It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the United States Make Anything Anymore?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

MBF

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Make Speed Limit 45
America is a nation of lawyers and marriage counselors and investment bankers and wight loss clinic operators. Useless non-productive parasites.

I think that about 90% of the lawyers in this country should be just shot. All they are is a bunch of crooks with a license to steal, the same goes for investment bankers.

What we need are engineers and factory workers and truck drivers and farmers. People that make things.

The last I heard, Japan graduates five times the engineers as the U.S. every year. Look at China and India, they are starting to take off in a hurry. If we don't wake up soon, we are going to be left in the dust. I'm a farmer. There is just no money in this business at all. Farmers are being put out of business left and right. I'm also an engineer, I guess I picked the wrong business to make a living.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Well It seems that this same discussion we are having here is devavu of one no longer ago.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
8:30 A.M. EST WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 11, 2009

The U.S. Census Bureau and the U.S. Bureau of
Economic Analysis, through the Department of
Commerce, announced today that total December exports
of $133.8 billion and imports of $173.7 billion resulted
in a goods and services deficit of $39.9 billion, down
from $41.6 billion in November, revised. December
exports were $8.5 billion less than November exports of
$142.3 billion. December imports were $10.2 billion less
than November imports of $183.9 billion.

Well I guess this about picking what is best for personal interest.

After all we are in an economic crisis, with a national deficit and a trade deficit.

But I am not here to educate those that feel themseves already educated enough.

Have fun with the information, and do the math.

For the three months ending in December, exports of
goods and services averaged $142.5 billion, while imports
of goods and services averaged $188.8 billion, resulting in
an average trade deficit of $46.2 billion. For the three months
ending in November, the average trade deficit was $52.0
billion, reflecting average exports of $149.6 billion and average
imports of $201.5 billion.

www.census.gov...

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Thanks for bringing that link I already found the most recent one on the trade deficit for the last quarter of last year.

I am getting too old for educating people on economics

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by yellowcard

Sure you are, too bad mine is old and dusty after all Is been 28 years already.

Good luck and I suggest you review the quality of education you are getting for your money.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Yes the USA does make stuff, great durable quality products. The excuse not to buy America is a lame one its costs more....

Now look what it has cost us not to buy, we sent all our money to foreigners, to make us cheap crap that is worthless and not worth the time spent to look for it's child labor induced production.

Of course American products cost a little, that is because it is made well and is not cheap child labor. Or lead poisoned like Chinas junk, we should have remembered what our grandparents said.

Buy American, or one day, we will regret it.

Yeah, had to do it the hard way corporate America way to go losers!

Save this nation, encourage the American next to you to buy from the people, we the people, for the people.

United We Stand, The Rest Is, Not An Option!

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

That is what happen with the Auto industry, but still even when cars and not all America cars are assemble in the US most parts are not even made in America.

Still we were told by the propaganda that foreign is better while people bought into it and believe the lies.

Never my husband and I had bought so far a car that is not America name.

How people fell for the foreign made is better to foreign is cheaper is not brainer.

As America manufacturing base die out so middle class jobs were shipped oversea while many were insourced by foreigners thanks to companies visas.

Still in order to live the middle class life our nations population fell for years into debt on credit and loans.

Now Imports are falling, due to the tightening of Americans pockets.

China is suffering so all those nations in our lists of trade partners that Americans addiction for cheap foreign goods help prop and boom, while they were booming our manufacturing base was decaying.

Sorry to say this but is going to be very hard to afford American good quality items as we are becoming unemployed and homeless and destitute.

The great American dream is now move oversea.

How to fix the problem, that one no even I know how to answer.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I think you know how to fix it, I believe a lot of people know how to fix it. Its just the people we elect don't want to fix it. They have moved on to stuffing money in their walls they are getting paid so much not to fix it.

I'll outline what I think we need to do.

First, get rid of NAFTA. Make it expensive for companies to export labor and manufacture and assembling processes.

Get rid of the progressive tax system we have. Transition to a flat tax at no more than 10% fixed.

Cut the government budget by 60%. Immediately suspend all elected representatives pay and pensions.

I think between making America a wealth friendly country and make it even more enticing for them to make large amounts of cash by investing back into America, we will boom and leave everybody else behind.

In no more than Two years we can have a manufacturing base that produces all we need and plus some to export. Recession will still be deep but once we come back we will boom. But first we have to change monetary policy. We have to adapt to the founding fathers constitutional vision which is screw everyone else we will trade with you and buy your goods but we are not your friend so don't ask us for anything.

Oh, most importantly end the fed if we end the fed 3/4 of our debt will be eliminated overnight.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I remember that sometime after Ronald Reagan's "Star Wars" speech, he announced that in the future we would no longer be a manufacturing nation but a nation that provide high tech services to other countries.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

What has done the most damage to US auto makers is the Unions.

Pensions and high wages created by labor unions made it progressively impossible for US auto makers to remain competitive with foreign auto makers.

Have any idea how many retired auto workers draw full pensions?

The average wage for a seasoned union auto worker is?

No wonder so much of what is in US cars is outsourced technology.

No surprise that US manufacturing has been on the decline since before this economic crisis.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
The U.S. has been losing its manufacturing base for a long time now, at least since the 1970's. We are becoming instead a "service economy."

We are still the major exporter of aircraft (Boeing being the largest aircraft producer in the world); we also export a lot of high end computer components and software, as well as entertainment and "intellectual properties" such as books, music and movies, among many other high tech and high end products and skilled services. In addition, we have a trade surplus in education, where many of the best students from around the world come here to study.

But for the most part our output of factory-made goods is in serious decline. In a global economy we just can't make products as cheaply here as they can be made in developing countries, where not only is there cheap labor but lower taxes and an absence of safety and environmental concerns, which can be costly.

One of the major effects of this decline in manufacturing is the loss of reasonably well-paid, often unionized, jobs with benefits, which are being replaced by lower-paid jobs with no benefits in the service sector. Factory jobs were at one time at the bottom of a ladder that could eventually lead to membership in the middle class. Many service sector jobs today are dead ends.

I don't think protectionism is the answer to outsourcing. That would only disadvantage not only our own economy but the economies of most of the rest of the world.

I don't have all the answers, just some of the questions. But I'm pretty sure for the most part that our manufacturing base is going the way of the dinosaurs.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
We make the one thing everybody wants.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Yeah, and the headlights and taillights for my Toyota are also manufactured in the USA

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

Yeah, labor is cheaper outside of the USA. Makes since corps are shipping everything out. Hey, call for tech help for your internet service, and I bet they don't speak good english, but have a english sounding name

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Yes, the US still makes something - love and war.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   
My Harley is All American. You will not find a nut on it that isn't made in the great US of A.

Traded my Honda for it and even when I have to ride to work in the rain I can't be happier with my 1000 pound piece of American steel. Yes it cost me as much as a full size fully loaded truck would have, but atleast I know that it went to something that is 100 percent American.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by ColdWater
We make the one thing everybody wants.

Yes brother, we do make damn fine breasts now don't we...

Simply stunning!

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
That is what happen with the Auto industry, but still even when cars and not all America cars are assemble in the US most parts are not even made in America.

Still we were told by the propaganda that foreign is better while people bought into it and believe the lies.

Never my husband and I had bought so far a car that is not America name.

How people fell for the foreign made is better to foreign is cheaper is not brainer.

No American cars really are crap, check out the review sites (here's one www.carsurvey.org... ). Cheap parts, poor design, expensive crap is what defines American cars.

Check out these videos showing why even America's best cars are crap:
part 1: www.youtube.com...
part 2: www.youtube.com...
part 3: www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Sure, crystal meth is made in the USA.

second line.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Does the United States Make Anything Anymore?

We make Peace, Then War, Then Peace again.

This is something I just don't get. We stopped manufacturing things so what now? Are we supposed to buy the services from the places we work?

I went shopping tonight and made a mental note to look to see where everything we purchased was manufactured. Yup you guessed it China.

I used to manage a Hardware store/Lumber yard I did that for 11 years and in that time we went from maybe 10% of our items made in China to about 75% and to tell the truth most of the stuff made in China is not worth the ink that states "made in China"

Please don't get me wrong our profits went up but we also had a lot of problems with crappy products being brought back to the store for refunds and replacements.

The owner did not care at the time you see he was focused on his bottom line.

I left a few years before The Home Depot put him out of business. I guess they could buy Chinese garbage at a much lower price and put him out of business

[edit on 22-2-2009 by SLAYER69]

new topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join