It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you survive solely on prunes (and water) for a year?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Though Prunes are a healthy foodstuff, on their own, you would develop health problems.

There is no vitamin B12 in prunes and only a trace of fat.

As has been said, prunes are a laxative and any benefits you would get from them would be offset by the fact that prunes would make you eliminate a lot of nutrients. Added to this, because of some deficits in your diet, your body would start to 'live off of itself'.

Saying all that, by all means add prunes to your 'prepardeness cache' ...... just dont live solely off of them.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
All humans require fat in their diet to remain healthy and viable, and I just don't think prunes alone would cut it. Your bowels would be mush in a year's time, and you'd need laxatives or an enema just to take a dump.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
You might survive but agree with the other posts that suggest that malnutrition would be the result.

There's one thing for sure, leave the bathroom window open!

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

Prune will kill me, as they work as a powerful laxative when I eat them or drink the juice, I mean literally into the mouth and out in less than one hour.

I guess they are not very good for everybody.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
There was a similar idea awhile back about sprouts due to the ease of growing and all of the vitamins in them. Same problems apply.

No protein, no fat, and caloric intake. One prune has a whopping 20 calories. I dont know about you, but to keep up a functioning diet, that would mean something like 100 prunes a day.

Now, Ive never attempted to eat 100 prunes in a day but Im thinking the effects would severly hamper any real attempts at survival.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
At 100 prunes a day ...... I hope you like the decor or your toilet/bathroom walls ........ you would spend a lot of your time in there!

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Can you survive solely on prunes (and water) for a year?

I'm reminded of a certain month back around the college years that I ate nothing but top ramen and water for an entire month. Did I survive? Yes. Was I happy? No. The best way I could describe it would be to say that my body started shutting down and my brain got fuzzy. I pretty much hurt and ached and was angry all the time. I really don't recommend it.

As to prunes...sure, they probably have more vitamins than top ramen, but as others poitned out, there are other things your bosy needs that they lack. If I were to venture a wild guess, I'd guess you could probably live for several months on nothing but prunes and water...but after the first few weeks you might prefer the prunes kill you rather than keep you alive.

Why not try it for a few weeks and see how your body responds to it?

Report back and let us know how it turns out.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   

I'm reminded of a certain month back around the college years that I ate nothing but top ramen and water for an entire month. Did I survive? Yes. Was I happy? No. The best way I could describe it would be to say that my body started shutting down and my brain got fuzzy. I pretty much hurt and ached and was angry all the time. I really don't recommend it.

As to prunes...sure, they probably have more vitamins than top ramen, but as others poitned out, there are other things your bosy needs that they lack. If I were to venture a wild guess, I'd guess you could probably live for several months on nothing but prunes and water...but after the first few weeks you might prefer the prunes kill you rather than keep you alive.

Why not try it for a few weeks and see how your body responds to it?

Report back and let us know how it turns out.

I think i'd rather try the Top Ramen diet than prunes, what about other fruit any other fruit what about strawberries, kiwi's, raspberries, oranges, apples, pears, grapes any other fruit, how do they stack up against prunes. How does dirt stack up against prunes ?

Do we have any takes for the toilet seat i mean prune diet.

[edit on 20-2-2009 by jatsc]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Does anyone know if humans can eat grass not wheat grass normal on your lawn grass.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
What insects are safe to eat ? I thought John the Baptest also ate locests sorry wrong spelling.A grasshopper like bug.I used to hear them at night on my grandpas farm.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soloman Kane
What insects are safe to eat ? I thought John the Baptest also ate locests sorry wrong spelling.A grasshopper like bug.I used to hear them at night on my grandpas farm.
Just about all insects are edible. You just want to avoid the ones that eat dung, carrion, or have stinging organs.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Could you live on died cat/dog biscuits and water alone?

I've got a couple of 1Kg bags of the stuff, how long could that feasibly last?

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

I don't think I'd eat pet food unless I were truly desperate. I've read dog and cat foods actually have dog and cat flesh in them! It was a common practice in recent years for rendering plants to use dead pets obtained from animal shelters and roadkill in the food.

Supposedly they no longer do this, but it's not illegal for them to do so. Can you imagine any business passing up the opportunity to make huge profits by taking a few shortcuts?

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Stock up on some MRE's? those should last a few years in the packaging they come in.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jatsc

I had to look it up, but according to LiveScience.com while it's possible to eat grass, it will wear your teeth down and the human body isn't designed to digest it. So while I'm sure it would be great for fiber, you aren't really going to get anything nutritional out of it.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I don't think you could..eventually, your body is going too need protien, MEAT protien. Why do you think wild animals eat other animals? Survival, becaue blood and meat has life sustaining propertys. IF this were not the case, ALL animals more or less, would be herbavors. Just how nature desgined things. yeah, animals like elephants, giraffs and zebras eat only plants, their protien comes form thigns like peanuts. Humans unfortunalty, require meat also.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
At 100 prunes a day ...... I hope you like the decor or your toilet/bathroom walls ........ you would spend a lot of your time in there!

That had me rollin in tears and laughter lol. Excellent comeback

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Stock up on Dried Apricots. Just like prunes, maybe even better.

post more later...

[edit on 21-2-2009 by Red Shield]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Whilst I do not proclaim to be a doctor or nutritional expert I would like to think I know enough about nutrition and the human body to answer the question the OP is asking.

Maybe its possible for a human to survive a year on water and prunes alone but personally I don't think it is.

The human body needs protein for growth & repair, carbohydrates for energy and fat for energy/storage. In addition to these three basics, the human body also needs various amounts of vitamins & minerals to ensure good health.

Prunes, although they may be a "healthy" food, will not provide the adequate minerals, vitamins, protein and carbs that the human body requires.

Taking into account the laxative and diuretic effect Prunes have then I really doubt it would be safe to live off them alone with just water to supplement for longer than a fortnight.

As various people have mentioned rather than looking at one food source its better to look at a variety.

In all fairness its probably healthier eating some local flora/fauna coupled with a bird, squirrel, rabbit, fish and some pine needle tea.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I tend to agree that wheat would be the best staple to live off of. Not only can you make tons of different types of foods from it. You can also add whatever foods you find around to it and make even MORE types of food. Herbs + Flour + water + heat = meal.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join