It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National Guard conducting Urban Training in Iowa - for Gun Dealer

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

I'm not spinning anything. Merely going by what is in the article.

And if you were living in this town and didn't want to participate, I guarantee you they wouldn't force you which seems to be what everyone is worried about. For every person here freaking out over this, I can guarantee that there is at least one person living there who will volunteer to participate.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna
True, except the real world isn't abandoned.

The real world isn't going to volunteer either.

Originally posted by Jenna
...But as was stated in the article, they are hoping to give the public a better insight into how they do their jobs....

Really... each of your responses seems to hold less water than the one before. Why does public need to know how the military does their jobs. Some would say, it's a matter of national security to keep military training, tactics, and methodology confined to the military.

I'm with questioningall on this one. Conditioning of the public to the presence of military personnel and operations seems to be the only objective that fits here.

As a resident in a military town, living within eye sight of an army base, a stones throw from two air force bases, and walking my dogs 10 minutes from the entrance to NORAD, I'm accustomed to seeing military people doing military things. All the locals are. Bring in some out of towners though, and they're a little taken aback by half a battalion shopping at the local market.

Like I said, there's NO reason the public at large should be involved in ANY military exercise, PERIOD. It's not safe, and it's not logical. However, they're not doing it for the helluvit either. There is a purpose behind integrating the public at large with a large scale military exercise. Several of us have a theory as to what that purpose is. I think that those of us that do have this particular theory, are likely the reason for exercises such as this one. We, are part of the "People" referenced in my signature.

[edit on 2/20/2009 by Unit541]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unit541
Really... each of your responses seems to hold less water than the one before. Why does public need to know how the military does their jobs. Some would say, it's a matter of national security to keep military training, tactics, and methodology confined to the military.

Really? Cause I'm just going by what is in the article. Perhaps you think so because you are looking for nefarious purposes and I'm not given to freaking out if someone in the military bats an eye. And you would have a good point about national security, except that everything is already on the web for starters and any time the military doesn't fully disclose everything down to what they are serving troops for lunch people pitch a fit about how they are hiding something. Kinda like now, only they are disclosing everything.

I'm with questioningall on this one. Conditioning of the public to the presence of military personnel and operations seems to be the only objective that fits here.

Good for you. I just don't understand how anyone can function being in constant fear that the military is going to put them in shackles and eat their children.

As a resident in a military town, living within eye sight of an army base, a stones throw from two air force bases, and walking my dogs 10 minutes from the entrance to NORAD, I'm accustomed to seeing military people doing military things. All the locals are. Bring in some out of towners though, and they're a little taken aback by half a battalion shopping at the local market.

Which is understandable, which is why they are having a public meeting to discuss this before it happens.

Like I said, there's NO reason the public at large should be involved in ANY military exercise, PERIOD. It's not safe, and it's not logical. However, they're not doing it for the helluvit either. There is a purpose behind integrating the public at large with a large scale military exercise. Several of us have a theory as to what that purpose is. I think that those of us that do have this particular theory, are likely the reason for exercises such as this one.

Knocking on doors and asking people who have already volunteered to participate if they can search for the make-believe arms-dealer isn't safe? I've posed this question more than once to more than one person, which do you prefer: let them train here where conditions can be controlled? Or make them wait until they are in a hostile area and let them figure it out as they go? Which do you think will better prepare them to be able to do their job correctly and safely with the least number of people getting hurt?

The purpose is to train these soldiers. Having a theory doesn't make you right, nor does it make this exercise into something horrible.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I love how the guy interviewed spins it. "The homeowner is in control, we just go by their body language." Yeah flippin' RIGHT. I'd like to see them try this in the Dirty D (Detroit). That would be a laugh RIOT.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I don't understand why there is a need to do this kind of training in civilian homes. It doesn't make sense. Warning bells should be going off at this...I guess this is the "change" we could believe in. I get a little more scared everyday...
I hope no one volunteers.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

The military is getting plenty of practice in Iraq.
This SHOULD be a matter for police forces, not for soldiers.
As previously stated, this is not the purpose of the military.
It makes one really wonder, what the hell are they doing here?
A weapons dealer? Last I checked, licensed weapon dealers are ALLOWED to operate in this country because we are allowed to purchase arms.
It's just very odd. If you don't think so, well i applaud your ability to not be skeptical of anything that sounds a tad strange.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Hey, this kinda sucks! I started this thread already and no one replied!

Maybe Ill skip ATS and stick with my local forums.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Popularity contest???

I already reported this in breaking news!

But since I dont have 3,000,000 ATS & BTS points, it must not be as important. Thanks ATS!

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by mpriebe81

If you are looking for definitive answer as to exactly why they are doing this I'm afraid you are asking the wrong person. As I've said twice now I don't schedule or propose training or training sites.

Do you really want Iraq to be the only place our soldiers train? Really? That would be one heck of a great way to bring them all home in body bags, I'll give you that.

I am skeptical when something seems amiss, but an article announcing that they are going to hold a town meeting for people there so they know exactly what the military is doing and why they are doing it is not really anything to be worried about in my opinion. People here seem to think the only things the military is capable of is blowing stuff up, shooting people, and putting people in chains when that simply is not the case. That is really only a small part of what they train to do. And frankly when the next disaster happens and our military isn't prepared because they haven't been able to train properly since everyone freaks out when they try, I hope every single person here remembers how much they freaked out over training exercises. Don't complain that the military doesn't help if you don't let them train.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by treemanx

Sorry, it seems like there are about 20 threads on this now. I looked in a few thread forums, but did not see it. I just saw another 2 threads on the same subject.

Yours was posted last night, so the mods - should shut down this one, I will let them know.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Thank You Questioningall

Thread Closed, please join the discussion on thread posted earlier on the same topic found here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join