It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White people avoid race topics

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
we all face some kind of prejudice in our life and it is just something us as a people have to face in this time and day. whether it be race,age,size etc.. we all will face it. its human nature to look at people that are different than you in an awkward fashion.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellish-D

So what you are saying is that every doctor should look at every person without color whatsoever and not treat them?And just ignore genetic diseases alltogether? That is what is dangerous.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
So if we talk about race were viewed as racist if we don't we are viewed as racist. Perhaps people who think that way are the racists? This type of backward logic only exists in illogical bigots.

People today will waste there time on a whole variety of subjects, race is the least of my concerns frankly. I don't care what color of skin you are I won't associate with people who express those kind of ridiculous ideas. I sware there are people who refuse to move on and evolve, gain knowledge, let go of past grievances. I would apologize but I've never been racist in my life, I was raised better then that! When I see a racist person I seriously feel a mix of pity and unbelief.

That box you live your life in is holding you back, cutting your experiences in this life to almost nothing. We are all human, we all have a heart, a spirit, a soul, we all feel the same things.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
In a professional setting, if you are white, there is nothing to gain by discussing race. There is a lot to lose though, the subject is one big minefield. Say the wrong thing, to the wrong person, and whoops, now you're unemployed! Even worse, let someone that you don't know overhear something out of context. Oops!

This has never happened to me, but I have seen it happen to others. I have worked for many companies large and small and have seen people sent to sensitivity training for telling a joke, or even repeating a television skit.

Whatever you do, don't repeat anything that you hear Chris Rock say, or Dave Chapelle. That's a one way ticket to the unemployment line.

On the other hand, outside of work, if you have friend or two that you fell comfortable with. That's when you might ask some questions or discuss some issue, or even tell a joke or two.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by orkson

I will go ahead and say what every whitey including myself that has clicked wants to say. Whitey has let it go. We let it go, we let it go so far that now it is legal to be racist against whitey.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Well, well...this is obviously a hot topic. I suggest that there is a need in this country for people to start speaking frankly about race and end the stupid politically correct garbage that we have been subjected to up to now. Won't happen, though...editorial cartoon with a chimp as the author of the Stimulus? RACIST! Obama with big monkey ears (even though he actually has them)? RACIST! Obama with big lips (even though he has them)? RACIST!

There is no more humor or civil political discourse in this nation. Damn shame.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   
To OEKSON.
I have been to NAACP meetings, helped solve inter-city issues and I am White. However, your remark it somewhat a double-edged sword. The statement and observation is true; however over 30+ years being involved, the backfiring is often due to 'feeling of bitterness' that have to be let go or no healing will occur. If the white community, as young as 10, according to the poll, feel a perception of rejection and the black listener, because of 'living the experience' cannot let go of their own or their father's or mother's perception - it sounds like a stale-mate at chess.

1. White folk do not like to talk about racial issues because it can be easily 'misinterpreted' by minorities, as a person speaking of issues they know nothing about and the minority being insulted because they feel the whites cannot have empathy. They haven't lived where I have. True. However, let us define white people. According to United States forms committee, it is anyone who is not Asian, Hispanic, Native American or Black. Therefore 'white' would include Israeli, Arab, Russian, Armenian, Iranian, Iraqi, Georgian and several other countries.

I believe you would find a great dispute, discussing non-empathy of segregation to an individual perhaps from Slovakia - who by U.S. definitions would be white, yet has suffered as other countries east of Italy with blood wars, genocide and segregation for centuries. These 'whites' know all too well the pain.

2. The definition of Black is greatly diverse as well. Many Blacks in America could not related to the issues faced by Blacks in Botswana or Ghana. Still many American Blacks persist in the nomaclature of African American. I have also discussed this issue with Blacks from Africa who feel rather insulted. For example, I do not call myself a Danish American, or an Armenian American, or an English American. I designated myself by my citizenship. I am an American.

I love my flower garden with a plentitude of plants and multiplicity of colors and hues. It would be rather dull, if it made only of yellow daffodil.

Please understand, the pain is known too well by many. I have southern roots. I've talked for hours to black brothers and sisters who have 'unloaded' years of emotion. I have not interrupted, just listened. Then slowly turn the picture around. Believe me, I know it will take perhaps more than a 40-year trek in the wilderness to untie the mess of emotions; because some black and some whites don't want it untied. And the whites that do not understand the hurt, yet were never a part of that hurt, and want to reach out in a neighborly, Godly way, keep getting pushed back.

And the pushing goes both ways. The blacks who are sick and tired of living in their granddaddy's shadow, come out (not so much in California or New York) and get shoved down. Yes, I am speaking in geralities. However, not to offend the Southern hospitality; but there are streets of quiet towns I would not want a friendly, arm-out stretched black going down. 30 years ago, I went down a street in Alabama and had a shotgun shoved in my face — No thank you.

Dear OEKSON, it will take love, patience and effort on both sides. And we will overcome.

Sincerely,
Minds4Sale (Where's a prayer button?)

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by RR98
Well, well...this is obviously a hot topic. I suggest that there is a need in this country for people to start speaking frankly about race and end the stupid politically correct garbage that we have been subjected to up to now. Won't happen, though...editorial cartoon with a chimp as the author of the Stimulus? RACIST! Obama with big monkey ears (even though he actually has them)? RACIST! Obama with big lips (even though he has them)? RACIST!

There is no more humor or civil political discourse in this nation. Damn shame.

Like what exactly, I don't particulary get what there is to talk about?

People are gone to sensitive and talking forever about race, and what will your advice do WHAT exactly

Some people need seriously to GET OVER IT.
Move on, put your difference aside and get on with your life

I have no issues, despite been white I too have some difference and I have a small dissablity. Do I go around waving the flag look at me I'm deaf.

I'm sorry to say, but in general it is black people that always make a big deal out of this than any other does. Black's in America have alot of achievements so far and have come along away from the slavery and what not. Get ooooon with it. I don't have issues with black people, white people, yellow people or orange people.

But if an orange person was going to keep rabbiting on about their colour I'm getting up and leaving.

[edit on 21-2-2009 by universe attracts wisdom]

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Interesting counter-point to this here: esciencenews.com...

As reported in Psychological Science, a journal of the Association for Psychological Science, those who were mentally depleted - that is, those lacking discipline and self-control - found talking about race with a black interviewer much more enjoyable than did those with their self-control intact. That's presumably because they weren't working so hard at monitoring and curbing what they said. What's more, independent black observers found that the powerless volunteers were much more direct and authentic in conversation. And perhaps most striking, blacks saw the less inhibited whites as less prejudiced against blacks. In other words, relinquishing power over oneself appears to thwart over-thinking and "liberate" people for more authentic relationships.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I'm nethier white or Negro or Black, i'm the inbetween colour, a mixture of both. Mother born in South Africa, her parents indian, Father white born in England, UK, with scottish parents. I was born in England, now living in London. Lots of race, creed and colour here. Racsim is fuelled by the media and people who can't or won't talk about it, we have poverty, war, disease, so many things to deal with in this world, why can't we just get on together living, we all have opinions, agreed, but are all bought up (from our parents or guardians) knowing that you should respect one another! Hey one little blogg isn't going to change the world, but its nice to get it off your chest now and again....................without somebody taking offence!
Why is Politcally correct a good thing ? a few years ago programs were made with people dissing all cultures (see Faulty Towers) but now they're classed as classics!

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I don't know how to take the post out, so I deleted the context. That is all I have to say about that.

[edit on 21-2-2009 by greshnik]

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by greshnik

To answer your questions about blues over here in the states. Most of the blues movement here was done by blacks. The founding fathers of American Blues were a lot of blacks there was whites to but the most known are the blacks. I suggest you get a hold of Some Robert Jonson blues he is black but arguably the father of blue if not the father the greatest ever blues man.

Back on topic yeah it is primarily the “minorities” that keep racism alive. You have good ole Affirmative Action now so that it is legal to discriminate against honkeys

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Many Turks are white.

They might not be the same culture as you. That doesn't effect their genetics one bit.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by prevenge

alot of white people here will say they aren't afraid to discuss the "race" topic.
they'll type on the internet all night long about it.

but when surrounded by african americans in a nightclub..
or hispanics in a barrio marketplace?

are they going to be as open and mouthy on their opinions on it as they would on ATS? I think not.

just takes the agreement that we all do it.

-

Same goes for a racist black guy or racist spanish guy being in front of a lot of white people, obviously they're not going to mouth off their opinions. That's not racial, it's just human nature to have FEAR of being beat down by the people you have negative opinions of.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

One must ask why a caucazoid would not openly speak with those of the negroid persuassion. It is out of fear of violence, 12.7% of the US is negroid, yet they commit 49% of the violent crimes.

White on black crime is 2%, black on white crime is 22%, why would a white person subject himself to a potentially violent outburst for just speaking?

There are different types of human, there always have been as well as there are today between races, skull structures are different, caucazoid skulls have a suborbital nasal ridge while negroids do not as well as asiaoids. Only negroids can get sickle cell anemia. Whereas caucazoid females of european decent are more prone to lupus.

White man has been the scapegoat for hundreds of years, lately it seems to be increasing, blacks feel that they can say and do what ever they want, if the white man replies, he is racist, same goes if he does not reply.

If blacks are so concerned about racism, why do they support it and encourage it by self segregation?

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Understandable.

I think that a lot of white people just do not know enough black people on a level to feel comfortable about talking race.

Best thing is for the generations to come, if your kid asks why that person looks different than you, give them a good explanation why - but in the end, always stress that they are equal to you and are your friends etc.

It is easy to be afraid of something different.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
no offense but whats the conspiracy here?

not sure I'm getting this other than turning ATS into Oprah

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by stinkhorn

I used to think that statistics prove everything. I still do to SOME extent...but remember that families "tend" to stay in the same class from generation to the next. It is only safe to assume that when slavery ended, there were not many high paying jobs for black people. Hell, it seems like that such opportunities only opened up lets say 60-70 years ago at the most?

Back in ancient times, nobles were equal to nobles as slaves were equal to slaves. But when you criss cross the spectrum, comparing a noble to a slave, you will clearly see that they are not equal. Even with all of the comings in todays heritage, people are NOT given equal opportunities to succeed. If many middle class white kids grew up in third class ghetto, the influence could have gotten the best of them.

Now, despite all of that, if someone wants to succeed in life in terms of money they can (given a decent amount of intelligence). But even then, I believe that all characteristics of a human can be modified;such AS intelligence, motivation, etc, - from self cause.

I guess you could say there are many people that live in a different world than you, but live in the same city.

After all that, I still agree with genetic differences. We all, in reality, are not "equal". But even then, we all have something called motivation. It just takes a certain moment to ignite it. That moment, many kids today do not have.

[edit on 21-2-2009 by FritosBBQTwist]

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Attention all mods: get your ban buttons ready. This topic has been brewing for quite some time, and I for one have had enough.

I never chose to be white. I did choose to be proud of that fact. I have no problem with a black, yellow, green, orange, or purple-with-pink-polka-dots guy being proud of their heritage as well. That is as it should be. But I do have a problem when any one group, regardless of what makes them special or unique, begins to claim superiority over others.

That superiority is something I see every day. I see black (Negroid as opposed to Caucasian, to be more correct) comedians using that dreaded 'N' word freely and openly; I see someone else who uses it in a private conversation in a non-racist context ostracized from society (remember Dog: the Bounty Hunter?). That is racism! One group, no different from the rest of society then in the color of their skin, has gained superiority over the rest of society by their ability to use certain words that are off limit to everyone else. Do not give me that hogwash about it being somehow OK for them because they don't use it the same way; there is no distinction made for how anyone uses it, only a distinction of the color of the skin for those who use it.

I voted for Barack Obama for President. Yet, I am regularly accused of being racist when I dare criticize anything he has done or appears to want to do. I guess the vote wasn't enough; now I am somehow expected to agree with his every move as well.

When I go looking for a job, I am judged by the color of my skin. If a Negroid applies as well, despite any difference in work history or ability to perform the job, he will typically be chosen in the name of 'racial justice'. This is also applicable to gender, but that's not the topic of this thread.

So because of the color of my skin, I am forced to look harder for work, unable to say certain words, and still denigrated if I disagree with someone else. Will someone explain to me why that is somehow not racist?

Someone will, I know. They'll say that the Negroid race was discriminated against via slavery and societal oppression for many years, and that this present climate is required to 'make things right'. They'll bring up how slaves were harvested from primitive tribes and brought against their will to a strange land to be bought and sold like cattle. They'll talk about all the stories of these slaves being beaten to death, of families being torn apart, of their women used as sex toys by the evil Caucasian masters... but they'll never mention one thing: I didn't do those things!

Now, since the wrong word used in a multi-racial setting carries the weight of societal disdain and legal action, leading to most Caucasians simply avoiding situations that could cause them societal ruin or possibly fines and civil court action, that in itself is racism? I think not! Now, those who set up the present situation are unhappy with the consequences of ostracism they themselves instigated , we are all automatically racists? I think not! Now, the definition of racism must be expanded to cover people who don't associate with someone for reasons of self-preservation? I think not!

I do not care what color your skin is. It is irrelevant to what kind of person you are. I do care if you are a thief, a drug addict, or a liar. I have yet to find a single survey that equated those two attributes genetically. I do care if you are a Negroid and are exhibiting symptoms of a known genetic disease that affects Negroids. That isn't racism; it's simple common sense.

Some years back, I remember a political discussion on the racism of crime. It seemed that law enforcement was 'racist' because more Negroids than Caucasians were committing crimes.
I thought it was silly back then, and I think this present argument is silly today. My skin is light-colored. Never did I make a choice for it to be that way. As such, it is irrelevant to who I am. I am not a Caucasian, a white man, or a 'cracker'. If your skin is darker-toned, it is also irrelevant. It does not make you a thief, or a ghetto bum, or an ex-slave.

It is an obvious physical attribute. If I am describing someone, I will frequently use the phrases 'white guy'. 'black guy', or 'asian guy' in my description. That is not a denigration! That is a description, nothing more. If you do something I disagree with, I will state my disagreement, regardless of your affinity for melatonin.

"I have a dream", declared Martin Luther King, Jr. He did indeed, and a marvelous dream it was. He dreamed of a day when skin color was irrelevant. We approached his dream, and we celebrated his legacy. Now we soil that dream by using it to increase racial tensions and promote racism again, in a new direction. If I were Dr. King, I would be spinning in my grave at the thought that my dream could be so perverted and twisted by those I tried to help.

I'm not color-blind. I'm color-apathetic, and I take extreme offense at anyone who claims to be a fan of Dr. King and of equality, yet works diligently to destroy both. Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and all the others who have tried to turn this election over political objectives into a color choice, you have my disgust. May you someday be shown for the hypocritical race-baiters you are.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

They'll bring up how slaves were harvested from primitive tribes and brought against their will to a strange land to be bought and sold like cattle.

Great words of wisdom Redneck, if I could applaude you I would. And to your comment that I quoted, People don't like to look at the fact that Stronger tribes in Africa were gathering up smaller tribes to be sold to the white man. Africans sold Africans:O to the white man. So Africans are as guilty as any colonial American white man.

[edit on 21-2-2009 by Ant4AU]

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join