It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House: Obama Opposes 'Fairness Doctrine' Revival

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   

White House: Obama Opposes 'Fairness Doctrine' Revival

www.foxnews.com

President Obama opposes any move to bring back the so-called Fairness Doctrine, a spokesman told FOXNews.com Wednesday.

The statement is the first definitive stance the administration has taken since an aide told an industry publication last summer that Obama opposes the doctrine -- a long-abolished policy that would require broadcasters to provide opposing viewpoints on controversial issues.

"As the president stated during the campaign, he does not believe the Fairness Doctrine should be reinstated," White House spokesman Ben LaBolt told FOXNews.com.

That was after both senior adviser David Axelrod and White House press secretary Robert Gibbs left open the door on whether Obama would support reinstating the doctrine.

"I'm going to leave that issue to Julius Genachowski, our new head of the FCC ... and the president to discuss. So I don't have an answer for you now," Axelrod told FOX News Sunday over the weekend when asked about the president's position.

The debate over the so-called Fairness Doctrine has heated up in recent days as prominent Democratic senators have called for the policies to be reinstated. Conservative talk show hosts, who see the doctrine as an attempt to impose liberal viewpoints on their shows, largely oppose any move to bring it back.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Finally.

So Obama actually isn't going to limit free speech, one of the last thing, that these reporters have left. I think reporters should be allowed to put their bias into the news because it's what you would do when you talk about politics, and, I think that it's only natural for news broadcasters to put their bias in the news. I think that while the news should be objective-- and while-- I tend to stay away from partisan based news groups and news agencies I think that the fairness doctrine really isn't fair at all because it would prevent news journalists from saying what their opinion about an issue is. People who are concerned with knowing other views out there could just look for some other media pundit who's talking about the same subject to find out about something. But I think that the fairness doctrine would just be one more push of legislation against free speech. I feel this is important because this has been the issue of much discussion on ATS... I'm glad that he isn't stupid enough to bring the fairness doctrine back.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Yeah. Wait and see, it wouldn't be the first thing he ``changed`` opinion about.

Or some of the big propagandists on Fox News or Limbaugh will say something outrageous and Obama will change his stance. Or when congress pass it, he will call it ``the will of the people``.

Just watch.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Do you have a problem with people stating their opinions on the news or something? People should know that if they're watching the news that people are going to be biased when they give commentary about the issues.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Obama has already made it clear he has no problem regulating content as long as Congress and the FCC do not call it "Fairness Doctrine."

Get ready for "The Free Speech and Internet Access" doctrine, or some other such blather that actually limits free speech and internet access.

1984 is coming, about 25 years late!

What will happen to ATS when "free access" to opposing opinions is MANDATED by the regs.? T & C is gone, or any other restriction!

It is coming and you won't even see that until it is over.

Deny Ignorance!

jw

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35

Do you have a problem with people stating their opinions on the news or something? People should know that if they're watching the news that people are going to be biased when they give commentary about the issues.

Yes, I certainly do. And you should, too!

"News" is an objective reporting of FACTS. "News" is not an opinion.

Opinions are "Commentary." Opinions are NOT-facts; they are interpretations and 'comments' on FACTS. That's why it's called "Commentary!"

The fact that most of the MSM and the audience have blurred the distinction or no longer give a damn is the main reason the MSM have no credibility among those who care about the distinction.

Some viewers believe "The Daily Show" is 'News.'

Some Reporters and Editors believe the "News" calls for opinion.

This couldn't be more screwed up if you tried.

Is it any wonder that you can buy a share of NYT stock for less than the cost of "The New York Times?"

deny ignorance

jw

[edit on 19-2-2009 by jdub297]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   

This is unbelievable. Wow, just wow. Every time a new piece of information comes out, whether something good or bad, you guys still manage to criticize it.

"Oh - My - God! An aide told us that Obama wants to take Limbaugh off the air with the Fairness Doctrine. We better talk about this for months and months like we know its a fact and it's the end of the world!"

"Oh - My - God! Obama said he doesn't want to do that. I should be happy, since I was upset about it in the first place, but instead, I'm just going to say he flip-flopped and he lied about it!"

Just more proof that he cant win no matter what.

[edit on 2/19/2009 by Irish M1ck]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Irish M1ck

This is unbelievable. Wow, just wow. Every time a new piece of information comes out, whether something good or bad, you guys still manage to criticize it.

"Oh - My - God! An aide told us that Obama wants to take Limbaugh off the air with the Fairness Doctrine. We better talk about this for months and months like we know its a fact and it's the end of the world!"

"Oh - My - God! Obama said he doesn't want to do that. I should be happy, since I was upset about it in the first place, but instead, I'm just going to say he flip-flopped and he lied about it!"

Just more proof that he cant win no matter what.

[edit on 2/19/2009 by Irish M1ck]

It's great MICK, ain't it???

I love it!!!

I couldn't be more out of it if I shot up Bleach and drank a cat $#@$@ smoothy.

Welcome to four years of THE ANTI LOGIC HYPOC EXPRESS ...

Go on blood pressure medicine now! IM

cheers

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
The new fairness doctrine is in an amendment today.
pressuring radio media owners to get conservative off air through "Diversity"

Democratic Sen. Dick Durbin also won approval for an alternate amendment that would order the Federal Communications Commission to encourage radio ownership "diversity."
A DeMint aide said Durbin's measure will "impose the Fairness Doctrine through the back door by trying to break up radio ownership."
The aide called the Durbin proposal "an attempt to break up companies like Clear Channel and hurt their syndications and therefore putting many local radio stations out of business that depend on those syndicated shows for revenue."
The measure passed by a vote of 57-to-41.
The media control doctrine is a policy created decades ago but abolished in the late 1980s that required broadcasters to provide opposing views on controversial issues of public importance.

top topics

join