It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this Atlantis?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nirgal
Right, so how long would it take for:

a)Waters to recede far enough for these shells to be uncovered?

b)Waters to cover a city to a depth of 3.5 miles?

Depends on the geologic instability of the area's in question.

Just curious but what is your source for an ocean depth of 3.5 miles?

Thanks.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Nirgal

Uh, dude there are fossil records of the poles shifting and there is evidence to this fact or what are we discussing now? Not to mention sunken cities recently found off of cube & India...then the aforementioned marine fossils & limestone on the tops of high mountains even . -pst!- Your close minded bias is showing...

Why argue semantics of a lost city's possible name when it's obvious there ARE lost cities that we're not being privy too because people argue whether or not they exist...meanwhile expeditions and research is on going on the subject, hmmm...

[edit on 20-2-2009 by Shakesbeer]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
The symmetry to the east is amazing in those photos even though it is not as thick you can see that it sort of looks like roads or walls. a lot of erosion can happen underwater after a couple thousand years. maybe they got flooded out after the ice age and most of them perished refusing to leave there homes to venture into what would have been a savage earth at the time. Some of them did get away and you can see remnants of their civilization all over the world especially in building designs seen over and over throughout history.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by frailty

Is this Atlantis?

www.thesun.co.uk

THIS is the amazing image which could show the fabled sunken city of Atlantis.

It shows a perfect rectangle the size of Wales lying on the bed of the Atlantic Ocean nearly 3½ miles down.

A host of criss-crossing lines, looking like a map of a vast metropolis, are enclosed by the boundary.

The site lies 620 miles off the west coast of Africa near the Canary Islands — a location for Atlantis seemingly suggested by the ancient philosopher Plato.
(visit the link for the full news article)

This is the source I am using. It may be incorrect but it was cited by the OP so it seems a good place to start. Feel free to correct both me and The Sun. No-one who knows of this paper will be surprised if it is incorrect.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I will try to find some evidence to support the following statement but I believe this is a rather common artifact on google earth/maps. I remember the same kind of thing showing up across random lakes and it was explained away as a overlay error.

I'm not saying conclusively that this what is happening here, I am just saying that this sort of thing as shown up before and there was nothing more than technical glitch behind it.

It is common the reason it occurs is under water mapping is still done by boats they run along lines we get very detailed info along those lines and the rest is sorts just blurred in to match.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shakezoola
Actually finding Atlantis would certainly answer a
plethora of questions!

And there in lies the conundrum.

An admitted "find" by scientific means/accidental would mean that the belief in life and civilizations in some advanced form before the present habitation of this planet would change everything we have ever been told/taught.

I think it would be a bit much to expect the scientific/educational PTB to admit that they were mistaken...

~Holly

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Okay, allow me to rephrase the question I asked earlier.

How could a city make it to 3.5 miles below sea level?

Why is it that far down? Atlantis came over crowded. So the Atlantian government decided to make more room, by digging out a large underground cavern, and building cities and moving some of the population there. The outer walls to the cavern were thin. But was strong enough to hold up the surface part Atlantis. Some time later, a earthquake hit, the outer walls crack and crumble, and Atlantis just drop down to the bottom of the ocean.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   

It's three and a half miles below the surface of the ocean!

Can anyone adequately explain how a city could end up that far below and that far away from a continental shelf without mentioning expanding earth, hollow earth, pole shifts, Nibiru, or 2012?

Or crab people...

[edit on 20-2-2009 by Nirgal]

Originally posted by Shakesbeer
reply to post by Nirgal

Uh, dude there are fossil records of the poles shifting and there is evidence to this fact or what are we discussing now? Not to mention sunken cities recently found off of cube & India...then the aforementioned marine fossils & limestone on the tops of high mountains even . -pst!- Your close minded bias is showing...

Why argue semantics of a lost city's possible name when it's obvious there ARE lost cities that we're not being privy too because people argue whether or not they exist...meanwhile expeditions and research is on going on the subject, hmmm...

I had underhandedly acknowledged India when I mentioned "continental shelf".

I am attempting to establish a time period for when this possible pole shift occurred. If we can date your fossil records then it might be possible to draw a link between this pole shift (shown in fossil records) and the possible city remains found in the Atlantic.

I assume you are referring to someone else vis. arguing semantics of a lost city's possible name.

Oh, and as for being close-minded. If I had already made up my mind on this (as I had with other threads) I would have walked away a long time ago....

[edit on 20-2-2009 by Nirgal]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Nirgal

First off they aren't my fossil records. I believe you can see them for yourself in studies of the ocean floor moving towards the magnetic poles as the magma flows from the divides. I seriously don't want to do your research for you since you seem like you have something to prove & I really don't have time to scan geology books I have or search the net for you. If that's important to you, get to it!

You asked for a plausible cause, there you go; have fun!

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alexander_Supertramp
Just wanted to mention that info from The Sun should be taken with a grain of salt..

If true, it is interesting though...I'm no Atlantean expert though so maybe someone who knows their mythology could stop in here and give their 2 cents.

lol .. true.. but it was a pic from Google Oceans, so if someone looks at the Coordinates and finds it to be accurate, then I would say this could be, possibly, the Archeological find of.. the past few centuries! .. Or the Geological find, as to what natural formation made a perfect rectangle the size of wales!. ..

Either way, I think there need to be a dive expedition to see what can be found.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
there's more to that anomaly than meets the eye, i dont think its Atlantis but it may be something like those ruins in Bimini

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
This is a worthwhile area to look into if you want to find conspiracy galore. Its not like its unknown to some groups and people that there are artificial underwater grids and structures all over the planet.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Oh. It's THE SUN.

Please stop talking about this #e.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by KIRKSTERUK
Oh. It's THE SUN.

Please stop talking about this #e.

Its been sourced to TheTelegraph as well in this thread.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Nirgal

I actually found that spot on google earth months ago after I read where Plato said Atlantis was. (I got big into it, and still am.) There are a lot of other strange shots of the underwater terrain around that area. However I don't think it was a pole shift. In my studies I find that most cultures around that time talked about a giant flaming snake/boar/heaven ball/comet etc etc being seen in the sky and a subsequent flood and fire after. I would guess that a meteor hit (or hit near) the Atlantic ridge and caused Atlantis' volcano to explode from the side (not the top) and ultimately caused the water to rush in the gaping volcano hole and sank the island. I would put that at around 12000 years ago I suppose. You should read up on all the new cultures and peoples that started around that time. A good bit of them attribute their change of scenery to their "island being swallowed up by the sea." There are alot of other interesting facts about it .. lemme see if I can find any of the other shots I got on google earth.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Look peoples, I think it might be Atlantis and claim it on behave of my African brethren on two counts; it is on the African continental shelf and it is very far away from the US.

Just joking.

More seriously, the anomaly appears to be sited on a huge underwater plain. Would not an island that sinks likely to be on a fault line? In the event that a protruding extinct volcano that had formed into a habitable island and then suddenly collapses become a jumbled mass of jagged formations underwater?

Can the geologists on ats reflect on these points please. Unless the anomaly is a natural geological formation, this could be the most fantastic discovery of our lifetime.

[edit on 032828p://pm2844 by masonwatcher]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
reply to post by PhotonEffect

sorry all, the scale is completely wrong !
how big would those buidings be ?
not to mention the roads

I would have to agree, assuming that the image on Google maps is accurately sized. I seriously doubt these are buildings - however the lines could be the remnants of old roads and farmlands. It's hard to believe that they would be naturally occuring, because if they were then you would expect to see other formations around the same area. This one happens to be on the edge of what looks to have once been either a shoreline or a mountain range.

It definately needs investigation, but I wonder if we have anything that can survive the pressure at 3.5 miles down?

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Remember the discovery at Yonagumi where people claimed Atlantis Mu Hyla found? Well with the 90 degree angles and stairs, there apear people who wanted to tell us... It is a massive natural formation :-)
Days after the news all forget it quickly and new profecionals enter the dark zone of the esoteric realm where they loose all academic honors.
Why should it be in any new case be different?
The ordenary people want to sleep without to have to break their schoolbook knowdledge in to pieces.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Nirgal

Here is some info about the pole shift
Hopefully this helps.

Recent work by scientists and geologists Adam Maloof of Princeton University and Galen Halverson of Paul Sabatier University in Toulouse, France, indicates that Earth indeed rebalanced itself around 800 million years ago during the Precambrian time period.[8] They tested this idea by studying magnetic minerals in sedimentary rocks in a Norwegian archipelago. Using these minerals, Maloof and Halverson found that the north pole shifted more than 50 degrees — about the current distance between Alaska and the equator — in less than 20 million years. This reasoning is supported by a record of changes in sea level and ocean chemistry in the Norwegian sediments that could be explained by true polar wander, the team reports in the September–October 2006 issue of the Geological Society of America Bulletin.[9]

Research using GPS, conducted by Geoffrey Blewitt of the University of Nevada, has shown that normal seasonal changes in the distribution of ice and water cause minor movements of the poles.[10]

Much work on this subject has been done by William Hutton and can be found at The Hutton Commentaries website.[11] William Hutton and Jonathan Eagle in 2004 published Earth's Catastrophic Past and Future, which summarizes and extends their earlier work on possible mechanisms and timing of a future pole shift.[12]

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShiftTrio
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Not that I don't agree with you but.
1 Story about Atlantis, 100s about Troy.. Troy is certainly more plausible. IMHO

At first glance I would say fair enough...

To my knowledge, Troy was only really heard about in Homer's stories.

To me this is the same analog as Atlantis and Plato.

I have to say that to me the most plausible theories right now are the "looking for a good place to put nuclear waste" argument which has pictures which are very similar to the pattern, but still have lots of unanswered questions like "where did the other lines go?"

And the second theory is that this is an archeological find.

I'm disgusted by Google and others saying "Ooohkay... Sure it's atlantis" Without having actual data on what it is. Simply because there are tons of archeological finds we stumble on each year which were once laughed off.

Personally I believe a simple voyage to the site by the crew who found the titanic would suffice. Go down, see if there is anything other than potential sonar tracks, and then leave.. simple as that.

Until this occurs, no one should be convinced of anything.

[edit on 20-2-2009 by HunkaHunka]

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join