It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It gets worse: Justice Department gives 'political prisoner' 3 hours to visit dying wife in hospic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   

It gets worse: Justice Department gives 'political prisoner' 3 hours to visit dying wife in hospice

rawstory.com

Despite the fact that his case has drawn national attention -- and a rebuke from the House Judiciary Committee as a possible example of political prosecution -- convicted Mississippi attorney Paul Minor will only get three hours to visit his dying wife.

The Justice Department has granted Minor just three hours today to visit his dying wife in hospice, accompanied by four armed guards. The Department says they consider Minor a "threat" to society, though he was not convicted of a violent crime.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.the-peoples-forum.com
www.harpers.org
www.talkleft.com

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   

While the Department is now under the Obama Administration, numerous posts remain in the hands of previous Administration hires.

Minor was convicted of mail services fraud in 2007 in connection with providing a loan guarantee to a state Supreme Court Justice his effort to secure loans to fund his campaign. He had requested three days furlough to visit his wife, Sylvia, who is dying of cancer.

In the months leading up to his trial, a series of leaks from anonymous sources -- which Harper's says could only have come from the prosecution team -- floated various innuendo and allegations of corruption, despite the fact that Minor never had a case before the judge in question.

Some may argue here that the guy was lucky to get 3 hours to visit his dying wife because he was convicted.

But when you look into the conviction and find out that:

Ultimately, the judge in Minor's case was Priscilla Owen, whose nomination to the bench had been encouraged by top ex-Bush advisor Karl Rove.

The mere mention of the name Rove just about sums it up for me. This was a political assassination, plain and simple, just like they fired all those lawyers digging into the Bush administration lies.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Well. People are always complaining that white collar crimes have it easier. So if this was a blue collar crime, say like armed burglary, do you think that person would have three hours or more?

In my mind, it is about time it is treated equally.

Though I feel bad for his wife.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a simple phrase comes to mind:

You do the crime, you do the time.

Tough luck.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
If this man is guilty of any type of fraud he should be kept in prison for his full term and only be let out after his term. No three hours should be granted.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Well. People are always complaining that white collar crimes have it easier. So if this was a blue collar crime, say like armed burglary, do you think that person would have three hours or more?

In my mind, it is about time it is treated equally.

Though I feel bad for his wife.

Well, they aren't equal crimes though, are they?

I mean, I sure as hell know I'd rather be the victim of internet fraud and merely lose money than a violent physical rape in a dark alley...

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I think the overriding fact here is that there may not have been a crime. As was written, the Justice Department is investigating the US Attorney who brought the case for possibly breaking the law while prosecuting Minor.

With so many questions about the validity of the case and with it being investigated by Congress and the Justice Department, letting him out to see his dying wife is the least they can do. What SHOULD happen is that they let him out on bond until the truth is found out about the process that put him there.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
We cannot have "standard punishments". A rich man , for instance , should be fined more for the same crime a poor man commits or it would not be a punishment to him . In this case I would prefer to show him some mercy to visit his wife . Being pedantic about this helps no one . Not the perp. , not the innocent wife , not society nor the perps victims. Stick 3 hours on the end of his sentence if it makes you happy .

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Last Man on Earth
Well, they aren't equal crimes though, are they?

I mean, I sure as hell know I'd rather be the victim of internet fraud and merely lose money than a violent physical rape in a dark alley...

Perhaps these the two examples you're comparing aren't equal, but white-collar crime can cover internet fraud over a $250 PayPal account as well as Bernie Madoff's billions. Yes, no one was physically hurt but lives can be ruined just the same.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by The Last Man on Earth

I am really just playing devil's advocate.lol

But sometimes, money theft is like raping someone, and can put people in severely harsh predictaments. For example, like stealing money from a senior on SS and they can't afford their medications.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Paul Minor should not get anything more than any other prisoner, not even 3 hours out. I suspect he has a hot , young chick that he has been seeing to explain why he would risk over 4 hours out of range of his ankle monitor when he was released earlier and when he was caught drunk at a hotel (seeing the girlfriend?) and had to be expelled. Yep, he's got a gal. He also has a hearing next month to see if he will be released and if he is successful he'll probably run to the girlfriend and she will probably end up getting him and then take him for all he is worth (which is megamillions). Mark my words it will happen!

new topics

top topics

join