It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

These are exciting times to be alive, just like the Sixties

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Where is the fighting spirit?
Get a gun, sit at home and wait for the burglar?
Keep joystick in your hand

Ready to shoot...

Internet is a Planet. Dig there for gold and adamantium.
Dig Jimi Hendrix, for starters.
Can you dig him, the Voodoo Chile?
The one who anticipated all...

My opinion of the actual generation (the youth):

All bribe the priest

Symbols of God, are first to be attacked by Rage.
Walls press, around claustrophobia.
Eyes fall out, throat pulsates.
Oh, let God lead you.
When all is desolation, and all gates are closed.
And Schubert’s song, in earrings.
Oh, be pugnacious!

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Into the fray...I am taking some time off from a Blacksmith gathering happening in my neighborhood to get some work done.There were over a hundred attendees,old young both sexes.No blacks.Some doing really well,others not so much.The big boys are hurting for business to keep employees.Small shops with less whiz bang technologies are able to make it.Blacksmithing produces an extreme form of value added product.We have been able to make something out of nothing since way before yer infernal combustion engine cars took over.And don't mistake me for some horse and buggy idealist,horses are dying all over as people can't afford to feed 'em.We,as a trade,did well in the back-to-the-land movement of the late 60's and early 70's.Old anvils were dusted off and relearning ancient methods commenced.Trade secrets were eagerly passed on as the old men happily found a new generation willing to listen and learn.And when you smell of coal smoke,you don't mind patchuli and B.O. is a sign of effort.Horse that farts will never tire,man that farts is the one to hire.Their traditional pool of apprentices had either disdained dirty manual labor or went off to the wars which also consumed so much of the large iron tools from the past.Nowadays there are anvils made,but not like the old.The steel is better,metallurgically and design wise they can't be beat.(Sorry)I'm not saying everyone should be a blacksmith,but we are the foundation of society.Think about it,"By hammer and Hand all Arts do stand."Blacksmiths make our own tools and also for others.Coming so close to extinction has been a big dose of humility for our trade and do we show it.Eager to help and share and trade.Was NOT always that way.But you are known by the quality of your output,not words.I can tell you if you can weld,not the other way.And no time to waste.The bad parts include being constantly burned,danger at every turn,little respect from ignoramisi,work at no pay sometimes which must be of the highest caliber despite that, and the learning curve is steep.But all the information is readily available as are tools,various fuel sources and raw mtrl's.Perseverance furthers,sayeth the I CHING.And we're alot closer to the dream than we were then,in the 60's as far as gardening technologies go.I might be talking tomatoes.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

Well the music we loved in the 60's and 70's basically all came out of the military, very interesting background on that.

AND the a lot of the ones from the 60's are the ones that are doing all this now, go figure!

But you are right about the music today all being crap! Have you looked up any of the lyrics on some of it! Yuck!!! Scary!!!

(My stepson loves a band called "Winds of Plague" and I looked up some lyrics and asked him why he listened to music with such a terrible message. He said he likes the music and can't hear/doesn't listen to the words. I told him, even if you can't understand the words, they are getting into your BRAIN, without you knowing it. I told him some people try to learn stuff in their sleep, and it is a method that can work. It's scary to think a whole generation is being conditioned by this...)

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Yes!!
Re intellectualism. Good Lord, I can remember when even Republicans had intellectual defenders of conservative values.
Some in the RP saw Harvard-educated Kennedy as a symbol of and the college protesters as pawns of the northeast "ivory towers", whose liberal agenda would be the downfall of America. They beat up on intellectualism, at the same time as the party promoted religious fundamentalism, where one had to accept dogma without thinking or questioning. Those who wanted a government, with voters who accepted their political dogma without thinking or questioning, got what they wanted.

What passes for intellectualism nowadays is listening to emotionally charged rants and raves. "Critical thinking" serves neither a state who wants control nor a corporation who would like citizens to morph into consumers whose only thinking needs to be , "Hmmmmm, which soda tastes better?" This is what we are up against nowadays, to break the stranglehold of those who would promote anti-intellectual institutions.

Originally posted by gottago
This crisis is an opportunity, I agree. That opportunity is to re-establish the founding principles of our society, and to overthrow the financial kleptocracy. That is far more possible, and more beneficial to America, than this madness. They are on the ropes, as well. It is a moment of weakness for them and for oppressive gov't as well, and allows real possibility for reform and rebirth. This is the only way to see a brighter future for ourselves and future generations--a great re-awakening.

Agree.

Originally posted by MoonMine
What makes a depression a depression? No work. Inflation.

Actually, my mother who lived during the Great Depression, said that prices were low, but people didn't have the money to buy. We MUST tell our leaders, to paraphrase, "It's the jobs, stupid!"

Ahhh, yes, some great music back then. Still listen to it.

dg! dg! A free drink to the first Swami to walk into Lounge Noir

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by MoonMine

Very true if we can be truly self supportive. Nim's Island showed how self supportive a person can be. Yet, they still had mail through a boat to be able to obtain stuff from the outside world. Even then, they really didn't need the stuff the boat brought them. I think that may be the only way to be able to survive if things do get that bad. Go find yourself a deserted island, and make sure you bring a ton of survival guides with you.

Other wise, the government has us by the balls so to speak. A person owns their own farm with a well, and has solar power for energy and heat. It gets so bad that no one can buy any of their crops, and they can't get a job. What happens to that farm? It gets repossessed, because they couldn't pay their taxes. Now the person has nothing just like everyone else.

The only other way I see a person may be able to get by is if they have a motor home, or hike and camp. I hope you really, really like the outdoors, and can find fresh water easily. That is if the government is rounding people up for "their own good" to put in their camps.

I honestly don't want things to get that bad. I don't know much about the depression. I have heard millionaires were made in the great depression, and a many through real estate. I remember there were still rich people and people who were able to keep their houses even though there were long bread lines.

The only way I can really see this getting worse than the great depression is if the wealthy loose their money, homes, and have to join the bread lines, except for the extremely rich. Or as in the case of what started in California, join a large tent city.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Feeling threatened at all times is the forte of this system.

Acquire property and then tremble in fear and threat everybody else not to come too close.

Alphabet agencies' employees have it as their job to feel threatened.

The system is working itself up in order to be more secure (and feeling threatened fueling it).

Now you feel like the system itself is a threat.

But I'd really like to see someone who has no possessions to behave like that. He can't have this feeling.

So think about it. Private property as a cornerstone of the system = a feeling of being threatened.

I don't think anyone who is for it should complain. It's exactly what was intended.

The whole idea stinks.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by MoonMine
Any flower power generation children listening?

...What scares me the most is the right to use deadly force the governments have if any form of organized resistance materialises in the near future. They will set an example and it will not be by shooting rubber bullits. They will kill you without hesitation to set an example... And if people start doubting the use of big government they will invent something to correct your doubt to have you embrace that same government which is killing your chances of a decent future for your family.

I am not 100% ready for complete chaos but I am now seriously preparing for what in my mind is inevitable... I keep telling myself not to be scared but instead to be prepared. Not easy...

Exciting times... The only thing missing is the great music like The Doors, Hendrikx, Joplin, Jefferson Airplane, CSNY, etc etc

Hi MoonMine...good post and I, as a genuine survivor of the 60's, was happy to view your thoughts and concerns.

My wife of 44 years and I were born in '46, making us the beginning of the boomers generation. We were active in the Anti-War movement and week-end hippies in Old Town Chicago in the late 60's (a REAL happening place at the time). I understand fear in standing up to the government and don't minimalize it. We came so close to a real revolution back then. Our problem was that we were too focused on ending the war as our goal and when the rulers ended it, so did they end our ambitions for revolution.

One correction to what you have stated is in order. We didn't just face "rubber bullits" back then. The four killed at Kent State U were killed by real ammo courtesy of the Ohio National Guard.

In retrospect, our generation should have done more. But we had small children who needed us to become regular citizens and conformity became our lot. Fast forward to today. We are now 62 years old and unfortunately not all that inclined to raise hell enough to change the status quo, so to speak.

I have been waiting a long time to hear the young of today yell, "Hell no, we won't go" or "America, change it or screw it" like we did. Sadly, most of what I see are good sheeple following the leader. I have been encouraged to see some willing to speak out recently. I know this is a different world where we are all monitored, catagorized and targeted for future distruction if we are found to be of independant mind.

We of my generation are dependant on the youth to catch the hope of freedom and liberty and throw off those who would enslave us to the NWO. You are our hope, MoonMine and others like you. May God impart wisdom and fire of spirit to you!

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Whoever said The Doors, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, Queen, Journey, Eagles, Aerosmith, (Yes I know a lot of those are not the 60's), are all gone?

Even if they are dead, the music is still here - and still strong amongst the upcoming generation. I am only 17, and listening to any of the above listed bands beats anything else, none the less, we are still open to new music as well (a lot of it DOES suck though).

Today are great times. Just from playing a bit of Xbox Live, I have talked to people from so many different countries. Got first hand accounts on what type of people live their etc.

Flown in planes all over the U.S

Understand subjects that my parents just look at puzzlement with.

Have half a computer in my pocket.

The internet.

The first black president.

9/11.

Economic turmoil.

Space has become something of the usual.

Cloned animals.

I could list things forever. The only people who are losing out on all of these great things are the ones who refuse to accept it! Stay hip old people!

Having an object 4x5 inches, that can hold 4000 of your favorite 60's songs sure beats having a pet rock, don't it?

I just wish everyone could be happy AND face reality.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by FritosBBQTwist

Pet Rocks were a 70's thing.
Most hipsters couldn't afford them.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Cloned animals...
Cloned people...
Cloned presidents...
Cloned gamers...

Fascinating!

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Way to go on dissing a whole generation of musicians, you guys who said today's music sucks could at least started the sentence with "well, in my opinion" but no you just assume that today's music sucks and requires no talent just because you've seen some "edgy" videos that your children watch on t.v. And on top of that you assume music today sucks because of HIP-HOP LOL BECAUSE THAT MUSIC DEFINITELY DEFINES ME AND MY GENERATION TO THE MAX. Not even all hip-hop is even remotely close to bad, (deltron 3030, sage francis, NWA, etc.. all sing about, and with talent, about the same kind of crap this forum talks about). I'm not even going to go into metal (which IS my music), because I know you'll assume that I eat kittens and slaughter the innocent all day.
Look up some contemporary musicians like Buckethead, Steve Vai, Gordian Knot, Cynic, Paul Gilbert, Primus, Rage Against the Machine, Opeth, Meshuggah, Control Denied, Deltron 3030, The Mars Volta, Coheed and Cambria, Thrice (80s music can go either way)...and tell me that they suck and have no talent. Sorry, Jimi Hendrix was f'ing great but he would get blown out of the water by many, many musicians today. And guess what, I LOVE CLASSIC ROCK, I grew up on it and the music of today is just a natural progression from it.
And yea I agree we live in interesting times possibly more so then the 60s. History is a great tool for the young that want to learn

P.S. Sorry all but being a musician myself and making a living off of it (barely) few things irk me as much as assuming a whole generation of musicians have no talent at all. And yes i play death metal *bangs head*

Cheers!

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by DangerDeath
Cloned animals...
Cloned people...
Cloned presidents...
Cloned gamers...

Fascinating!

You can do something evil with about every single thing in this world (not sure if you are implying that it is bad).

Regardless, it is "exciting".

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahabstar
Yeah, but the music today is just utter crap. But I guess we will be living in communes soon enough, just hope it is not one of the government sponsored ones.

But if you think about it, all the institutions that they flower children wanted to go are the ones that falling hard now. Why are they not out cheering about it now? heh-heh

Do you still wear bell bottoms?

You should be more grateful that there is an abundance of music out there and you can listen to tons of it digitally. Gone are the days of vinyl record players, eight tracks, cassette tapes, and cds.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
MoonMine,

Adversity breeds advancement. I can agree with this. But I agree with some of the other posters when they say you are abit naive. What we are going through is not much different than any other time. Surprisingly enough time repeats itself. Does anybody catch on? Not really. Look at it this way though, lets say you get your "quick chop with an axe" scenario. How would you feel about this change if you or your friends or family were damaged by this "chop". I've never had to hold my loved ones in my arms as they bled to death. But based on what you describe, you might get the opportunity. Be very wary of what you wish for. It is not the governments that make the decisions, its us. Unfortunatley, people here in north america are negative by reflex. We have it good, and we never wanted to lose it. We became spoiled, and now that we are losing it, we think of the worst possible situations. The problem is, all this negativity isnt going to provide a positive result. I hear more doom and gloom than I hear of possible solutions. It seems that the entirety of the world has become struck dumb, and now they require the world government more than ever. We can turn the tide, but only if we pull together. Like I said, with adversity, we move forward. You will see small businesses popping up all over. More community based, people will work outside of the reach of the government. Trust me. We have done it dozens of times, in different eras. Things dont change lol. Dont think of bloodshed and destruction, focus on what we could accomplish as a society. Together. Sure that sounds communist, but that is the direction the world is moving. A global conciousness. We are all in this together now. You can call yourself what you want. But if we dont work together, we will perish. So all I can do is keep on trucking, pull people together, and pray. Nobody said its going to be easy. But we dont need bloodshed and uprisings to bring change. Just give it some thought. Have a good one.

Wally C.

[edit on 22-2-2009 by newage2012]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenbob

It is a generalization. Everything we say would need a page thread if we wanted to fully explain ourselves.

I have listened to many of the bands you listed actually.

Having talent and something worthy of listening two are two different things.

Almost all of my friends started listening with "current" music. While they still like it, I got them hooked on the good stuff (sounds like a drug right?) such as Pink Floyd, The Doors, etc.

I would all be for "new bands" if they actually had the same type of chill attitude as the classics. The fact is that they do not for many of the old time critics.

PERSONALLY - I do not listen much to Hendrix (a bit to old for me) etc. I prefer Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, Eagles, Supertramp, and the list goes on.

Like I said. Talent =/= listening quality.

Being able to play a crazy guitar does not equal vocal/musical harmony.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by MoonMine

You even have your own Iraq-nam war to go to. You can hump ruck in the sand and dine on Meals Ready to Excrete. How cool is that? Now all we need is a draft. There is nothing like conscription to make life interesting and bring us back to the 60's. I agree that the music was a lot better than the anti-intellectual, toneless cRap produced now.

Remember the Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times."

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
"Get a job hippie!"said HERACAT as he pulls his hair into a ponytail and heads for work.

Some of those 60's sell-outs are the ones who helped get us into this mess. We don't need any more of that crap. We need people with new ideas.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by FritosBBQTwist

Originally posted by DangerDeath
Cloned animals...
Cloned people...
Cloned presidents...
Cloned gamers...

Fascinating!

You can do something evil with about every single thing in this world (not sure if you are implying that it is bad).

Regardless, it is "exciting".

Being fascinated with the world (which is a virtue of the young) is by no means the same as understanding the world.

You haven't yet been hit by the evil, so you think that this mocking bird is evil

There are people who never recognized nor saw or heard "good". Can you imagine the confusion they live in?

Nothing can be proved to them.

But if you miss all the suffering that is happening in this world, you've really seen nothing but commercials.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
HaHa , you guys talk about how great things are today, the internet has made you all lazy fat slobs, 50% of young people are obese in the US, cooking a meal nowadays is defined as adding Ketchup to your fries, and as far as being smarter, some are very smart, mostly the minority immigrated , other Americans are too busy worhshipping these types of icons
and dont forget this sweetheart, god bless her dumb ass
you gotta admire todays school system, both these icons passed HIGHSCHOOL

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by FritosBBQTwist

Yes you are absolutely right that talent does not necessarily mean good listening, and I probably came in too strong with the talent part, I was trying to say that a lot of people appreciate and love complex music and rhythms and for the most part you do need more talent (this includes a good ear) as the music becomes more complex. And thank you for stating your personal preferences instead of generalizing (and your preferences are kick ass by the way). It is just what bothers me is that people make these off-hand comments, and perhaps don't realize that to some people saying a certain style "sucks" ( im not talking about criticism) is just as disrespectful as saying to a christian your religion sucks, or to a chinese person that China sucks. Music is a basic trait of humans that seperate us from animals and I think it deserves some kind of respect.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join