It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul to Bill Maher: America's War on Drugs must end

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+37 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Ron Paul to Bill Maher: America's War on Drugs must end

rawstory.com

Congressman Ron Paul is the most conservative, grandfatherly man to ever be admired by America's marijuana enthusiasts. On Friday night's episode of HBO's Real Time with Bill Maher, he reminded those who may have been suffering an impaired short-term memory at that late hour why, exactly, they should like him.

Speaking live from Clute, Texas, the libertarian-leaning Republican did what few other members of Congress will and openly called for the United States' War on Drugs to be abolished.

"What about when FDR came to office in '33," asked Maher. "One of the first things he did was repeal prohibition. He said we can't afford this anymore. Well, we have prohibition in this country. ... When he was making radical changes he said look, we're serious now. We're going to make serious changes and people like liquor."

"Well, in this country, people like pot," said Maher to a wave of cheers and applause. "If we ended that prohibition, that would be a giant pooling of money."

"I don't like pot," said the congressman. "But I hate the drug war, so I would repeal all of prohibition. But, I wouldn't even bother taxing it. People have the right in a free country to make important decisions on their own lives. If they want to make mistakes, they can. They just can't come crawling to the government to get bailed out or taken care of if they get sick.

"I believe in freedom of choice in all that we do, as long as the individual never hurts anybody else. So that means I would get rid of all the federal laws. I would dispose with the drug war. We're spending tens, if not hundreds of millions of dollars on this, then we march into places like California, override state law, arrest sick people and put them in prison."

"It makes no sense whatsoever," he insisted.

"Amen, stoner," joked Maher.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2/21/2009 by sad_eyed_lady]

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Why can't other politicians see things from Ron's perspective? This man is the genuine article. Maybe we should share this article with our legislators and give them something worthwhile to work on instead of destroying our economy.

I don't smoke pot, but to me it is criminal that the government is making criminals out of marijuana users. People are doing hard time for pot while white collar criminals (who ruin others lives and make a sham of capitalism) get rewarded with bailout money and bonuses. Too much time and energy is being wasted by law enforcement and the judicial system prosecuting people for getting a buzz. Perhaps more law enforcement efforts should be directed at business malpractices. If we are going to have Big Brother, put him in the board room.

Check article for video.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by sad_eyed_lady

Why can't other politicians see things from Ron's perspective? This man is the genuine article.

All politicians know that Ron Paul is right. But they don't care because they're getting rich. The prison industry makes a fortune off incarceration and they pay our politicians to support the War on Drugs.

No congressman ever asks what's right. He asks which side will pay me the most money.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Not to mention Pharmacom pays quite a bit of cash to keep Marijuana suppressed. Anything that damages thier hold on peoples health is bad.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Amazing how the last three Presidents have formerly been involved in drugs, yet still believe in a war on drugs.

Imagine how many more potential future Presidents we could have if only only their lives had not been ruined by sending them to jail.

The War on Drugs is a failure and an alternative method has to be found to deal with drugs.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I posted the video here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Gotta love DR. Paul,

Makes me wonder what has happend to America when common sense statements start to sound like profound wisdom.

We have the Dems and the Reps, but what we need is the common sense party.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Also to add to the ridiculousness, hemp also falls into the same category and you can't even get stoned on it. But you can use it too replace many inferior and toxic substances produced by industry.

While hemp is illegal, it benefits the the environmentally damaging petrochemical industries. Also more trees have to cut for paper inferior to that made by hemp.

While hemp could replace most cotton crops and produce a better quality product, it would not benefit the manufactures of the pesticides used for cotton.

While the war on drugs is a waste of money for the taxpayer it's a gold mine for law enforcement agencies and the prison work force.

While marijuana is criminalized and it's medicinal qualities denied to the public, it benefits the pharmaceutical industries.

While harder more dangerous addictive drugs are being run by the CIA, the mind expanding and therapeutical drugs are demonized. And research into the effects and applications are hindered.

Just a few reasons off the top of my head.

It's obviously it's not about saving anyone from the demon weed, when far more dangerous drugs are sold over the counter everywhere. It's about corporate control, keeping people stupid and frightened and denying an ancestral right for shamanic practice.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Would be nice to see an end to the DEA.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
the war on drugs should actually be called "the war against life"
trying to stop people getting high is about as sensible as trying to stop people breathing !!, laws against drugs has been failed & will continue to fail, & instead the oppresive community of workers employed to persicute the drugs comunity will continue doing so, until there is an uprising big enouph to force the government to think (oh my goodness the people are realy going to hang us from the street lights)
only then will cannabis & other drugs & most of all the freedom for each person to decide for them selves if they want it or not, will be given back to the people.
take a look at alcahole whilst it was ilegal, it was underground much like todays drugs are, & a lot of people in high places were murdered, becuase they deserved it by trying to enforce big brother on a society that just wanted to get pissed.
now look at the econmic nosedive, its just a matter of time i think befor much of the system falls apart, its very posible that in times t like these a good erner like cannabis may be allowed to grow as long as the mafia oops i mean police get there protection money from said drug crop.
but there will need to be some serious blood on the streets befor said mafia rethink there ways.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
No, no, war is good for corporate profit! Why, what would happen to the American economy if we quit sending all that $$$ to Colombia to help them fight?
Foreign aide under the guise of a War On Drugs amounts to military hardware sales, in order to keep the country secure for foreign investment in oil. Perhaps our real reason for sending $$$ south has more to do with an energy policy based on military force/sales. The US gets the bulk of Colombia's oil export, which is a sweet crude, mas fina for the States.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

Isn't it amazing how a large majority of Americans feel the same way but are shunned and blamed of wanting to destroy morals????????

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Is there a way to keep pot illegal, or at least strongly regulated, without making pot-users criminals (etc fines instead of going to jail).

If so, I support that one.

/illegal to smoke recreationally, not to use for textiles or fuels or medicine.

[edit on 2/22/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

Here is a youtube video of this.
Sorry I have no luck with the insert tool

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
When you watch this video, Ron surprizes eveyone including Bill.
It takes Bill a minute to have a snappy comeback.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   

[edit on 22-2-2009 by DragQueen4Peace]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
It seems to me that the idea for the creation of a COMMON SENSE PARTY is the best idea I've heard yet.

What we need is to Organize a Common Sense Party, and, use it to put Ron Paul and some of the other Jr. and Sr. politicians from all parties, not just Dem or Republican on the ticket.

However, what will seperate the Common Sense Party from all other Parties is that We will utilize Common Sense. We will not redress Government for our wrongs, they serve their own interests. So, We must address those interests ourselves. We should go straight to the source. The Super Wealthy elite families and their Wealthy freinds. We do not need guns or might to do this, nor do We have to attack or defend their might and guns. We do as they do unto us. We go straight to their heads.
We know what makes the Super Wealthy and Wealthy tick. So, attack it sufficiently enough to make them, like Bank Exec's, want to jump out of the window.

Think of David Rockefeller, say, as the GodFather, essentially, he is anyways. Then, realize, he is only that way because of inhereted Wealth and Power, not from any vast intellectual superiority he possesses or can hire.
It is really quite simple. Boycott all that makes them wealthy. Not just commercial goods, buying only local. Non brand, since even competitors are under the same Umbrella so they prosper no matter which you buy. But also, boycott every war and conflict and action they take, no matter how much we may need it or how bad it may hurt this Country or any other. We stop supporting what makes them Wealthy and Powerful.

Boycott Commerce and Defense.

Whether it's Energy, Transportation, whatever. Go to riding bikes and walking. Go to fire pits to cook and propane, kerosene, etc. to warm. Have families and neighbors who rent, live together for a while with those who don't, and stop paying rent to apartments and public housing.
Temporarily ban together as a community and live the old pre industrial way.

Just for one month. Two for severity.

Then, those whom have empowered them will begin from a grass roots to top of the heirarchy, rebel on their superiors. Then, you don't have to know who is pulling whose strings, or, what about the structure has created the oppressive offsets throughout the whole of the structure. You don't get embroiled in mindless tit for tat over blame or responsability. All wisen up to the fact that Guns are not the only things that kill people. Godfather's who lose face with their evil cohorts kill themselves. And those evil hearted cohorts will turn on each other and eat each other alive. And, when the Boycott ends, all will restore itself, and whomever the last Super Wealthy person is standing, will be vigilant not to ignore the fickle mob ever again. A lesson their generations will not soon forget, since the mob will remember how they beat the Secret Government tyranny, without firing a single bullet.

Then, add the potential physical aspect in the mix, and, those in power will remember why they must balance their interests, with their survival interests. Government will become fair and balanced again of it's own accord.

I don't care if it's fear or respect, as long as that child stops before that car hits them.

A Common Sense Party. That's a wonderful idea.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Ron Paul is a great guy!
The only politician I can trust, its true this drug war is such a waste. It hasnt achieved anything, mexico is on the brink of civil war because of it, thousands of people are put in prison for non-violent offenses, our civil liberties are being infringed, And its giving all the bad guys enormous sums of money.

Good thread!

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by squiz

I agree with you 100 pct. If only Congress with listen but they say that they know better than us regular people. Like hell they do. I would like to know how they would regulate it if it became legal. Afterall, wouldn't they tax it just like liquor?. Seems like we cannot get anything without paying taxes on everything. But nevertheless I agree with your statement.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join