It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama nixes plan to tax motorists on mileage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Obama nixes plan to tax motorists on mileage

news.yahoo.com

The system would require all cars and trucks be equipped with global satellite positioning technology, a transponder, a clock and other equipment to record how many miles a vehicle was driven, whether it was driven on highways or secondary roads, and even whether it was driven during peak traffic periods or off-peak hours.

The device would tally how much tax motorists owed depending upon their road use. Motorists would pay the amount owed when it was downloaded, probably at gas stations at first, but an alternative eventually would be needed.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.bostonherald.com
www.foxnews.com
www.salon.com
cbs4.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.wtopnews.com...
www.newsnet5.com...
news.aol.com...
www.freerepublic.com...

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Americans need to WAKE UP, some officials in the American government need to be told that they will not be RE-ELECTED if they keep on wanting to tax the INDIVIDUALS more and more.

TAX and TRACK your every movement, is what the American goverment wants to do, but Thanks to President Obama he has held the other government officials off on this BS. Everybody needs to support President Obama on "THIS ISSUE", and let the rest of the WORLD know that AMERICAN TAX PAYERS AREN'T GOING TO BE PUSHED AROUND.

Too many Interstated highways and other roads that don't need repaired are constantly being repaired; while other roads and highways that really need work go unworked.

Wake up Americans, don't let your Governors and Representatives and Congressmen push you around by TRACKING and TAXing your every movement.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Funny, I've always thought this, but in a different way.

Here in WI, our driver license works on a point system. If you aquire 12 points within any rolling 12 month period, you're revoked.

I commute 65 miles a day, and my wife does the same. For 6 years now, I've averaged 35000 each year, and that's only to and from work. A few trips here and there, and I can hit 48000 in a year, no sweat.

Here's the thing. If I put on that many miles, and accordingly pay tax on gas, shouldn't these points be adjusted upward? I mean, law f averages says I'm going to get more speeding tickets than someone who puts on like, 8000 miles/year, right?

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
This is the first thing I have agreed with the President on and I applaud him for putting it down. One, the government doesn't need to follow me everywhere I go. Second, They sure don't need to tax me for it. they do enough through the gas and tickets already. They say that they can't keep up with the road repair. If they would build them to last they wouldn't have to worry about it. But that is the thing, they only want roads to last like 5 years before they need replaced. They don't want to solve the problem.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Next they'll wanna tax how much you walk because you'll literally be leaving behind a carbon foot print...Crooks.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Oaktree

You definitely have the law of averages on your side for getting more speeding tickets Oaktree; but you surely don't want another quarter penny to half penny tacked on to every mile you drive, plus the expense of adding all that tracking stuff to your vehicles. Drive safe my friend.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by bigvig316

Those are my personal sentiments also bigvig316, President Obama did good by stopping it; but will he cave in later is the question.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 06:48 AM
link   
But that would never work anyway.
Who ever thought of it must have been drunk.
Because people just wouldn't drive to avoid paying taxes.
There would be a years wait to get something delivered.
The country would come to a stand still.
Why do these guys, get paid?

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Mor cash for the government? I thought the Stimulous package was already giving the states the cash for repairing roads and Bridges why would they need more cash? Let me guess so that way they can drive the already poor folks even into a bigger hole. For crying out loud I think its time to fire the US government and put some real folks in there. The government officials I dont believe could even run there own homes budget never the less the states budgets.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by bigvig316

I thought I read somewhere that they can make asphalt with bits of ground up tires instead of gravel, the pavement is more flexible and more resistant to crumbling from ice penetration. But the road repair unions didn't like that idea.
(I'll have to read up on that one)

Besides that, would it not make more sense to base the tax on how much gas one burns? Sheesh, just upping the gas tax would make more sense, if you drive a gas guzzler, you pay more, simple as that.
Why should a prius owner pay the same tax as a hummer owner?
It's not how far you drive, it the gas you burn to get there!

But of course, the gubberment needs an excuse to track your movements and habits.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I started a thread about this exact same thing with the exact same title in the same section yesterday.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
In fact they have been saying for many years now the best thing for roads is cement. It does get potholes in it like paved roads do. In fact back in the 1950s they built Cement roads and a Cement Air port runway in the mountains in China, Those roads and the runway are still usable right today with a min. few cracks in it. But the government is way to stupid to put it on our roads. In fact only a part of NC roads use it. Those roads using it dont need huge repairs.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by RussianScientists

Those are my personal sentiments also bigvig316, President Obama did good by stopping it; but will he cave in later is the question.

That's the real question, isn't it?

This is one of the few things he's done that I support, then again, he's not exactly Mr. Consistency. Give him a week and he may be right along with his transportation secretary in pushing this idea.

But again, for now at least, Obama is on the right side of this one.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Outrages..we need to get a serious petition going, ALL of us hee, and those we know, sign it, and email it to congress AND state legislator, letting em know UNACCEPTABLE. How much abuse can the public take, before it turns the other way.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Toadmund

Besides that, would it not make more sense to base the tax on how much gas one burns? Sheesh, just upping the gas tax would make more sense, if you drive a gas guzzler, you pay more, simple as that.
Why should a prius owner pay the same tax as a hummer owner?
It's not how far you drive, it the gas you burn to get there!

The government will argue that its how much you contribute to the wear and tear on the road system, not how much fuel you use. The gas tax, of course, is used to pay for those roads, so the more you use them, the more you're supposed to pay.

The entire issue has been caused by the high mileage hybrids being developed in recent years. Federal and state governments are seeing a decline in fuel tax revenues as a result and are looking for an alternative means of recouping that lost income.

Its still stupid, however. There's a much easier way to do it. Simply pass a tax on the sale of hybrids in the amount of $500-1,000 (actually, this could be accomplished by repealing some of the subsidies on these vehicles instead of a true tax). $500 would cover that 1/4 cent per mile surcharge for 200,000 miles, roughly the usuable life of the vehicle.

Simple, isn't it? But leave it to the government to find some idiotic high tech solution to the issue such as GPS tracking that, in all honesty, is a little creepy.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
To be taxed on your mileage is an outrage; and to be tracked by anyone out there that wants to track all of your comings and goings is rediculous, I don't care if you are driving a Hummer or a Prius, it is an obvious impairment of a persons rights to Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness.

People need to look at the government officials and vote out the officials that want such stupid Taxing and Tracking of people.

People have to eat, and in order to eat they have to have a job, and because they have jobs they will be forced to be watched. Those Tracking systems can tell how far you drove, and how FAST YOU DROVE at any point along your driving route; they will next be able to give out tickets for speeding at the gas station also, or it will be sent in the mail.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
You can say goodbye to rural America. All of us who live far from the city who have to drive into town to work would pay more tax. My husband drive an hour and half each way to get to work. The property value out here would plummet more.

You would also pay more for goods and services that are trucked in.

Not a good idea at all, and that is not even touching the privacy issues.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I think you may have hit on something here, isn't it part of the NWO mission, to get people moving to urban areas?
If you drive a lot everyday, there is a good chance you live out of town, yet don't pay taxes to the city they use and work in every work day.

When there are better alternatives, it makes you wonder.

top topics

join