It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill proposes ISPs, Wi-Fi keep logs for police

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Bill proposes ISPs, Wi-Fi keep logs for police

www.cnn.com

Republican politicians on Thursday called for a sweeping new federal law that would require all Internet providers and operators of millions of Wi-Fi access points, even hotels, local coffee shops, and home users, to keep records about users for two years to aid police investigations.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I'm usually not one to complain, but it seems like this sort of thing is getting out of control. Why do politicians think this sort of thing is OK? Why is 'protecting the innocent' always trump freedom? I guess the internet is just a series of tubes anyway... or is a dump truck... I don't remember.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Don't ISPs already log your ip and mac address when you're a customer and using it and is available upon subpoena in legal matters. Also instant messages and emails pulled from their servers have been used too. This is just another step to government control of the internet. I just want to know who is going to pay for the data storage. It isn't cheap. We are just losing out rights to privacy. But really do we have the right to privacy when we are using a public network like public WiFi hotspots or in hotels. This is a big ethical question. Do we have the right to internet privacy when we us it in a public place. I can see in the home and you are paying for it, but where it is free and for the public is another question.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
The poster above me is correct, I believe.
They already have access to that info. This is just a way for them to tell the American People - "HEY, we're watching you. You had better not speak ill of the Gov. on the internet."... In other words, of course.

Scare tactics.

Hey Gov. BITE ME!

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
im really sorry for the US if this happens. Man, keeping your records for 2 years means they will check them, they will read everything u say on the net.
That sucks pretty bad.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
It sounds to me like the financial woes are expected to hit the fiscal budgets
for all alphabet agencies ... this new bill reads as if this is their back up plan for eavesdropping documentation.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Homeowners to keep wifi logs? LOL, Most people don't even know how to password their wifi connection. This kind of crap might fly in England, but America isn't going to take it.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by bigvig316

You're right. This already does happen if there is an investigation being performed on you.

The problem I see in it is that the more laws that go into effect in relation to privacy, we undermines the constitution further. When did our government forget the parchment on which it was founded? The other issue I have with it, is as one poster mentioned, we don't have the funding for this type of surveillance project. Seems to me that the decisions being made in DC are based on greed, misunderstanding, and misinformation; decisions that effect all of us.

*sigh* What can I do... I'm just a single, lowly citizen.

top topics

join