It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cosmic Stage Set for Comet Lulin's Fly-By

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Cosmic Stage Set for Comet Lulin's Fly-By

www.foxnews.com

A recently discovered comet is making its closest approach to Earth in the next few days and offers anyone with binoculars or a small telescope a chance to see some frozen leftovers of our solar system's making.

Comet Lulin has, as expected, crossed the threshold to naked-eye visibility for people with dark, rural skies. It hovers just inside that envelope of visibility, however, and is not likely visible from cities, where the glare of urban lights can drown out all but the brightest night-sky objects.

"The comet is now naked-eye (if you're out in the country) and is brightening every day as it approaches Earth," said Jack Newton, who has made several photographs of Lulin from his Arizona Sky Village, a residential community committed to pristine natural surroundings and dark skies. "Some feel it will reach maximum brightness on Saturday morning."

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.foxnews.com
www.space.com
www.space.com
www.space.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.foxnews.com.../scitech/space
www.wacotrib.com...
www.wacotrib.com...
features.csmonitor.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Comet lovers here is a Fantastic Green looking Comet, so get out your telescopes and binoculars and video camcorders and get some good video for the rest of the world to see.

February 24th is when it is supposed to be closest to the Earth. But check your weather, because if it is cloudy it won't matter how close it is, because you will never see it, so check your weather forecast before you miss out on a Green Comet.

It is supposed to be easy to see late at night right before dawn from what I gathered, and supposedly it is in the South West Skies at a low angle above the horizon. But check it out and report back if I'm wrong, because I don't want you guys to miss out on the action.

One of my friends named Jack took a photo of a comet years ago and sent it in and got 1000 dollars from Life Magazine when they ran full two page photo he took with a camera of the comet. In the foreground of his photo was an old windmill, in the background of course was the comet steaking across the sky.

Comet Lulin won't be back for a Million Years, so it now or never to get a once in a lifetime picture for your own personal collection!

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I sure hope we can see this in the next 2 days. This is an awesome find, TY, Russian Scientist

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Yummy Freelunch

You are too good Yummy Freelunch. You are the one that found out that it was coming in close, I just posted it and got the one whole point. I noticed that Lulin had been posted before, but not like I posted it; obviously they milked Lulin for all it had, lol.

Are you doing any more sky diving, or skin diving by that pirate ship you found that has ghosts?

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Great ...

i have everything ready...

its going to be so..good...

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Wonder if I'll be able to see it over here in the UK?

Second line

and a third

wow, a fourth..

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
the article tells us the comet id green because of the chemicals in the comet head...

when i had a fireplace going, the presence of copper would make the flames green

does the comet have a lot of copper thats burning off??

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by RussianScientists
reply to post by Yummy Freelunch

You are too good Yummy Freelunch. You are the one that found out that it was coming in close, I just posted it and got the one whole point. I noticed that Lulin had been posted before, but not like I posted it; obviously they milked Lulin for all it had, lol.

Are you doing any more sky diving, or skin diving by that pirate ship you found that has ghosts?

HAHA, woohoo ONE point
Oh well, it's all good. No, havent skydived lately, I think I'll sleep for awhile until later when I can go out and catch a glimpse of our green comet

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio

the article tells us the comet id green because of the chemicals in the comet head...

when i had a fireplace going, the presence of copper would make the flames green

does the comet have a lot of copper thats burning off??

Hey, good point! It does make flames green, doesnt it, copper, I mean. It also says its a backwards flying comet, strange things.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Yes, the comet Lulin is a very strange comet.

It makes me wonder how it can be zipping through our solar system in Reverse.

Also the Green color is very interesting.

Has anybody gotten a photo or video of this fabulous comet yet?

None of us will be around in a Million years to get another chance at capturing such a wonder on film making this extremely rare on all three counts: (1) Green, (2) flyng backwards and (3) returns every million years.

Just think the last creatures to see it were probably the Dinosaurs; that would be great to tell your decendants in your photo album.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

St Udio, you must be correct in your question, it must have copper or something else that we are unaware of that makes the comet bright green. Makes one wonder doesn't it.

Frequency, pressure and/or speed might have something to do with it, but I think your assumption about (Cu) copper is the main ingredient in Lulin giving us the spectacular green luminescence or light given off.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by RussianScientists

RussianScientists,
I posted the answer to your question in the other thread here.

Here's a recent photo of Lulin:

Source: spaceweather.com

There's actually nothing that unusual about a comet being green, and I believe long period comets (as they are known) like Lulin are actually thought to outnumber short period comets.
Here are some previous examples of 'green' comets:

Comet Holmes:

Source: skyandtelescope.com

Comet Encke:

Source: utahskies.org

Comet Loneos:

Source: dl-digital.com

[edit on 23-2-2009 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
C.H.U.D. those are some fantastic photos that you have put up on this thread for all to see, now and in the Future, Thanks.

Hopefully there will even be more photos of Lulin for all to see. But those other comet photos look fantastic, especially the big one.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by RussianScientists

Youre welcome RussianScientists.

Comets are amazing aren't they! Not only do they put on sublime displays like this, but they also give us many meteor showers too!

There are already loads of photos If you look around.

Here too

new topics

top topics

join