It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PBSO Plans To Draw Blood At DUI Checkpoints

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   

PBSO Plans To Draw Blood At DUI Checkpoints

www.wpbf.com

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. -- Drunken drivers beware: If you drink and drive, especially during the last weekend of February, the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office and other area law enforcement will be out for blood.

PBSO deputies plan to set up driving under the influence checkpoints. If they suspect a driver is under the influence, they'll offer an on-the-spot Breathalyzer. If drivers refuse, deputies will ask to draw blood from their arms.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
LOL

What's next, body cavity searches of "suspected paraphinelia" smugglers?

Thank goodness this is not >yet< a mandatory procedure, and these guys have to get a warrant from a judge before doing it.

But IF a judge okays this, how long before it becomes a MANDATORY procedure?

I can just see the potential for this to go awry---In the past, DIABETICS having insulin related probs have been mistaken for being intoxicated...That's all they need is to be held down and subjected to invasive extraction of their plasma. heh

www.wpbf.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 20-2-2009 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
What you dont hear is that you can refuse the taking of your blood. I know I would ask for a warrant for my blood.

Police be damned you cant take my blood without getting a warrant or shooting me!

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I really shouldn't be saying this, but in the state where I live you can refuse the breathalyzer and blood analysis you'll go to jail for sure and lose your license for 6 months but by the time all the legalities go through the alcohol is out of your system, so it turns into a he said she said situation.

Most of the time if you hold true to you rights you'll win. I don't suggest doing it though because drinking and driving is wrong and putting unnecessary lives in danger.

So don't drink and drive!

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
if you havent been drinking, take the breathyliser

if you have been drinking and driving you are selfish and stupid

if you havent done anything wrong you have nothing to fear....

jesus what is the problem?

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by rufusthestuntbum

Spoken from the same guy who doesn't understand americans not wanting to give up their firearms. You sound like Big Brother's wet dream come true. Just lay down and submit peon!

And the ever-tired "If you haven't done anything wrong, you have nothing to fear" line...The same line that has enabled flocks of sheeples to be stripped of their constitutional rights and civil liberties, step by step, time after time.

Unreal.

[edit on 20-2-2009 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Let someone come at me with a needle and watch the news, cause there would be quite a story to come out of it....

Not a Friggin chance

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
They did this in Austin, Texas superbowl night until 6am. Total bs. They had a judge on standbye all night to issue the warrants too. Where do we live? Seriously

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

*SNIP* THE POINT IS DONT DRINK AND DRIVE

TAKE A BREATHALYSER AND THEY WONT PUT A NEEDLE NEAR YOU!

WHY WONT YOU TAKE A BREATHALYSER IF YOU HAVENT BEEN DRINKING IT WOULD BE STUPID! YOU ARE NEEDLESSLY INCRIMINATING YOURSELF

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 21-2-2009 by Skyfloating]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I don't know about FL, but in PA they have what is called "implied consent" (to breath, blood, or urine testing) when you are issued your PA DL. If you refuse, automatic 1year suspension, 72 hours in jail, and you may still be charged with DUI of the highest intoxication amount.
On the other hand, I have heard that if you are a Jehovah's Witness, you have religious grounds to refuse this type of testing. I don't know any, so I cannot confirm this. Interesting though.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by rufusthestuntbum
if you havent been drinking, take the breathyliser

if you have been drinking and driving you are selfish and stupid

if you havent done anything wrong you have nothing to fear....

jesus what is the problem?

The police should have no right to draw blood from people not without a court order from a judge. That is way over the line.

"if you havent done anything wrong you have nothing to fear" is the excuse given for every right that is taken away from us. We make it so easy for them. Taking blood without consent is an invasion of privacy

By your logic the government should be allowed to put a CCTV camera and a mic in every room of your house to make sure you aren't doing anything "wrong" while you are home. The goverment should be able to implant a tracking device in your body so they can track your every move.
If you are not doing anything wrong what's the problem right?

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Wow its amazing how the cities are crying for money because they have none but yet they have the money to put police checkpoints all over the place. Do we live in Iraq or America will someone please answer this for me. I mean god checkpoints to see if your drinking? I think we have to many police on the road. Its time to cut back.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I think most states do something like this. Currently (as far as I know) the cops must ask for consent or have a court order. This still doesnt make it right however. Then they will fine/harrass you in some other way because you didnt submit to their authority.

One loophole I can think of. If you refuse the breath test on legal grounds, then object to the blood test on religious grounds ( i think JW has a stand against the removal of blood) you may stand a remote chance.

But what difference does it make. Eventually there will be little blow tubes in our cars to test us every 15 minutes to keep us all safe. Gotta be safe you know.

Time to buy a horse.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by rufusthestuntbum

F*** ME! THE POINT IS DONT DRINK AND DRIVE

TAKE A BREATHALYSER AND THEY WONT PUT A NEEDLE NEAR YOU!

WHY WONT YOU TAKE A BREATHALYSER IF YOU HAVENT BEEN DRINKING IT WOULD BE STUPID! YOU ARE NEEDLESSLY INCRIMINATING YOURSELF

Take the breathalyser or it is assumed guilt and you pay the price. That should be the end of it. They have no right to take blood. Stop allowing your rights to be taken away.

I agree it is stupid not to take the breathalyser test. I also agree it is wrong to drink and drive and I do not.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   

did you even read the whole story? No where in it does it say a blood sample is mandatory!

if you refuse a on-the-spot Breathalyze then the deputies can ask you for a blood sample you can refuse that.

from your source

"I think that's really personal and I think that if you deny a Breathalyzer and you say that you don't want that, I think that's outrageous if they take blood without your consent," driver Courtney Liddle said.

Attorney David Olson said that "would only be lawful if a warrant is issued by a judge."

That's just what deputies plan to do. They'll actually drive to a judge's home for a signature and return to the checkpoint.

so lets recap, they think you are under the influence, they ask you to take a Breathalyzer you refuse, they can then ask you for a blood sample you can still refuse, and if you refuse then a deputy will drive to a judges house and ask him to sign a warrent to draw blood from your arm. your still getting due process! and there is a 50/50 chance the judge will not sign the warrent. and a lawyer in FL in your source article says and i quote

Olson said drawing blood from drivers is usually done in extreme cases like homicides and fatal collisions. Olson said he's not sure a judge would actually sign a warrant.

so once again where does it say this will be mandatory? and where exactly is the consiracy in this article?

Bottom line is if you have been drinking you have NO BUSINESS DRIVING A CAR!!! I guess you'd rather drunk drivers were on the roads? and would you be willing to take the chance that a drunk driver killed some one you loved?

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

If theres an option to take a breathalyser, take the breathalyser, then they wont have to take a blood sample.

And why would you refuse a breathalyser unless you had been drinking.

And as for "my logic", I have been reading into this stuff for years. My login might only be a week old but i was reading ATS 5 or so years ago back in the day of the john titor rumours. I once wrote for and played bass in a political punk music bashing tptb. until recently I never felt the need to get a login because i felt the way you feel now (what i felt was already written), but that was back when i lived in a small town and smoked a lot of weed which made me ignorant and paranoid. i now live in one of the biggest cities in the uk and when you go to the ethnic (islamic) areas and get looked at like s*** because you are white, when there are soapboxes out in the street where islam is preached, when you see messed up people who would stab you for a fiver, you realise we dont live in a decent society, and the government DOES need more power these days, to protect us from OURSELVES.

[edit on 20-2-2009 by rufusthestuntbum]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
for those arguing about it being mandatory...it is in AUSTIN

austin-texasdwi.blogspot.com...

We will have a phlebotomist on duty at our BAT [Breath Alcohol Testing] testing bus, who we're paying $17 an hour to draw your blood," Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo said.

A judge will be on call this weekend, and if he or she finds probable cause, he or she will sign a search warrant allowing a trained professional to draw blood.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by tjeffersonsghost

That is the cost of doing business. Police set up checkpoints in order to catch drunk drivers, which means they get money from the state to house those people in jail.

They also then get money from restitution and fines payed by the offender. Then there is also the chance of finding drugs which in that case they get to confiscate the car and money and then they get to keep it all.

It's legalized shakedowns is what it is. Don't get me wrong that drinking and driving is wrong and shouldn't be done, but economic times are so ruff that they are pulling out the book so they can shakedown anybody they can.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by rufusthestuntbum

Its the government that got your country into the problems you are seeing over there now and you want to give them more power? Don't you realize that everything goverment tries to run turns to crap?

I agree with you about the breathalyzer test. Take it or you are automatically guilty. You will get no arguement from me about that.
I just don't see the need to subject people to drawing blood without consent. It serves no purpose at that point. You refused the breathalyzer so your guilty.

[edit on 2/20/2009 by Erasurehead]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   

I don't know but do they will be doing the blood drawn with a certified nurse in side?

Because this will be unsanitary and dangerous to the life of the person that will be submitted to the blood test.

Still if the person refuse, will the police hold them at gun point and force them to have their blood taken?

I think this is going to turn very ugly very fast.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join