It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lawless Spider - kintiskton llc

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I had some unusual web traffic on my website yesterday, and when I investigated, I found that my entire site had been crawled by a spider that doesn't honor the robots.txt. The name given in my server logs was kintiskton llc and the visits came from the following IP addresses:

At first I just assumed that this spider was either searching for vulnerabilities for hacking, or was seeing if there were any email forms to exploit. After I researched this spider, though, I noticed that the vast majority of the people that were hit were blogs. This got me thinking, why would someone need a comprehensive database of all the pages in a website, even those that the site owner wishes not to be displayed to the general public. Do you think this could be the NSA or homeland security searching for information on possible terrorist attacks? Is it another government?

You would think that if this were a government probe that they would make sure to keep the traffic invisible. Maybe the fact that it isn't is a sign of the times. Am I just being overly paranoid?

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I'm not real technical with IP stuff. Did you notice a common catch phrase in the blogs or topics covered ie."ufo" or are these random pings?

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I didn't notice a common theme in the subject matter of individual sites, but the sites that were hit had every single page crawled, no exceptions. For me this was only 36 pages, but other sites had hundreds crawled.

Unfortunately, I didn't keep track of the sites where I found a lot of my information, but here is the link to google support where I started searching.

www.google.com...

It looks like this started about a year ago, but the most recent post was just yesterday.

[edit on 21-2-2009 by Bullfrog]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
The way I found to block these guys are to deny Access through the htaccess. I just blocked them and if it was a lawless spider, I won't allow it access!!

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
The way I found to block these guys are to deny Access through the htaccess. I just blocked them and if it was a lawless spider, I won't allow it access!!

I have done that, and so far it has worked like a charm (at least until they change IP addresses
)

My biggest question isn't how to stop them, but why are they doing what they are doing? Why would anyone who is not a search engine want a comprehensive database of every page on the internet. There are much more efficient methods for hackers to discover exploits, and there are easier ways for a spammer to get a hold of email addresses and email forms.

Maybe this isn't the government searching for terrorist keywords as much as a new form of vandalism, one that wrecks any sort of analytics or testing metrics that you might be running.

[edit on 23-2-2009 by Bullfrog]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I love people who put up information accessible to the public internet they want to keep private. Now, does that make any sense? Not to me.

top topics

join