It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Third World Retreat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I have the opportunity to go were my dollar is worth approximately 40 of theirs. It is a poor country filled with poverty in the city centers but in the country many are self contained with plenty of food from rice too fish and fruit hanging from trees.

My question is, how do you think the global systemic collapse will affect a third world country? I would tend to think since they have already developed a lifestyle free from consumerism the effects will be not as drastic or take a lot longer to feel. Especially away from city centers. What are your thoughts?

When the SHTF i am ready to walk away from everything and jump on a plane, i need to be careful not to wait to long in case the airlines cease to operate.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
If you think it would be good for you and your family, then I would suggest that you do it. Just know that, even before things get tough, you're not going to be able to live the same way that you do where you live now [I miss Papa John's and Old Spice body wash!
], even though your money gets more of theirs.

I lived in Hungary for a year while I was in college. Then, $1=~220 Hungarian Forint. Initially, I thought I was rich! I loved carrying around the 10,000 Forint bill. But, the money bought just as much. Cars cost the same, electronics, food. The numbers are just a little higher than you're used to seeing.

I live in Germany now, and it's basically the same thing--though the numbers are a smidgin smaller since the euro is stronger than the dollar. When you convert the prices, it all works out to be about the same. I guess what I'm getting at is that cost/currency value is all relative and its pretty uniform throughout the world. Except gasoline. Here in Germany, one gallon of gas is between $6-$8!

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Great Day
I have the opportunity to go were my dollar is worth approximately 40 of theirs. It is a poor country filled with poverty in the city centers but in the country many are self contained with plenty of food from rice too fish and fruit hanging from trees.

My question is, how do you think the global systemic collapse will affect a third world country? I would tend to think since they have already developed a lifestyle free from consumerism the effects will be not as drastic or take a lot longer to feel. Especially away from city centers. What are your thoughts?

When the SHTF i am ready to walk away from everything and jump on a plane, i need to be careful not to wait to long in case the airlines cease to operate.

Nations that are already poor are less affected by reccession and currency fluctuations than rich nations. Poorer nations economies are less vulnerable to the effect of oil on their economies.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
With due respect to Octotom, Germany and Hungary are NOT third world or even second world countries, so their price indexes are going to be similar to US and UK prices.

Where you will notice differences are in latin american, asian, african and some meditteranean countries.

As has been stated, to an extent, its all relative, ie: For someone from a cold northern climate to go and live in a hot southern one, you exchange your heating bills/insulation/double glazing for air conditioning/swimming pools etc etc.

The big differences you will probably notice, depending on where you are going to, is the quality of local produce, such as food. Not only is it mostly good quality, it tastes good and is cheap to buy. You will also notice the cost of living being maybe a third of what you are used to. Where you cop out normally is on luxury goods, especially imported ones.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I understand that Germany isn't a third world country. A case could be made for Hungary being so though. I think when I was their it was a second world country.

I mispoke earlier when I said that Hungarian prices are similar to the rest of the West. Things were more their. I had to buy a mouse for my computer and it cost me 13000HUF [~$55-60]. A similar one in America, when I was done with school, was like $15. I was mad. Some Hundyais [spelling?] in the States cost under $10,000 [at least when I was last their they did]. In Hungary, it was like $20,000. It was funny to see cars cost, 5,000,000 and it be a deal!

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by octotom

I live in Germany

Huh? How is Germany a third world country?

Germany has the same GDP per capita as the USA. Its basically the exact same in wealth and living standards.

First World = Most of EU, US, Canada etc
Second world country = India, Serbia etc.
Third World country = Nigeria, Somalia etc

If you moved to a country like Croatia/Serbia/Poland etc with $100,000, you would live well for a decade. Their Infrastructure's are pretty good and there is a lot of space to disappear.

There are many other more "US friendly" countries around the world that would work the same way.. for the time being anyway.. until they become developed. Panama, Mexico etc

Nations that are already poor are less affected by reccession and currency fluctuations than rich nations. Poorer nations economies are less vulnerable to the effect of oil on their economies.

This depends on whether that country depends on foreign aid (which most developing countries do) or Oil production and sale. Both these types of countries have been severely affected by the downturn.. A lot more than most developed nations who's economies have more robust infrastructures backing them.

[edit on 21/2/09 by Dermo]

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I never said Germany was a third world country. The purpose in my first post was to show that when moving to another country, the cost of things is going to be the same, relatively.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Hey Americans......you could always move to another country if you wanted aid from your government.

high school students get 73 million.

globalnation.inquirer.net...

i guess the homeless and jobless in the US don't need the chump change when the goverment is flushing billions.

top topics

join