It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should I get a Mac or PC?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   
So I need a new desktop for my house. My computer is just too old and too slow. I haven't bought a computer in years and don't know what to get. At work I have two computers one is a Mac or other a PC. I find that I am a little bias against Macs. I just find that trying to do any real work on them, like spread sheers, charts, and power point its just a little quirky. But at home I don't need to do any of that stuff. Mostly just listening to music, surfing the web, downloading pictures and stuff. So I am thinking maybe a Mac will better suit my "fun" needs.

I'm not sure what to buy, anybody got any suggestions. I was looking into the iMac, or a PC from Dell or Sony.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
go for a mac - no viruses and can open loads of programs at once with no slow down - i got a 2nd hand mac book pro earlier this year and its the best thing ever!!

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I made the switch in 2003 to a MAC. Got tired of the constant calling to DELL to get help. Bought the MAC G5 desktop in 2003, still going strong. I do recommend the 3-year Apple Care warranty. I had a problem with my memory chip about 2 years in. Bought to a Apple store they replaced both chips just to be sfae, it cost me zero dollars. Added two Mac Minis to the house in 2006 and a Mac Pro laptop in 2007. All work great.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Even if money was no object I would choose PC for versatility in software applications, less costly software, over all less cost, easier to repair and upgrade yourself, and easier to find a repair person in a pinch. There is nothing a Mac can do that any of my PC's cannot do. XP Pro with the latest service pack is very stable....I would take XP Pro over Vista, unless you want to play Halo 3 and a few other popular games, then you will need Vista. Windows Vista can be configured to look and feel a bit like XP Pro....if you don't mind taking the time setting it all up and turning off all kinds of pop up security windows and applications.

Go for that fastest quad core, the most Ram(2 to 4 gigs), the best graphics card you can get(1024 mb or better). Acer makes some good middle of the road machines with loads of USB Ports, blue tooth, wireless Internet, Super multi drive dual layer DVD / CD burner.

I have 6 Acers and never a problem that I could not fix. If you are in a rural area with no Mac repair shop close by, get a PC. Buy yourself a few portable lap top sized hard drives for backing up files(they work off a USB Port) and are easy to store away. You will still have saved enough money to pay your mortgage if you don't buy the Mac. Even guys running CAD programs and professional effects software on PC's out number the Mac users. Mac vs. PC in multimedia reached a 50/50 point around 1999....prior to that Mac dominated that field....not anymore.

Macs can also get viruses. Just my opinion. Flame away Mac lovers.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
go for a mac - no viruses and can open loads of programs at once with no slow down - i got a 2nd hand mac book pro earlier this year and its the best thing ever!!

We keep crossing paths.......we will have to get together for a brew some day ole fella!!

Oh, to keep this on topic....get a PC....LOL

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
For versatility, a PC is better, but for what you want any computer will do.

You can probably buy a PC cheaper if you can find some with Linux installed, preferably Ubuntu. Most people consider it the closest to the Windows way of working with which you are already familiar.

new topics

top topics

join