It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aliens-A Really Sick Theory

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
This idea just popped into my head.

What If......

Our only effective defense against an aggressive ET invasion happens to be microbiological?

They certainly have weaponry far exceeding anything we've thought up yet.

Still we have this nasty habit of spreading germs like wildfire.

Could our common cold, the flu or something more sinister, be our only defense against
an attack?

Could this be the real motivation behind bio-weapons research?

And how does nanotechnology fit in militarily?

If we are willing to accept they have been here or ARE here, then what is keeping them away?

Perhaps we're nothing more than a microscopic experiment to them in the first place.

If it all goes to hell, they'll scoop up 144 thousand samples and start some place else.

Just food for thought

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree
Our only effective defense against an aggressive ET invasion happens to be microbiological?

Could our common cold, the flu or something more sinister, be our only defense against an attack

This was what felled the aliens in HG Wells War of the Worlds.

Could this be the real motivation behind bio-weapons research?

Metallica's latest video has a similar storyline. All Nightmare Long

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Viruses and germs take thousands or millions of years to adapt to a species. A species that wasn't even native of Earth would not be affected by our germs, viruses, bacteria. It makes for neat Sci-Fi, but doesn't apply to reality.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I think that H.G. Wells stole your idea and used it in a book The War Of The Worlds.
However i doubt that an advanced, star-faring alien civilization can be hurt using bio-warfare any more then by any other type of warfare.
As for our universe being just a giant Petri dish in some alien lab - could be. I doubt it but could be. However it would make no difference then anyway. And just as we keep interesting bacterial strains (frozen though usually) so they might do the same too. With all the gloom and despair this situation would bring - at least it will finally answer "purpose of life" question.

[edit on 21-2-2009 by ZeroKnowledge]

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by ajmusicmedia
Viruses and germs take thousands or millions of years to adapt to a species. A species that wasn't even native of Earth would not be affected by our germs, viruses, bacteria. It makes for neat Sci-Fi, but doesn't apply to reality.

We do not know that. Not yet, anyhow. And no one wants to find out the hard-way; NASA has an office dedicated to preventing that from happening.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by ajmusicmedia

Assuming the biology of a species we have no contact with, let alone how they would react on a molecular scale, is kind of like assuming they wouldn't like the color purple.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I'm just thinking IF... they were here or ARE here, why are they remaining so distant?

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by FallenFromTheTree

Maybe because they are watchers. Maybe because there is no threat.

Maybe because they find us interesting in the way you watch ants on an anthill or fish in a tank.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Its been an interesting theory for years, the old knobbling aliens with germs idea, and in all probability , would work quite well against the immune system of something from another planet. Most natural resistance to virological attack comes from building a familiarity with a virus or germ, so that your body understands it , and can remove it from the blood before it seriously damages the organs such as the kidneys liver and brain. However, we here on earth have technological means to avoid contamination with the more lethal forms of germs, and so its reasonable to assume that an alien race which has gotten all the way here from where ever, also has that ability. There again , theres no reason to assume that just because virological resistance is based on expirience here on earth, that it couldnt be done differently elsewhere in the universe. Perhaps aliens have more efficient bacteriaproof organs or immunities . Perhaps nanobots cover thier every cell and defend them . Perhaps they themselves are massive complex viruses. WHO KNOWS... well the answer to that at least is , no one on earth.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
If the aliens are here they might be interested in how early civilizations might evolve over the years, a race visiting earth might do this if they lost information on how they evolved through the different stages of civilization, they could just be making notes and recording intelligent races in the galaxy / universe for possible threat assement or alliance in the future.

Maybe they want the planet and are watching or waiting until we destroy ourselves before moving in, easier than wasting resources cleansing a planet of its native populace.

[edit on 102828p://28b2 by VampireZio]

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Another thought is, if aliens wouldn't be affected by our germs or viruses because they are not native to the planet then why do "we" as a race need to take precautions against viruses from lets say Mars or the Moon? I think anything is capable of getting infected. It only takes that one person or alien to get sick for it to spread without the proper precautions.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I feel so small and unimportant! :-)

But you could be right.

But still, why all the government secrecy about them?

An uncontrollable shift in the global power structure?

The destruction of religious faith as we know it? Also affecting the global power structure?

Why all this research into bio-weapons then?

What insanity would it take for major powers to even consider using it?

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by FallenFromTheTree

Bio-weaponery I can see it being used as a alternative to wipe out a mass population without the after effects of radiation, if the population is dead then the government or people who used the bio weapon might have an immunity to it or cure and then swoop in burn the bodies of the dead and take over the area. Maybe...unless it is to combat aliens when the time comes along. If I was an Alien I would target cities and military via space and let the destruction fall down from the heavens. Why land on a planet when the fighting can be done from millions of miles above the ground?

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Interesting sidenote: A civilization able to reach us would be able to accelerate things into the % of c range at least.

Relativistic weapons anybody?

www.projectrho.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Well, our military strategists thought "shock and awe" would defuse an uprising
in Iraq too.

Eventually, they would need to come down to finish up, so to speak.

If we accept that we are otherwise powerless in comparative technology,
what one thing do we have, that we also may have had in the 50's
to convince them to stay away?

The subject gets even more interesting if we accept that they were here 4000-10,000
years ago, then left for some reason.

If they had an interplanetary code to not interfere, then why was their technology shared
to some degree with ancient civilizations?

[edit on 21-2-2009 by FallenFromTheTree]

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Depends on the objective.
If its a kill or be killed szenario the kill is frightengly easy to achieve if you mastered interstellar travel.
US didnt want to destroy Iraq, or else it would be a nuclear waste now. Thats the point actually. Relativistic weapons are not for shock and awe. They are to get the job done. Of course if you want to conquer a planet you cant really do that from orbit. But then why would you want to conquer a planet? If you manage to get from one solar system to another it cant be energy, because you obviously have some very ingenious solution to that problem already. And ressources other than life lie around basically everywhere. Slavery? thats pretty much it and imho highly unlikely that a civilisation can gap the distance between the stars and has a use for a bunch of stick wielding apes.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I think that the only way that we would find out if aliens would indeed be felled by such things as the common cold or influenza would be if they actually invaded and attacked earth with the idea of taking us over. Another way would be if they set up an embassy here on earth and lived here on earth for a number of days/weeks/months/years. A third possibility exists of how they could be defeated. This is an idea from the movie, 'Independence Day', in which we communicated by old morse code with other military units around the world and screwed up the aliens defensive force fields by uploading computer viruses into their systems, which caused it to crash.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   

What If......
They certainly have weaponry far exceeding anything we've thought up yet.

The bit about "weaponry far exceeding anything we've thought up yet" makes the whole question sort of moot.

What would be faster? Death by advanced weaponry or a flu bug?

I'd genuinely die happier knowing that the new overlords were going spend several days in bed watching daytime TV and feeling sorry for themselves

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
What do we have to offer them that they can't get elsewhere? Comedy of Errors?

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   

What If......

blah blah
blah

HG Wells played on our fears, our arrogance, and our insecurities. Nothing that happened in his poorly written story, or even more poorly dramatized film and it's even (if you can believe) more poorly written remake would be a likely scenario.

First off it would assume that the pathogens and other micro-biological systems developing here to interact with life here, would affect life that follows completely different biological rules (as we would assume since the life wouldn't have originated here)

Second off, please read the link in my signature, which should help to dispel many of the ridiculous ideas linked to your post -

IE aliens coming down in person to somehow, "do" something to us, and then somehow, "getting sick"

Do you think that an alien civilization that wants to destroy us will strip naked and jump into the bath with us? We would simply be destroyed. If they can get to us, they obviously understand how gravity works, and understand physics to a level where we can't even develop theories yet. Which of course leads us to the next part - why are they here? Why would they need or want to destroy us? Why are we evaluating them based on our own morals and "Codes" of existence?

If you can answer or try to answer these questions, then you can see that them coming here and getting "sick" is absurd

[edit on 21-2-2009 by Davood]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join