It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life secret exposed: Scientists unlock mystery of molecular machine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
www.bio-medicine.org...

Montreal, February 19, 2009 A major mystery about the origins of life has been resolved. According to a study published in the journal Nature, two Universit de Montral scientists have proposed a new theory for how a universal molecular machine, the ribosome, managed to self-assemble as a critical step in the genesis of all life on Earth.

"While the ribosome is a complex structure it features a clear hierarchy that emerged based on basic chemical principles," says Sergey Steinberg, a Universit de Montral biochemistry professor who made his discovery with student Konstantin Bokov. "In the absence of such explanations, some people could imagine unseen forces at work when such complex structures emerge in nature."

What is a ribosome?

The ribosome is an enormous molecule responsible for translating the messages carried in the genetic code of all organisms into the workhorse molecules of the cell proteins that carry out all functions, including replicating the genome itself. As the world celebrates the bicentennial anniversary of the Father of Evolution, Charles Darwin, Prof. Steinberg's theory brings the scientific community even deeper into the study of the origins of life.

By examining the molecular self-organizing processes that preceded the living cell, the point where time begins for biologists, Prof. Steinberg goes further than Darwin and the many evolutionary biologists who followed could have imagined

One step closer to Darwin evolutionists dream of creating life?
We'll see...

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by imd12c4funn

One step closer to Darwin evolutionists dream of creating life?
We'll see...

As new discoveries are made, as we know more and more, step by step the dark age that "Creationism & Intelligent Design" represents will be driven in the footnote of history, once and for all.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
i got a good kick out of that article. darwin never proposed a theory of how life started, he just thought that all the animals evolved from simpler forms.

so basically, this is like saying, we have found a way that tables may have been able to assemble themselves. then they completely ignore the fact that tables do not reproduce/get better/self replicate over time, but on the contrary break down. if evolution were true, entropy would not be possible, and clearly it happens, therefore, evolution is impossible.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

Hrm... I don't think this is a evolution/creation/god type thread...

You should perhaps leave the arguments out, and instead comment on the findings in the article...

Scientific advancement is something we can all appreciate...

OP. Great article... S&F...

I just wish they went into more specific detail... I'll have to do some internet searching on my own I guess

[edit on 21-2-2009 by nj2day]

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
... if evolution were true, entropy would not be possible, and clearly it happens, therefore, evolution is impossible.

What a flaw logic...

Evolution is a FACT.

As your signature suggest, keep reading more and more fairy tales... I have a good one to suggest to you, it is called: "Creationism and Intelligent Design"

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
darwin never proposed a theory of how life started,

The article never once suggested that he did? This article is about Abiogenesis, not evolution...

he just thought that all the animals evolved from simpler forms.

Thats a bit of an oversimplification... Darwin's theory is about selection pressures causing genetic mutations to be beneficial to the survival of the species, and the eventual speciation of these populations resulting from different selection pressures...

so basically, this is like saying, we have found a way that tables may have been able to assemble themselves.

erm no... Reductio ad absurdum^10 on that one...

then they completely ignore the fact that tables do not reproduce/get better/self replicate over time, but on the contrary break down. if evolution were true, entropy would not be possible, and clearly it happens, therefore, evolution is impossible.

Why would entropy be impossible? I don't think you understand entropic principals...

[edit on 21-2-2009 by nj2day]

top topics

join