts. If TSHTF and my community comes together to help each other out with food and protection, I will gladly share my efforts with them. But from what I have seen they are not ready and will most likely put my family in danger.

I did say I would help them if they are prepared beyond what I have seen though.

[edit on 22-2-2009 by Tentickles]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join