It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you survive solely on prunes (and water) for a year?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
They wouldn't need cold storage, they're one of the most nutrient-dense foods available, high in antioxidants, and they help keep you free of toxins (bowel movements, liver cleansing). Assuming a food emergency hits, is there any better food to stock up on?

Yeah, I know prune talk is funny, but I'm being serious here. Keep it clean please.

Peace

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Depends on what you mean by survive. If you strictly mean could you stay alive on water and prunes for a year, then yeah probably. If you mean could you stay alive and be healthy enough to do anything, probably not. If prunes are the only food you are eating for an entire year your body will suffer. It takes more than fiber and vitamin A to be healthy and your strength would suffer since you wouldn't be getting any protein which your body needs. Not to mention all the other nutrients you need to stay healthy.

So yeah you could probably stay alive for a year, assuming you didn't dehydrate from the prunes laxative quality of course, but you probably wouldn't be capable of doing much at the end of it.

Edit: Spelling...

[edit on 20-2-2009 by Jenna]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Take the prunes and water, and add in a healthy dose of whatever game you can trap/hunt, add in whatever local edible flora/fauna that you can get your hands on, and you've got a game plan.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
you could survive , (by the way , rice is storable)

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by mpriebe81

I hear you on the protein, but the edible flora will only increase the already present dehydration effects of the prunes as Jenna mentioned. That may actually present more of a survival danger IMO.

Peace

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
The question should be, would you want to..?

I don't think you would mentally manage. I used to live on baked beans and potatoes from month to month. Sooner or later you have to do a month of spaghetti to break the monotony.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

Yeah, depends on the local flora though. Where i'm at, we have the cacti which you can definitely utilize for water.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
They wouldn't need cold storage, they're one of the most nutrient-dense foods available, high in antioxidants, and they help keep you free of toxins (bowel movements, liver cleansing). Assuming a food emergency hits, is there any better food to stock up on?

Yeah, I know prune talk is funny, but I'm being serious here. Keep it clean please.

Peace

I cant remember where I heard it, but I believe it was on this forum. Someone claimed that you could live indefinitely off Bananas alone. The conspiracy was that it seems that bananas grow in a large variety of areas of the globe. The thread wondered why such a valuable fruit would grow all over the planet... as if someone had planned it..

Anyways, just my two cents, I dont know anything about prunes

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by king9072

They're delicious!
If you're 90 that is

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

As you yourself said they clean you out. They are not picky about what goes out either so the bad and the good leave as well. So prunes as a survival food In my opinion is not a very good idea. I think you will die of malnutrition.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Wouldn't vitamin defiticiancies leave you open to all kind of illnesses, I'm not up to scratch on what viatmins and minerals that prunes hold.... care to enlighten me and we can maybe come up with some nasty illnesses from wiki?

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
If you have water, prunes and dried apricots are good choices, also add raisins if you can grapes have things in them too and some whey powder for protein, better than frying up some worms.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by mystiq

You've got a great point there! Although I am not a nutritionist, you may just end up pooping all of those vital nutrients away. Maybe they would be better kept as a suppliment to your diet. A snack, if you will. I'm a fan of the "berries, bugs, and lots of meat" diet. mmmm, meats.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by mystiq

To be honest after a few weeks of the same things a plate of fried worms might look quite appealing.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
To be honest when I stopped eating meat, I had terriable itching on my legs and arms before I started taking supplementary B vitamins. So I'd hate to see anyone on just fruit.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Bananas would not work either. If that is all you ate, your potassium would go to high and cause heart problems.

I do not think there is any ONE food you can really survive on.

If I had a choice, I would take wheat though. can make flour from it and go from there.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by amatrine

I'd stock up on the multi vitamins and take it from there.
My only problem would be finding some medium with some substance to fill up the rest up my stomach.
Could be bark or even mudd
as long as i keep the multi vits up i for sure survive a year.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by mpriebe81

No, I'm always far healthier when I take my vitamins. And apricots are one of the very best fruits in the world for your health as they're loaded with not only essential vitamins, but also minerals. And they keep you pretty regular because they have lots of fiber. I grew up in an orchard and was told lots of interesting facts about them. You would fairly healthy with lots of dried apricots, prunes, raisins and whey powder. I'd still be looking for some greens as well. Dadelions and the thistles are good for this, from what I've read. But if you have seeds, and some to spare, then sprouting them might be extra good.
Also pig weed for spinach.

Edit to add: an another necessity in my books would be to stock up on wheat germ and rolled oats and eat it by the spoonful even by itself if necessary.
[edit on 20-2-2009 by mystiq]

[edit on 20-2-2009 by mystiq]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

No, I don't think you could live on prunes, and water for a year. You might get a few weeks out IF you were fairly tough, and in good heath to begin with. Reasons being:
#1 prunes are dried plums, and your body will have to basically rehydrate them in order to properly digest them. We get a lot of our hydration from foods we eat. Prunes need extra water instead of supplying extra water. Better have LOTS of extra water.
#2 Prunes are a natural cathartic(makes you poop). Eat half a bag of them tomorrow, and see how it effects your backside. Now imagine eating nothing but prunes. As your pooper goes into hyperdrive remember you are losing valuable, life sustaining electrolytes every time you blow. Some of those "lytes" are not being replaced by the prunes, plus the hypermotility you have now set up in your bowels doesn't let them stay in long enough to get all their nutritive value anyway.
#3 As discussed earlier on this thread prunes aren't a good source of protien, and PEM(protien energy malnutrition) would set in after the first couple of weeks, and your body would begin to digest it's own lean tissue(muscles, including the heart, liver, kidneys, brain etc... you get the idea)to support metabolism.
#4 The psycological impact of eating the same food source without any variety would most likely have you pitching perfectly edible prunes at passers by before any of the physiological symptoms started.

Bananas would be a little better option, but not by much. Yes they are incredibly good for you. As long as your kidney function was ok, and you were making urine, and not dehydrated, you wouldn't have to worry about a build up of potassium. Potassium is a water soluable nutrient, and your kidneys maintain the balance perfectly as long as they are working. You can't ingest enough potassium to harm you from food sources as long as your kidneys are functioning properly. The drawback to bananas would be the same as prunes, minus the cathartic effect of prunes. Amatrine is correct that there is NO one food that you can solely survive on for an extended period of time. We are omnivores, and must eat that way. It's a matter of genetic programming.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Ambrosia - Food of the Greek Gods

Ambrosia was the food of the gods and goddesses in Greek mythology. It was often accompanied by the drink nectar in celebrations, and indeed, ambrosia and nectar both appear in myth and literature as divine confections that were guaranteed to satisfy the hunger and/or thirst of any immortal resident of Mt. Olympus. Ambrosia - Food of the Greek Gods.

www.logia.com...

but, down in the Dutch west Indies, i've heard that the christmas/new years dish Ambrosia is a combination of shredded coconut, raisins & orange or other fruit wedges, with a sprinkle of (unprocessed) honey

Its considered 'good luck/fortune' to start your year out with the food-of-
the-gods

of course one can go 'Prophet'... like John the Baptist who only ate wild honey & figs for years in the desert... with nary a prune in sight

[edit on 20-2-2009 by St Udio]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join