It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's The Deal With Emergency Broadcasts?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   
This has been pissing me off for a couple of weeks, but it didn't really make me think until it happened while i was on ATS and watching TV... I've been seeing A LOT of tests for the emergency broadcast systems lately- I'm seeing them 5 or 6 times a day sometimes, and in the middle of the night.

has anyone else noticed this?

Could it be that "they" are trying to get us ready for something big that's being planned?

Maybe I'm reading into this a bit much, but I think it's a possibility- let me know what you think.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I don't notice them being any more frequent than usual. They did increase the number after 9/11, I know.

Could it be you are watching different channels, and those channels do it an differnt times, and you're getting UNlucky???

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I've noticed but didn't pay attention until your post. I've seen them during lunch and late at night

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I don't watch that many channels- back and forth on the news channels during the day, then either ABC, NBC, or CBS for prime time- then the x-files on TNT at midnight and one, and then the x-files on Sci-Fi at 2 am.

next time i see it, i'm gonna flip through and see if it's on all the channels at once, or just individual channels- but i don't think i'm channel surfing, and just unlucky, lol.

[Edited on 15-4-2004 by Bobbo]

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   
here in NW Ohio, they're becoming more frequent as Tornado season approaches. There was an article in the paper about it.

This is the case at least for the "siren" warnings that are used... as far as the TV "warnings" I dunno, just want to make sure it works I guess.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Isn't it reffered to as The EAS (Emergency Alert System) now?

Test's are required by law and is a condition of the license, it is at the stations discretion when they perform these tests.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Could it be you are watching different channels, and those channels do it an differnt times,

I thought the whole point of the EBS was to knock out all the channels at once? I mean, not much use in having an emergency broadcast at 1pm only to have someone watching UPN to get it at 4pm.

Do we have an EBS system in England? Or is it just expected for everyone to tune into the Beeb?

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Do we have an EBS system in England? Or is it just expected for everyone to tune into the Beeb?

The BBC is responsible for the breaking of major news stories and it has a series of fortified bunkers complete with studio's in the event of something terrible happening.
They USED to have the authority to knock other channels off the air and dominate coverage, not so sure about that now.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 09:43 PM
link   
it was on all the channels simultaneously here about an hour ago.

and it is Emergency Alert System now... so I stand corrected.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Here in SW Ohio I too have noticed a large number of EBS messages, on all channels several times a week. May be the tornado season but it never was like this in past years.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I wonder if Australia has one i have never heard of it till now and it sounds like a good idaer to me with all the troubles we are having in the world.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 02:17 AM
link   
They definitely occur across all channels when they are broadcasted. This is always done. Everytime they come on, it specifies it as a weekly test, but oddly enough they are pretty much run every single day...

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Theoretically, you shouldn't be seeing that many. Maybe someone in TV/cable broadcasting can clarify, but I know for radio we had a single test scheduled every week. It was supposed to be random, but scheduled...like the Program Director would slate it....sometimes goof and do it twice....or do it back to back, like Friday and Monday just to get it in.

But I've also noticed an increase despite the requirements. I suppose after all they are just minimum requirements. Perhaps that little annoyance has now become some sort of public relations reminder in this era of terror.

Fear is so engrained in the subconcious now, and the fact that the "revolution will be televised" is always on our minds...its become such that nobody wants to miss it. So the TV's stay on 24/7 now waiting for the axe to fall live...but whenever it get's boring, nothing bad is happening, and just when you least expect it.... a friendly reminder from the TV Fear God.

Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I was thinking same thing, control by fear, they must think we need a little more controling cause they're sure as hell laying it on thick...

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 08:23 AM
link   
i have to agree, they are coming about every other day for my weather radio in my office. nothing weather related happening to warrant it either. it goes off at a random time during the day and my secretary is kind of wigging out over it. she said her sisters weather radio has been doing the same thing for a month now

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   
remember, these are "tests" of the E.A.S., they are not ment for the audience to see, as much as to prove to the gov, the the eas is working and would work if and when needed.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Lol freaky as i'm reading this post one just came up on my TV. It appears that the new EAS thing will come on more frequently because it warns of weather hazards as well as running the standard tests, I believe the old system rarely if ever issued weather warnings.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
somehow i cannot put much faith in the ability of that silly little sequence of noises on a tv to save my butt from impending catastrophe.....

"if this had been an actual emergency...MWA HA HA!! HAA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!"

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Yea man I'm with ya here but there is one thing...
CBS, ABC, NBC are local channels so they must test Tornado warnings, thunderstorm warnings and stuff like that. Its pretty required. I'm not saying i dissagree or anything. There has been a lot more recent.

TPL

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Living in the UK i don't know what these broadcasts are like, could someone describe them?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join