It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toxic dog could have been avoided!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
According to a newspaper article I read, there is a toxic, new breed--the Chihuahua-dioxin mix.
Yes, you read it right...dioxin!

I contest that spell check used to edit articles, books, etc. have led to an audience that automatically assumes that what is printed is correct. This is terrible, to pass along errors!
I'ld like to believe it's a conspiracy to dumb us down, but, unfortunately, it's our own cultural unawareness, a refusal to slow down and pay attention combined with an over reliance on machines.

I recently read a book by a highly intelligent author on a highly timely topic. After a few pages, I realized that no human editor could possibly have read one word! The book looked and read like a high school Freshman's rough draft for an English class. If I were this author, I would have sued the publisher.

The toxic dog was written by an American reporter. Globalization, with "editors" in Asia using a computer to cheaply "edit" American publications, will only add to the cheapening of what is written in English.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by desert

I agree, but it may also be real people doing it that just don't understand how to spell English words, or understand the context they are supposed to be used in.

I saved a tag off a Christmas gift my daughter received, pajamas that came from China, the tag read as follows.....

Washing Directions

warm water linder 30C (under)

no ohlorine (chlorine)

hang in ool rlace (cool place)

mid iron 120 C

lololol!

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
You did a good job translating the English instructions for me, as I might still be wondering what the new chemical ohlorine was (related to oleo?
). And far be it for me to sit down with a Chinese dictionary and translate an English instruction. I might end up telling someone there to "drown the nearest frog" instead of something mundane as "tear here".

Years ago a college classmate got a job translating Boeing aircraft manuals into Spanish for sales to South America. He jokingly would say that he hoped everything was translated correctly, as he wouldn't want to cause an airplane to crash.

I think this story was written by a young person, who had heard someone else use the term incorrectly and probably had never heard about dioxin. A computer spell/grammar check would not have picked up the incorrect usage.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Here, since you liked that one, I found this site a while ago, and I saved it because it was so "laugh out loud" funny! This is a collection of signs from around the world that have unusual wording and the like. It comes from the Telegraph.co.uk, and the section is called Sign Language.

I haven't looked at all of them, I saved the site so I could go through all at my leisure some day, but what I did look at had me laughing uncontrollably.

The foreign ones are hilarious, especially when they are trying to *explain*something to foreign tourists. lol Get ready to laugh!

Sign Language site

new topics

top topics

join