It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has Coast to Coast become too commercialized?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I used to listen to coast to coast all the time. But then I recognized that all of these people who were talking were just big time authors or big time researchers in the field and that coast to coast has mainly turned into a marketing platform for these people.

I'm trying to find some small town like paranormal or conspiratorial talk shows. I'm thinking of canceling my subscription to coast to coast. I think they've become too dependent on authors and these other people and George Neory has lost his independence with his thoughts since his content is so dependent on the authors that come on to the show.

Has anyone else noticed this? I'm going to try to find some small town like or like some conspiracy shows or paranormal shows where I feel like the people who run the show can actually connect with me, and they're not like this person doing it because it's their job.

I also really find it sad how George Neory says he wants to find out the truth but he isn't critical of any of his guests-- or many for that matter.

Has anyone else noticed similar observations?

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:18 AM
link   
I've been feeling this way for a while. I think it's good that he has a lot of the big name people on. I don't necessarily think having people on who have written a book is a bad thing, I'm glad he does have a lot of big names in their field. But at the same times it seems like a lot of important topics get ignored on there, or at least they don't get the attention they deserve. And sometimes I get the impression that George doesn't really understand a lot of the stuff the guests talk about. Of course I'll probably keep listening because I'm addicted anyway.

As for replacements, Alex Jones and Whitley Strieber each have their programs. Never got into either of them very much, but it's a start. Haven't found any good local or regional programs though.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Unfortunately it seems guests only come on when they have a new book or show to promote. Usually you can count on just about every other line coming from the guests mouth to be "and I talk about this in my book...".

One other thing that has set me back lately has been all of the shows about global warming. If George is going to discuss that topic, at least bring in some contrasting opinions, not everyone is a believer, and even if they are, not all people believe in one certain cause.

I still love the show but those are some things that should be worked on.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Why pay for a subscription to Coast to Coast AM when a broadcast can easily be heard from many radio station websites? Meanwhile, yes, if you are not famous, or infamous, and don't have a product to sell, C2C doesn't want to interview you. It's become a pathetic crappy program since George Noory arrived. He has no clue. I remember the first time JC called him to rant and rave and give us some humor and George hung up on him. The man is clueless. And now Friday night open lines hardly exists anymore. Instead they fill the time with uninteresting crap. I like to listen to C2C to hear the many stories the listeners have to tell. It can be really entertaining. Instead we get repeated visits from the representative of Billy Meier, or some other beaten dead horse of a subject or guest.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I noticed that too about coast to coast, 99% of the guests on there only come on to sell a book or get you to visit their site to pay to see the so called info they researched.
I bet that's why Art Bell didn't want to be the main host any more.
He doesn't like being so commercialized.

I still listen to coast to coast when they have a interesting show or when Art on the air.

One thing i wish they would do on the show for guests is make sure they know how to talk into a phone, its very annoying to hear person blow into mic when they speak. (hard P's )

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I stopped listening about 3 o 4 months after George Neory took over the show.

The show has been going down since then, and the host is no art bell i can tell you that

I think the problem is that George really asks very light questions and doesn't bother to come up with new ideas or anything at all, he just invites someone to the show, and they talk about whatever the guest wants to talk about, it gets boring like that.

Art used to come up with ideas while on the shows, he used to questions the logic of the guests and sometimes even propose alternative explanations.

But George just wants the guest to be happy, so he always acts as if he truly believes whatever the guest says or thinks, for me, that means the show has no real value as a platform where researchers can discuss their findings, and it is more like, "i have something new and i will go to C2C so that i can promote it, because i know i would not risk getting debunked while trying to get this book out"

Wouldn't that be funny? going to C2C to promote a book and getting debunked right there on the first show? by the host?

And that kind of was the original idea of C2C, to make the guest prove the value of those claims...

I miss the old days...

[edit on 20-2-2009 by Kaifan]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Maybe you would like to try one of these:

www.hauntedamericatours.com...

Haven't really looked at them, but will try them soon too, maybe something good comes up.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
The Richard Syrett show used to be great. But since Jan 2009, they no longer post past shows on the audio archive.

I listened to it as much as C2C, and now it's not available to me :-(

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I am firmly convinced that C2C is a disinformation platform. Here is my reason.

Several years ago, I was listening to a guy talk about free energy. He said "I will tell you how to perform an experiment that will PROVE that our understanding of physics is incorrect, and you can get free energy. You can do this experiment with stuff you have in your house right now." (paraphrased). George Noory said "We have to go to commercial". Immediately on coming back from commercial, he totally changed the subject.

Notice that he does this REPEATEDLY with his guests, when they hit too close to a subject TPTB don't want discussed.

Now, maybe the guy on the show was crazy, and maybe he wasn't. But if you are such a big supporter of "alternative topics" would you let a statement like that go past? Wouldn't you say "Ok, tell us how to prove that free energy exists?". The experiment itself would show whether it was true or false.

Since then, and having observed this multiple times with multiple guests, I have concluded that his show is disinfo.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by sir_chancealot
I am firmly convinced that C2C is a disinformation platform.

Notice that he does this REPEATEDLY with his guests, when they hit too close to a subject TPTB don't want discussed.

Since then, and having observed this multiple times with multiple guests, I have concluded that his show is disinfo.

I use to think that as well, but the evidence points to something else, i believe it has to be more about he really being unable to understand technical explanations or to follow up with the guest or maybe he wants to keep things at a very light level so as to keep certain listeners from leaving the show.

I mean, there's very little to hide when all the guests are the same and when they come to the show with nothing but the same old recycled stuff that nobody believes anymore or that anyone with true current knowledge can dismiss in minutes, i'm pretty sure that the current listener demographics are totally different from the one 10 years ago.

Quick link with some funny stuff about C2C: www.ufoship.com

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I agree with pretty much the rest of you here.

Coast to coast has become too commercialized, and, it's not really good anymore.

I recently found a good paranormal radio station that I'm listening too... and... it's just a bunch better than coast to coast. The host asks tough questions, and, I just think it's far better when the host knows about paranormal.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I used to listen because Art could make a show up on the spot if a guest blew it, and un screened open lines sometimes had amazing bits that have become legendary.
Just IMHO, George brought the show down to the lowest common denominator, runs from a script so many things he doesn't even listen to before moving on to the next question or comment, fails to explore or even catch extraordinary claims or statements, and spends so much time attempting to multi-task that he seriously sounds drunk or high while pronouncing even common words. (Not claiming he is, but that his attention is so spread out he can't speak and read and listen at the same time)
his "Radio Jock" affected voice sounds like a sales pitch, and I never get the feeling he is actually shooting from the hip, but trying to sell me something.

I still listen, and subscribe to streamlink, but don't listen to every show like I used to, as I used to worry about missing something amazing as it happened.
I never listen to open lines, as they are no longer "open", as the callers have to follow format and behave.

Not all is lost though, I enjoy the new fast 1st 1/2 hour, Ian takes the comedic side and has interesting moments---as well as intelligence, and Knapp has the hard hitting journalist style that is needed.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by gotrox

I just canceled my subscription to coast to coast.

I found this new radio program that plays pretty much every day of the week and on the weekend. I just really like the content of the show much more than the content on coast to coast.

I subscribed to coast to coast because I thought I was going to be hearing a great paranormal talk show. But i was disappointed to hear George Neory only talk about some baby conspiracy theories (not real ones), and, it sounds to me like sometimes he isn't interested in conspiracies himself. He doesn't tackle the more serious conspiracy theories but when he has good hosts on his show that's mainly for marketing purposes. Every now and then he'll have a good show about health and stuff but like now that I think about it I'm glad that I canceled my coast to coast subscription. After all, why would I want to subscribe to coast to coast when I could get a better quality service for free?

I just really think that coast to coast has a lot of potential to be good but under its current commercial climate I just can't see myself going back to it. It's a lot better when the guests talk about stuff that aren't like from books all the time or when they talk about their own personal stories without resorting to wanting to market stuff. I just am really disappointed with coast to coast.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Am I the only one that feels that coast to coast is ridiculous?

I don't know why I even signed up for it in the first place. I feel scammed by it. It was supposed to be this paranormal talk show but it really was just a 2012 end of the world show... I feel ripped off...

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Here's my two cents on Coast to Coast;

sometimes there are genuinely good shows, but most of them are just for ratings.. they bring on more sensationalist type people claiming to know the ultimate "truth" far more often than bringing on genuine insiders and whistle blowers.

George Noory is always criticized, but I think he does his job very well.. if you notice.. he's always very cheerful and knows how to get close to the person he's interviewing.. he does have a talent to be honest.. not to mention that George is a likable character. His only flaw, is that he sometimes gets too caught up with the BS a certain guest may be spewing.. rather than take the time to ask critical questions.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Majorion

Really? I don't know if George is good or not anymore. I've been listening to the people at Paravision radio online and I think it's far better than coast to coast. It's like coast to coast in a sense where they have guests come on but the difference between them and coast to coast is that the hosts of the show are actually quite intelligent and they ask good questions. They have good guests but they can hold their own. They don't need a guest to do it for them.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Yes, I also listen to a different show besides coast to coast am, it's called 'Veritas'. But since my dial-up connection has become a substitute for the dearly missed DSL connection, I can barely open a page.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Coast to Coasts guests do not get paid. They are there not just for information but also to push their website, book, or CD's.

I think it stands to reason that they get something for speaking for hours.

George has killed the real show and its real purpose, so has
Ian Punnett, and his babble. They have no emotion, Ian totally deviates from the format of the show, while George is more into his "APPEARANCES'

Tell me, he is no scientist, nor does he have any knowledge or many things, nor does he speak well...
.....He's crazy. He should pay more attention to his show before he gets fired

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I'm just really glad that I canceled my coast to coast subscription.

It was keeping me up late at night. I wanted to listen to it late night because I felt that the shows were good and I also didn't have the time to listen to it on itunes.

I don't mean to sound like a viral advertiser but paravision plays on the evening in my timezone and it's far more easier to listen to that than to listen to coast to coast in the morning as well.

I didn't like any of the conspiracy related shows much on coast to coast. I wish there was another show like coast to coast but that the host asked more challenging questions. I imagine that all of you are probably right in saying that coast to coast has died. But, I think quite frankly that George Neory sometimes lacks intelligence. It's just the way he blindly believes what his guests tell him (or he seems to) and the way he never questions his callers. I think he's doing it just for his job.

The show is a misinformation show. It doesn't really inform you of many conspiracies. It claims to do what it actually doesn't. They have these whacky people on there and they talk about whacky things.

I'm so mad right now. I almost became a skeptic of UFOs, and, I almost became a skeptic of all of these things because of George Neory. He did a terrible job and he didn't really seem to have a point of view on these paranormal phenomenas, when he did, he seemed to shine, but that's inexcusable, for a show of this caliber you're supposed to be able to do good every night.

George Neory just almost turned me off completely from the subject. I wanted for a show to introduce me to the realm of the paranormal and conspiracies beyond what I already knew. But coast to coast really didn't offer anything new. It doesn't live up to its hype. Rather it's now just a commercial market.

I'm somewhat really angry right now. I wish I could have all of those hours that I spent listening to coast to coast back and doing something productive.

It's just that the show I'm listening to now is far better. I mean, it's just I can't believe how unintelligent George seemed at times.

Does anyone else share similar feelings as I do? With respect to George and the show?

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Guest have always pushed their books, websites and videos on Coast to Coast - that's nothing new.

Coast to Coast has always had too many advertisements, but they have to pay the bills and you can always subscribe so you don't have to hear them.

I quit subscribing because the show is boring most of the time.

As others have mentioned Art is a clever dog and he can turn a boring show in to magic with his wit & humor. Just the unpredictably of unscreened callers and the professional way in which Art handles them with care itself adds another dimension to the show - that is no longer there. Art actually listens intently to the guests and the callers and you can tell by his questions.

George screens his calls, doesn't have much opinion and seems like he's not paying attention half the time. While all host are going to have scripted questions, George reads his like he didn't hear what the guest said prior. He just reads his script like he's in a hurry to finish the show and go home.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join