It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

These are exciting times to be alive, just like the Sixties

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Now that was just a wonderful post OHD. Granted, perhaps a percentage of our 60's Yippies, transformed into 80's Yuppies, but I think people should recognize that not everyone belonging to our generation supported 'the movement' back then. On every major university campus, left leaning activist organizations faced-off against their conservative counterparts. It was a powerful decade in many respects...a value defining era for most I'm sure...impossible to divorce ourselves completely from our counter-culture roots...even if we wanted to.

Your tip about doing something for some-one each day, for free & for fun...and if you get found-out, it doesn't count...is a simple, but very powerful spiritual practice. Thanks for reminding me

GL

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ahabstar
Yeah, but the music today is just utter crap.

Amen to that... these days the music kids listen to is well... over saturated.... corporate owned...

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 02:32 AM
link   
These are just more than exciting times, these are THE TIMES.

Thousands of generations from now people will wonder what it must of been like living now. Just as thousands of generations ago people gazed into to the future looking ahead, just wondering what it will be like. Now, Here, where the battle between love and fear come to a head. The next evolutionary shift in the consciousness of man! Its way more excitng than any ancient Egyptians, or Jesus, or Medievl times, or french revolution, or any war, or the sixties movement.

This is IT. Right here, unfolding day by day, open your eyes and enjoy the show dammit!! Surreal isn't it? Nobody said it was going to be easy, its going to be crazy!!!! You're part of it! Its all attitude, all a state of mind, be positive, the future depends you, don't let us down, all be happy and in wonder, love will prevail.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by gottago
I'd prefer less "excitement." Are you actually serious? The onset of a Depression far worse and virulent than that of 1929, wrapped up with the possibility of civil strife, gov't control, and general misery of heretofore unimaginable scale and intensity--you find invigorating?

Oh boy, are you naive. I assume you are so young that you have no relatives who lived through the last depression to give you a clue as to what to expect. If you did, you'd probably brush them off as "old windbags." And even '29 could very well pale in comparison to what is to come. We are on the precipice of a worldwide financial collapse of unprecedented breadth and depth. Wake up, don't be so childish.

Edit to add: I was a kid in the sixties, a hell of a lot of it was pathetic and lame, even to a kid. Embarrassingly naive. I don't think that that sort of youth-centric hedonism, born of unprecedented post-WWII prosperity, when mom and dad were comfy, gas was 15 cents a gallon, and life in the burbs was still good, has a snowball's chance in hell of springing up in the next 3-4 years. Get a reality check.

[edit on 21-2-2009 by gottago]

I couldn't of put it better myself!!!! This is what you would call being out of touch if you ask me. People have know idea whats coming and this thread proves that! The idea that we are living in great times is really insluting to say the least.. Im sure you didn't mean it that way but you really have to think about all the people and wild life around the world suffering for no good reason! Their are more childeren dieing of starvation and a lack of healthcare now more than ever! I wont even get into the Rape and sex slave trade issue going on in some countrys!

Have you seen the way that we treat or own live stock in this country?

We are at the door of another dark age and nobody seems to get it!!!

[edit on 2/23/2009 by XcLuciFer]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
This is a thread of semantics, with all respect.

In actuality from a historical perspective, the current era will most likley be seen as a continuation of social trends that have roots in the post WWII era. This first decade of the 21st century will be measured eventually as just another decade following that major historical event. The 1960's, 70's etc. all culturally influenced by the second world war. (Yes, even the events of 911 and aftermath can be traced to the immediate post war era.)

So comparing this era to the 1960's is really a bit inaccurate. Superficially speaking of one or two aspects of a decade in no way defines the entire decade nor is it representative of all the varied events that occured in that decade, all things historically speaking tend to interact and be interwoven.

And 'exciting' is incredibly subjective. What one views as 'exciting another may view as 'chaotic'.

The 1960's werent 'THE time' and neither is the current decade or era. Retrospection has a habit of romantisizing periods in time and this has clearly occurred regarding specifically the 1960's.

'Interesting' would be a more accurate term.

But then most time periods are interesting anyway.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
In the 1960's, I was a gradeschooler who spent my afternoons watching The Flintstones, Gilligan's Island, The Little Rascals, Dark Shadows, and Star Trek etc. and was oblivious to the Vietnam war. As the elderly say, "My day", was the discoteque scene.
This is for certain: There will --never-- be Ones again, like Jimmy Hendrix, Jannis Joplin, The Doors, even Led Zeppelin. May their songs remain the same......

[edit on 23-2-2009 by simonecharisse]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Semantics indeed.

I stand by exciting because people are getting excited. If it is true we create our own reality it is definitely forming right before our eyes.

There is not going to be a dark age, on the contrary, the coming age with see more enlightenment than we have ever seen before.

Mankind is coming of age, we may at last even be allowed into the Galactic Federation once we get rid of all the doomsday weapons...

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
MoonMine, I am on board with you. I -had- contributed to the doom-and-gloom, guiltely, but only once, I think. But I am facing the fact that I am sick and tired of all the doom and gloom. Precicely, all of this -frightenning- ratchetting-up on the extreme right wing, who are all getting ready for Civil War Two, against the United States Federal Government, over guns and "pinkos". It's SO depressing. Just truly an energy vampire on me. I want to know that the future is only going to get better and better, and easier and more fun. For EVERYONE, not just for some. Granted, there is nothing-------that any of us can do, if a dangerous asteroid or biblical global flood, and ectetera, is coming; except try to hide and survive from it. Maybe all of the hatred radiating from everyone's brains, is magnetizing those in, though?

[edit on 23-2-2009 by simonecharisse]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by XcLuciFer

Exciting times? Yeah real exciting. It's going so exciting when people can't feed their families and people are starving. The excitment level is going to be so high when the riots start and the government cracks down people and scores will be killed. I really don't know how to contain myself with all the excitment.

Anyone that thinks it's going to be a love fest when the SHTF is delusional. You have no idea how people will react when faced with desperation.

That 60s hippy crap is way over rated. Most of the 60s hippies ended up materialistic yuppies in the 80s and became part of the problem.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Though these are "exciting" times, I still can't help but feel jealous towards the people of the sixties, there was still so much to do!

On the topic of music, I love me some death metal(among other things) so I'm still entertained, I just stay far away from mainstream.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I hate hippies, they ruined the world and they are all hypocrites. Any change in the 60s had little to do with them painting thier faces, eating acid giving each other STDS. Plus they all sold out.

The 60s is also responsible for the most overrated crap music ever.

People get involved not because they care, but because its trendy and the cool thing to do. Nothing ever really changes, when the kids "grow up" they lose intrest pretty fast just like all these hippies who work for corporate america and are republicans.

The vast majority are fakes just like today. You cannot do anything real when the core group are not genuine.

On the music side. I am sick and tired of people saying the music sucks if it was made after 1975. It "sucks" because you aren't listening to what is out there. If you get music from the radio your a fool. Unlike the 60s when djs would tell you what was good and like sheep you jumped on the bandwagon you have to actually search for music There are tons of more bands and thousands of avenues to discover them. The statement that the music sucks is extrememy offensive to hard working artists today and shows your ignorance. Music is also less corporate owned then it was in the 60s.....

[edit on 23-2-2009 by drock905]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
More partial to the 1950s myself. Wasnt there but know plenty of ppl that were. The 60s were HORRIBLE!! Look past all the cool movies with all the hits from the 60s as background music. It was an awful awful time.

The level of discord now is faaar less than then. The one thing that makes now possibly worse than then is that so many more lunatics have access to WMD now than ever b4. What worse is we dont have Hendrix, The Doors, CCR etc to fall back on.....

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by MoonMine

And a lot of those hippies grew up to be the bankers and politicians who raped this country the last 20 years. Too much acid indeed! Hopefully we'll do a better job than the 60's generation did.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Today Alex Jones talked about studies that show 90% of Americans will riot and rob people after 4 - 5 days without food, and after 15 days 90% of people will kill for food. HAHA I know you don't like getting a bad vibe from reality, but thats what is coming. You of course don't realize that A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE GOING TO DIE! DIE! DIE! Comprender? Over 95% of people aren't self sufficient, THEY WILL BE STARVING TO DEATH! MANY MORE WILL BE EXTERMINATED! But facing reality is negative man. The moral fabric of society has gone down the drain because of inferior parasitic "people" like your parents, and look they knocked out a clone that harbors idiotic ideas that rival thiers. Isn't that really neat?
But i'm just being negative. Don't prepare, worst of all don't arm yourself with an evil gun, go be defenseless and plant some vegetables. Social cleansing is a beautiful thing, I hope society can rid itself of inferior beings like yourself, and your parasite family and friends.

[edit on 23-2-2009 by insignificanthuman]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by insignificanthuman
Today Alex Jones talked about studies that show 90% of Americans will riot and rob people after 4 - 5 days without food, and after 15 days 90% of people will kill for food.

Maybe Alex just needs to get out more often.

A documentary you probably won't find on Prison Planet:

Playing For Change: Peace Through Music

GL

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
The Third Reich tried the "social cleansing" thing already. Don't you remember? Just watch the History Channel. And watch how --good-- people allied together, and together, vanquished Evil Nazis. At least, for awhile.

All the Hippies were trying to do, was make a stand against the assassinators of JFK, RFK, and MLK, and their napalming of children and villages, year after year, after year.
Baby.
PEACE, man !

[edit on 24-2-2009 by simonecharisse]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
This is my second to last post on ATS.

I thank you for your great posts and insights, and wish you well in your endeavours during the coming times....

Love you all regardless of differences.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by simonecharisse

Are you sure they vanquished the evil Nazis?

American companies funded the nazi war machine and many 'death doctors' and nazi scientists were shipped back to America after the war.
Hitler's death was also very suspicious, I think he got away and lived out his days in luxury somewhere.

Nazi ideology is still very much alive, I don't think we have seen the last of 'social cleansing'

Hey Moon what do you mean it's your second last post? When is your last? Why are you leaving? Don't leave your cool!

Peace

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
You are correct, vehemes, Nazi doings continued in the US, under Operation Paperclip. That is why I said ..vanquished.."for a while, at least." Those are likely incorrect semantics however, I more meant, subdued. The #3 definition in my Dictionary, "to tone down". "For a while, at least." You are certainly dead on too, that we have not seen the last, of 'social cleansing'. I am convinced, that if the laws were the same as in 1950, there would still be lynchings of black men for entertainment, to this very day.
Moon, I also hope you don't leave ATS, although I can very much understand taking a vacation from this thing, thats for sure.

[edit on 25-2-2009 by simonecharisse]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
these are amazing times. One thing that I am realizing is that when you "live through history" you are not necessarily aware that anything special is going on, even when you are close to the eye of the storm so to speak. It is only later, looking back, that events become digested and take shape as actual history.

Very few people (i.e., none of us here) really know the "back story" or have a good grasp of the big picture. Even most of those in power are probably clueless. Those that do have a good macro-understanding of what is unfolding now (politically and economically) must be terrified. You might remember recently at the G7 conference the Japanese finance minister showed up drunk and actually passed out during the meeting. It was reported as a kind of almost light-hearted comic relief story in the news but personally I found it highly frightening. I wonder if he knows something about the global economy that the rest of us are unaware of, and just couldn't handle the stress.

When the tide goes out it reveals all the muck and garbage that had been hidden on the pretty beachscape before. Now the tide is in the process of going out, so to speak. There are hidden things going on now and that have been going on that are not yet revealed, but we will learn about them in the days and months ahead. Its both frightening and fascinating to think that these things are happening right now, even though we remain unaware.

One thing to remember: Fear is the mind killer, as Frank Herbert wrote. Control your fear and you have a much better chance of making it through all this. Thinking of these times as "interesting" rather than succumbing to terror of them is a good way to combat the natural fear that we all will be facing for some time to come.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join