It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange bird found in Mexico

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by eaganthorn
reply to post by jfj123

How do I explain the difference as you perceive it? The individual's perception of what they see. If you look at only one picture of any animal and that is your only exposure to that creature, it is conceivable that you may misinterpret what you see in a second photo or brief video, especially if you have concreted an alternate concept of the animal.

For me, I saw a Nightjar, commonly referred to as a Nighthawk, recognizing the root of the species, small beak, big wide mouth, tiny hairs around the beak, found in Mexico. No mystery for me and I did not notice any discrepancy in the video to its appearance, none at all. For me, the little guy looked exactly as it should.

Reminds me of three blind men describing an elephant to a sighted person.
That isn't I Night Hawk, I think you are the one misinterpreting things, it is totally different, it's a frogmouth.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

Hey chuckles, a nighthawk, a nightjar, a whooperwill, a frogmouth are all the same species of animal in North and South America, the same thing, do you get it? Do you read me, chuckles?

Do you not know how to use your computer to look things up? Or do you just know how to make a fool of yourself?

And this is a damn shame, I generally get along with Auzzies.

[edit on 2/21/2009 by eaganthorn]

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by CoolBlackHole

Again, you haven't been reading. Someone already said they let it go.

2nd line

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoArmsJames
reply to post by CoolBlackHole
Again, you haven't been reading. Someone already said they let it go.

1. Hmmmm, "somebody said" they said they heard someone say he saw how they purportedly did... So convincing...

2. By the way, does anybody see a bird's beak here? I can't.

[edit on 22-2-2009 by CoolBlackHole]

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Frogmouth, nightjar, nighthawk, whippoorwill .. all the same family, and it's one of them.

And the mouth does look rather reptilian; that would be why they call it a "frogmouth."

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I'm not going to translate everything they said word for word since it's 11pm where I'm at, but basically this is what it boils down to:

In this small colony, some witnesses saw a strange bird that they believed might have been a witch., they said it had a huge wingspan, with shining eyes, and according to one of the witnesses interviewed, a long beak (which of course is not true as you can see from the video)

They sent in an investigator to find out about this incident, and after the creature was captured, it was stated that the witnesses accounts were obviously over exaggerated since the bird was smaller, did not have a long beak. However, they did say that this particular bird was strange looking. This bird was later then released into the wild near where it was found/captured.

So no, it wasn't left to die in a cage as one forum poster here indicated.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by spec_ops_wannabe
Yup, nothing to see here folks.
Just another Nighthawk:

Unless you've never seen a nighthawk... this creature is new to me and an amazing one as well.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Looks like an iguana mated with a desert eagle.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-in-AR
For the life of me I can't understand how people can have the answer to the question given within the first five posts and then 20 posts later we have people speculating that this is evidence of a new evolutionary leap due to gallactic alignments in conjunction with 2012.

Good grief people!
I have thought it is a little cliche to use the website motto, but seriously people, give it a shot.

www.tucsonaudubon.org...
I believe this particular bird is probably the "common nighthawk" and not the "lesser nighthawk."

That's because sometimes people post based on the OP and not the following responses.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Heike

MAN! Them's some ugly birds!

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Jay Leno NightHawk. or Steven Tyler Nighthawk.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
One of the few memories I have before the age of 5 was finding a dead "Nighthawk" and running to my Father with it. A couple of nights later he pointed two more out in the sky at nearly sunset in the same area. He told me they were eating the flying insects that were heavy in the sky at twilight during the hot months.

I've seen many in the years afterward. Yes, that is a Nighthawk. Really hard to find in the day due to the natural camouflage, but in the air at twilight they are easy to identify by the pattern under the wings. They come out about the same time as the Bats and for the same reason.

More evidence the Internet is a horrible place to get an education.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Gosh I hate the quality of youtube videos.

Look at 1:22. You can 'clearly' see the beak.

It's one of the birds mentioned previously. A dirty, beaten up ragged one at that.

Case closed.

P.S. It certainly does look like Bird and Reptile hybrid but when you see the beak....

[edit on 21-2-2009 by Jinni]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
As stated it IS a bird, not a reptile.
It's feathers seem to mimic the colors of the bark of a specific tree.
Seen these before many times.

I can see how those unfamiliar would assume it to be an unknown species. God knows they're out there to be found. We're still finding them as a mater of fact, but this one is not an unknown.

I think these folks should have been aware of this as I am almost certain it is indigenous to those parts.

Why are they feigning ignorance?
Maybe they don't get around much though so I don't know.

Everyone saying that the mouth doesn't appear to be that of a bird may not have seen baby birds begging for food.

Mouth is exactly the same.

What really disturbs me is that the villagers thought it was a witch.

Someone get them the Discovery channel ASAP!

- Lee

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
wrong thread, sorry

but i might as well post here, strange, well in the video they never said what kind of bird it was but if was something extremely different im pretty sure the man being interviewed would of said something

[edit on 22-2-2009 by Mondax]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I'll get you some proof... wait up.

Here is some photos I took of a family of these things living in my back yard.

Frogmouths / Nighthawks etc. Same difference.

Oh look, I discovered a reptilian witch species!

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
hahahaha.. The crytozoologist couldn't figure it out then after a couple posts on ATS we all know what the bird really is.. It is pretty funny if you think about it.

[edit on 22-2-2009 by etombo]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by etombo

ATS solves a lot of things that 'experts' cant seem to.

We have our fare share of eccentric members, but we have a lot of intelligent ones too

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join