It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lockheed Martin defends JSF's close-in capabilities

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
And Kilcoo, stress/load/separation issues? Maybe a future (long term) possibility?

I dunno - I'd have thought it better (i.e. lighter) to have one component do both rather than having two.

There are now two stressed linkages, and separation (at this level) is mainly an issue of mounting orientation - so build the mount on the door appropriately.

I'm sure they have a reason, I just dunno what it is at the moment...

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by kilcoo316
I'm sure they have a reason, I just dunno what it is at the moment...

I suspect that it's an issue of weapons bay opening time. An argument we've seen tossed around on ATS is that when the weapons bay doors open the aircraft lights up on radar like a Christmas tree on fire. The counterargument I've seen for this is that they have made the weapons bay open for only a very short time. If you mount the missile as well as its support/release structures to the door, you get a lot more mass on the door itself. This means the thing has more inertia, takes more time to open/close, more time vulnerable to enemies, and so forth.

That's just my suspicion, though, so I wouldn't take it as fact.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

Originally posted by waynos
Also, from Cobzz quote, its to see a Lockheed man concurs with my assessment

Hey, even the much larger F-22 can only carry 4 AAM's with A2G munitions.

Nice article Cobzz, interesting to see the political aspect of it. And the fact that they're coming out now probably means the Raptor wont see much more production.

And Kilcoo, stress/load/separation issues? Maybe a future (long term) possibility?

Keep in mine, the link I posted was from late 2007.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join