It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama victory bash owes city $1.74 mil.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Obama victory bash owes city $1.74 mil.

www.suntimes.com

BY FRAN SPIELMAN City Hall Reporter/[email protected]

Chicago has yet to recoup the $1.74 million cost of President Obama's victory celebration in Grant Park -- despite a burgeoning $50.5 million budget shortfall that threatens more layoffs and union concessions.

"The Democratic National Committee has not yet paid us,'' Peter Scales, a spokesman for the city's Office of Budget and Management, said Thursday after questions from the Chicago Sun-Times. "We're reaching out to them this week.
Stacie Paxton, a spokeswoman for the Obama-controlled DNC, explained the reimbursement delay by saying, "We are still looking at various costs and bills.'' She would not say whether parts of the bill are disputed.

The city spent $1 million on police protection for the rally. The Office of Emergency Management and Communications racked up more than $120,000 in expenses, including $19,500 paid to police official Neil Sullivan to quarterback election night logistics.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Submit General News

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
So, what do you think...is the DNC going to stiff Chicago for the tab???

Can you believe it...#1.74 million for a victory celebration??

I had no idea that these things cost so much.

I guess that the city and the DNC are going over an itemized bill..if you want to believe that one.

In a era of cutting back...well, ok...it was his victory night.

I guess that they can do what they want..I'm just shocked by the cost is all.

Speaking of cutting costs...did anyone follow up on the report that Mr. Obama and his wife took AF1 to Chicago for a private, romantic dinner at their favorite restaurant on Feb 14th.??

That was not done on the cheap. The elite do what they want...when they want...and the rest of us be damned.

www.suntimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I'll bet the city is going to have to use stimulus funds to pay the bill........

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
HA! this is great!! Come on Chicago, time to be patriotic, time to get with the program, just take it in the BoBo for Obama. He is your messiah after all.

-E-

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
$1.8 million is practically nothing.

No big deal.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Since Obama won, maybe he should pay it out of his own salary! Why stick it to the people - those who didnt even get to attend?

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Another example of this would be DC; The DC government always get stuck with the bill when Congress or the Federal government has something. Anytime there is a parade or anything there they cant do nothing about it but there expected to clean the mess up when its over and they cant get property taxes on all the federal property in DC even though its a good portion of DC

top topics

join