It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prepare for a climate-changed world, say engineers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Prepare for a climate-changed world, say engineers

www.newscientist.com

A report by the UK's Institution of Mechanical Engineers will next month call for governments to accept that climate change is now inevitable. Strategies must be put in place now to protect our infrastructure from its worst effects, alongside existing efforts to reduce emissions, it will argue.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
At LAST!

Intelligence shines through!

Simple reasoning dictates that regardless of causality, we had better be prepared to deal with what's coming!

I have been a vocal resistor of the notion of man's singular responsibility for whatever is happening to our climate. It has been very irritating to watch politicians and celebrities plan a 'solution' to this problem, and I found it terribly transparent that it was an 'economic' one. Carbon tax will not feed us when it is too cold to grow food. Carbon tax will not quench the thirst of those dying from drought.

At least these mechanical engineers (www.imeche.org...) are thinking ahead. A day late, so to speak, let's hope not a dollar short.

www.newscientist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Oh man it's a good thing we have those Mechanical Engineers to inform our government that 'climate change' is inevitable.

I wonder if this has anything to do with Gore's "Global Warming", along with a strong belief that it means taxing us.

EDIT: It is just hilarious that governments think taking money from the people will fix all problems.

[edit on 21-2-2009 by LostNemesis]

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Well i did not need some Climate Engineers to inform us of what has been happening since 1950's. But then again, i am still waiting to see a post that Humans don't breathe Oxygen and that its a conspiracy theory.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Well it is a step in the right direction. But it doesn't mean any of them will actually listen or do anything about it.

I think they are too worried preparing for the NAU to really focus on climate change at the moment. I believe that falls just under reaching Xenu for council on psychiatry.

~Keeper

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
www.amazon.ca...

Gwynne Dyer goes well beyond the usual political rhetoric of climate change in his latest book, which I just finished reading. If you haven't heard of him he's a world-renowned journalist from Canada who has published several books on the Middle East crisis, and all with striking accuracy and a penchant for depicting reality as it is. He has consistently been a cogent, albeit somber voice of reason and truth.

This next century really is going to be interesting. I believe we've really begun to forget how violent our world can become, having lived through, what was it, 1000 days of relatively uninterrupted global peace until just recently when Russia invaded Georgia for a couple of weeks?

I totally agree. The world needs pragmatic solutions to climate change. What we're doing at the moment is just not enough. Carbon taxes, political rhetoric, so-called intellectual debates, liberal activism and constant proselytizing isn't going to solve anything.

Geo-engineering might be a plausible solution. Some people have suggested it would create a moral hazard, where we would just increase the size of our reflective solar shields whenever carbon accumulation reached a certain level. I disagree. We're currently beyond the tipping point. Governments are just not committed to limiting the emission of anthropogenic greenhouse gases. I believe we are already in a moral quagmire, so the argument above just doesn't cut it. At least with an engineering solution, we would have to time to set our priorities straight. Just 1% of global GDP would be sufficient. Then again, you could take that argument and apply it to anything, including eliminating poverty and disease, advancing space technology, etc. but none of that seems to be happening at the moment...

The most recent climate change reports that the public has access to are effectively irrelevant to the degree of at least one decade, since the time it takes to analyze and publish the data is significant, but it must also go through the hands of several interest groups, and even some government lobbies and especially the Department of Defense before anything can actually be defined as certain.

We need a global, real-time portal, available to the public, where climate change data can be actively reviewed by anyone with access to the Internet. We need to digitize the space around our planet, i.e. a Google Earth for the climate and weather systems. Public awareness is important, but that can only do so much. There is a limit to what voters can get their governments to do, considering law is the only policy at their disposal, and subsidization and massive infrastructure projects are usually met with disapproval by the majority of the tax base. Geo-engineering solutions should be our top priority now. Wealthy philanthropists should spend their money on climate change, because when this starts happening, all the donations they've ever made to disease prevention and management, education, venture capitalism, food aid, etc. will all become irrelevant, since most of recipients' land will buried beneath the desert.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I think we should shoot all cattle, as they are contributing to global warming, oh wait, were ontop of the food chain, well guess that means we should shoot ourself's.

Its way too obvious to dismiss that global warming has begun. All across Europe freak weather patterns have bee far more frequent than in the last 50 years. Crops are not performing as they did 25 years ago.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
My relatives in southern Croatia are having a very difficult time planting grapes now. They used to grow very ripe and in abundance. However, they've only been aware of this problem for the past fifteen years so it could just be an unlucky drought. They say the soil is especially bad for growing at the moment, but that it has been worse. I don't know if this is just a local event, or part of a series of larger phenomena. But it does appear that southern Europe is having a very difficult time now overall in agriculture.

themes.eea.europa.eu...

50 year moving temperature average in Europe comparing this century (red and blue lines) to the previous (straight black line)
dataservice.eea.europa.eu...

[edit on 21-2-2009 by cognoscente]

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I have the entire walking with Dinosaurs collection and me and my 3 year old watch them all the time. Every episode deals with the climate change and the creatures that survive in them. There was a climate with 42%oxygen levels and another climate where it was so hot and so dry nothing could survive on land.
Which climate are we headed for? I think it comes in cycles and we need to try and figure out the entire cycle so we can plan for things to come.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkice19

I have to agree with you on this one. Climate change? Yeah, sure. But not "Global Warming", sorry.

Our whole solar system goes through cycles. It was said in reports that all the planets, the entire solar system itself is experiencing this stuff. Somehow, I seriously doubt it is because we have cars and cows.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Kudos to them for making the government aware of the coming changes.

While I was reading that, I kept thinking to myself "Why Mechanical Engineers? Seems like an unexpected bunch to be pushing for climate awareness."

Ah well, good to see fellow engies over there doing this.

Britain is in a tough spot for a climate shift of any kind. Their way of life, building designs, literally everything is geared toward relying on that warm current. Without it, they'll have to start taking tips from Newfoundland and Labrador on how to survive what can only be described as frozen hell... with rain.

... crazy Newfies.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
LostNemesis, while I don't personally agree with on that one detail, I'm glad we can all concede that something big is happening to our planet. We live in a world specifically designed for within the physical parameters of the latest short interglacial, which has so far lasted only 11,000 years. Some call it the Holocene epoch. In fact, extreme hot and extreme cold geological periods do dominate our planet. This is relevant because we actually speciated in one of those extremely short intervals of relative calm between them. So any sudden shift in climate isn't that good for us at all, either way you look at it.

So if we were to somehow lose hold of our technological ability (through the systematic collapse of civilization), there is absolutely no reason we should survive, in our present form (our DNA would change), beyond this relatively short period of time. Surely we don't want to evolve. Any specialized biological evolution would be a step backward, I'm sure, as we would have to sacrifice something, and since our brain currently requires the largest amount of our energy, that would be the very first target I'm absolutely positive. On the other hand, there could be some sort of selective pressure as a result of reciprocal meshing between our mental capacity and our need to survive. But even this scenario is entirely contingent on the survival of a band of people that manage to reproduce for several generations, and at a certain tipping point this loops back onto itself until we find ourselves at the first scenario, where we evolve into something grotesquely unfamiliar. It would be very unlikely that we could do both at once, both preserve mental capacity and survive harsh environmental change. That would actually require more technological innovation, but this scenario is examining what happens to us AFTER civilization collapses, so that point is moot as well (we wouldn't have the foundation or the patience to rebuild under such difficult circumstances). Either way, humanity no longer exists in each of these scenarios. And we want to preserve humanity, right? Isn't that what the sum total of all our art, history, literature and all other modes of human expression is in the end about? Anyway, I went off on a tangent...

What I don't understand is how our civilization can expect to weather life on this planet without thinking about the future. I have some theories on the deficiency of long-term rationality in humans, but I won't go into that; it's much too lengthy. There is a whole evolutionary history connecting all the species on this planet, which yes, does include Homo sapiens, that limits our ability to prepare for catastrophic failure at some point or another (obviously life has persisted in whatever shape it has taken, but the key is that individual species aren't permanent in any way). I mean, if life were effectively one massive, globular organism then sure, my argument wouldn't hold, but to think that species, which are so physically small as to be locally contingent on their environment, can survive without adaptation is a crucial mistake.

Ok, this all seems like common sense and I'm sure many of you are aware of this. But our government obviously isn't. And if our government isn't, then we can be certain that the majority of the people aren't, considering there are thousands upon thousands of private interest groups and lobbies that would rather put their own specific desires ahead of the bigger picture... So we have to utilize this tool that is liberal democracy to its fullest extent, because we're so far below reaching capacity, and I might say we are essentially failing our forebears the ancient Greeks with the misuse of this exceptional gift, for whatever it's worth, and for all my own contentions with Democracy in general...

It's fitting that the mechanical engineers are finally exchanging their opinions with the world beyond. If we're going to work to ensure our survival into the indefinite future, to pass down all our art, our most special thoughts, our dearest emotions, and this allowance that we call intelligent consciousness to posterity, then the first step is in re-engineering our relationship with the world. There is definitely a renewed interplay between person and environment, and this next century of our life will define that special transaction.

[edit on 22-2-2009 by cognoscente]

new topics

top topics

join