It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drunk man run over by train awarded $2.3 million

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Drunk man run over by train awarded $2.3 million

www.cnn.com

# Story Highlights
# Dustin Dibble, 25, fell on tracks after watching a hockey game at a bar
# A downtown N train ran over him, severing his right leg
# Dibble's lawyer claimed subway driver had time to stop but didn't
# Jury cut award after determining Dibble 35 percent responsible for being drunk.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.democraticunderground.com
www.wjactv.com
www.liveleak.com
news.aol.com

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Where to start? How about WTF. This guy should have been awarded the Darwin award if anything. 35% his fault, 65% the fault of MTA. Lawyers can spin anything it seems even if it goes against common sense. I suppose the only good is that the guy did not die and his family sue for an obscene amount. Most likely more that 3 million. When did being personally responsible for your actions evaporate and every one else is responsible for your safety? In New Your of all places.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   
you know?
who cares?
all these robber barons are getting off scott free just blatantly stealing billions..
what's wrong with a guy getting a few mill to compensate for a life of disability and anguish?

yeah he was drunk
but there "should have could" have been a railing etc..

I wonder how much each Morgellons syndrome victim would get if all stops are pulled out and the truth comes out about the experimentation done on them..

might completely drain the treasury..

HAH maybe that's where the trillions of unaccounted-for pentagon spending is going...
a trust fund set up to reimburse all the human guinea pigs who are suffering the worst nightmare imaginable. ahahah

suffering comparable to falling on tracks while drunk? who knows..

one thing's for sure...
if the truth did come out about it..
the medical system would be flipped on its a$$.
literally..

complete restructuring retraining.. massive job replacement for docs too stupid to detect it.
-

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Wow, I would have tried to argue that in his mentally impaired state he attempted suicide by jumping onto the tracks, and hence, should be incarcerated and given psychological help.

... but then again, some say I'm heartless.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I 'finished' physical therapy about a month ago, I still have to go and do some of the exercises for now but no longer under the doctor's watchful eye as I do it, they have shown me how. This started last July when a driver ran over me, as a pedestrian, while watching the fireworks, and then she saw fit to drive off and decide not to see to my injuries first. Hit and run. I, and several others, got her tag number, other folks are so lucky I was the only one she ran over, there were lawn chairs lined up right behind where I was standing full of families watching the show. The lady had the nerve to look through her sideview mirror and exclaim that she is trying to back up, asked if I was okay, and after being told that I was not okay, she drove off. So her insurace gave up a claim number, then didn't pay the initial bill from the emergency room, now I find out they are trying to claim it was MY fault she ran over me. MY FAULT!? WTF? I start looking up on the net at this particular insurance company and settlements they have paid in the past, and apparently this is how they always handle a hit and run with pedestrian, try to shift the fault to the injured party. I have an attorney now, he says that I will win the case, eventually, this tactic will only stall the inevitable, but I am the one who's credit is being ruined by medical bills unpaid, time out of work, ooooo I get so angry! Sorry, this story just made me think of my own situation.

edit to add: BTW, I was not drinking, and this accident took place in a parking lot where hundreds of folks come every year to view the fireworks, it is a well known popular location to bring your chair and food and kick back for the show. However the lady who ran over me, I was told by other revelers, was drinking with her hubby openly while watching the show.

[edit on 20-2-2009 by space cadet]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Another great example of the American system rewarding absolute stupidity. if you are to drunk to relize what you are doing and you get hit by a train...youre an idiot. you are a neglegent retard. what if he was driving and killed some innocents would the court reward him money because the police didnt pull him over? cases like this is why the country is so screwed up

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by prevenge
you know?
who cares?
all these robber barons are getting off scott free just blatantly stealing billions..
what's wrong with a guy getting a few mill to compensate for a life of disability and anguish?

yeah he was drunk
but there "should have could" have been a railing etc..

-

This is one of the fundamental problems facing America. Lack of personal responsibility. Always blame the deep pockets, then complain when prices go up.

If I were a criminal or plaintiff, I'd love the jury system, but as a tax payer, and believer in justice, I believe we need a system of professional jurors. A joke in law school was that people who serve on juries are too stupid to get out of jury duty. It's true.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
do you know it takes like 2 miles for a train to stop? even if they wanted to stop in time to save a drunken idiot they couldnt. i cannot belive some stupid judge awarded him money....maybe i should go get tanked and stand on a railroad track, instant millionare!!!

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

With the right attorney, you could probably successfully sue the company who put on the fireworks display, the city, and the vehicle manufacturer.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by stevegmu

Sometimes those deep pockets need going in to. I am not trying to get rich off my injuries, but the insurance company themselves forced me to get an attorney, and that automatically comes with a lawsuit attached.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
people will sue for millions if they get a scratch...as long as the company has money and you find a decent lawyer. it is absolutly riddiculous and wrong.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Well you know what.
Maybe, just maybe, the evidence the Jury got to see which we didn't.
Proved the driver, who was probably reading the paper or napping, could have stopped.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by BorgHoffen

thats true we didnt get to see all evidence but none the less the man was 1. drunk 2. an idiot 3.trains take miles to stop 4.there are several engineers on a train 4.jurys are easily swayed by emotional testimony

in my opinion the man bears 100% of responsiblity and the train co. bears 0%

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by BorgHoffen
Well you know what.
Maybe, just maybe, the evidence the Jury got to see which we didn't.
Proved the driver, who was probably reading the paper or napping, could have stopped.

The driver of the train could have been high on crack, and that wouldn't change the fact that the drunkard was on the track.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by stevegmu

thank you...the neglegence of the drunken idiot outweighs almost anything the conductor could have done...you must be pretty drunk to not see a thousand ton frieght train barrelling towards you!

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 02:50 AM
link   
lesson learned: Get drunk and get hurt and you get lots of money. Thanks modern law.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Must've been the same idiot judge who made the rancher in Arizona pay those illegals.

Totally absurd!

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

I don't know about anyone else ,But I've been ready to file a class action suite for a couple of years now. Anyone with me? [email protected] skb

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
imagine a drunk hockey fan getting 2.3mil for his own stupidity
i'm sure he's happy over this

he probably quit his job and will live a life of beer and sports
I wish I didn't see this thread

its just so...............
bah, there's no word for it

top topics

join