It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this Atlantis?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Think about the Basque people of Spain whose language is totally UNRELATED to any other known language. Refugees fleeing Atlantis go NE to Europe and colonize. Hmmmmmmmm....

s

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Bear in mind that the article says this :

"Google today claimed the criss-crossing lines were sonar data collected as boats mapped the ocean floor. "

If it is proved to be atlantis , or any other city ground , it just adds more evidential weight to the fact that there was a global flood which every civilization has legends of , and science is backing up with more and more evidence.
Me.....i dont need proof to believe it happened

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
watte kak gat hie an?

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   
The great flood happend for sure.

Whenever I drive throught the outback of Australia I swear I can see the islands that were above the water in the time of the great flood.

I would LOVE this to be a lost city, but im going to need alot more proof first. Pictures and artifacts would be fine.

It is in the right place in regard to Platos account, which is a reason for people jumping on it being Atlantis.

But if we have ever had a pole shift in the earths history it could be in Antartica.

I cant remember all the story but im sure the descpition was something like it being; Seven rings divided by canals, each ring being ruled by a different king or prince. So i have allways visioned it as a seven circles.

But having said that, this could be the centre of the seven rings.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by PhotonEffect

I was looking for ones in support of the story, the links you provided are mainly dismissing the claim.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
This is what I think of the whole "Atlantis" Mythos...

topex.ucsd.edu...

These magenta areas are Currently underwater.

During the last ice age, roughly 15,000 to 40,000 years ago the average ocean depth was roughly 120 meters more shallow.

www.globalwarmingart.com...

So, during the last ice age, those magenta areas that are NEAR the supposed location of Atlantis WOULD HAVE BEEN above water.

The only remnants left of this Mid oceanic Island are a part of the Portuguese Atlantic Archipelago, Comprised of the islands:

en.wikipedia.org... São Jorge
en.wikipedia.org... Pico
en.wikipedia.org... Faial
en.wikipedia.org... Terceira

During the last ice age, with the water levels being somewhat receeded, these islands would have been linked in a much larger above water island, whose port cities (after the "Flood") would have been completely submerged.

So, it kinda fits the theories...

-Edrick

[edit on 23-2-2009 by Edrick]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Wow!! It's in the Sun newspaper (a Murdoch-owned dumb-down rag), so it MUST be true!!

The column written by PLATO HIMSELF is further conclusive proof this is a SCOOP!

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
The site is clearly man made and maybe from the same time as Atlantis. In one case noted an Island did fall then did rise and fell again.

A careful reading of Atlantis end is best explained as our end (the four horsemen).
1). A massive property transfer by legal act. (God comes as a thief in the night).
2). Seen as an injustice a civil rage and blood bath because of it.
3). From this weaken state. A take over by a weaker army in this case the UN.
As "justice" all goodies would go to the victors on top and the rest of the living public gets to work for peanuts.
4). The result is starvation and illness massive death.

A. The earth is forced of its Axis and a pole reversal.
B. Destroyed by the gods. That is God himself by a list of violent plaques.
Note the USA is not seen later in the Great Tribulation and explains why no remains or little from an high tech society..
Before this happened they are noted in old Indian Mss as in a war that resulted in the destruction of the living world Mars. They were also with a war with Rama on the moon. Today I am hunted when I look at the moon in my mind seeing nukes going off and the destruction and lost of Mars. .

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

The Disney people researched Atlantis and said it was or is near Cuba.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Short answer, "no". It's an artifact of the data collection process. Atlantis, if it exists, remains to be found.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Reconciler

this cant be atlantis as its the size of wales that would indicate that the lines would be some 3 miles wide thats SOME roadway and the block system of laying out buildings wasnt used till 1600s. the evidence points to this being the shadows caused by sonar plotting

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
i'm not sure if what they say is true,
1 liner

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by AlienCarnage

Not sure you'll find any in support of the claim. Except for maybe the original article in Sun and this one....

www.dbtechno.com...

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Part 1 of 2 of my post.

I'm not trying to sound arrogant, but I do have some valuable experience:
1. Bachelors Degree in Geology, Penn State, 1977, GPA in geology courses was 3.90.
2. Two and a half years of graduate school. Published paper in Geological Society of America Bulletin (one of the top journals in the geosciences) with no help from my advisor on research or writing the paper.
gsabulletin.gsapubs.org... (look for my name in the list and click on 'abstract')
3. About 20,000 hours experience using high quality stereo digital imagery to make maps. (40hours*52weeks*10years = 20,800 hours minus 800 hours for sick leave, annual leave & holidays = about 20,000 hours.)

The pattern is man-made:
No matter what this grid pattern turns out to be, the shape of it is definitely man-made. It’s not natural. I’m 100% positive. This is based on my tens of thousands of hours experience looking at imagery, plus my background in geology. In the past few years, most of the time I see people discussing a shape on Mars, the Moon, or Earth, the object is obviously natural. The first question to answer is "Is this pattern really on the sea floor or was it introduced later (in the data collection or data manipulation phase)?

From my experience looking at imagery:
The pattern looks just like your typical BUA (built up area) in a dry climate. The kind you find in flat areas in the middle of nowhere in a dry climate with little vegetation. You have a dirt road leading in and one leading out. The "street" pattern is in a rectangular grid although the streets are little more than dirt. I have personally seen it thousands of times. There is one major problem with interpreting this as an "Atlantis grid pattern." It is way too huge! The built-up-areas I am talking about are perhaps an eighth of a mile across. This Atlantis square grid is supposedly the size of Wales. On the surface of things I am tempted to think this is a hoax by one of the data compilers. Then again, it might just be a very phenomenal coincidence.

Huge canals?
If we accept that (1) what we are seeing on the sea floor is really there, and (2) the 3D appearance of it is an accurate reflection of it, then I have a few comments. The lines look to be incised into the sea floor so it seems that the lines are not roads. They have to be small "canyons." The reason is that there is no justification for excavating earth to make a road in an area that is basically flat. Look at a road on a flat area, there are no roadcuts because they aren't needed. So if the scale of 100 miles across is correct, AND these are remnants from an ancient civilization, these lines would have to be interpreted as huge canals.

Discussing "Tracks of sonar scans"
1. First of all, tracks of sonar scans would only be seen in the original data or the resulting images created from it, not on the sea floor. Sound waves (sonar) can't cause grooves or canyons on the sea floor.
2. The lines on the grid stop when they get near the topographic (hydrographic) highs. It seems to me that is they are related to data collection they would continue right over the high areas. Roads/ditches would stop short of the high areas and that is what we see. (this was also noted on 20-2-2009 @ 06:51 PM by big_m)
3. Lots of people posted photos showing long parallel lines. I can easily believe that these are artifact of the data collection process using sonar. But a square gridlike pattern doesn't mesh with that theory at all. Also, look at the lower right of the grid. There is actually a smooth curve along a right-angle junction. I don’t think that is how the ships work. They trawl in straight, parallel lines.
4. How do you get small, north-south" trending lines perpendicular to the overall trend that end abruptly when they meet the long lines? Ships can't do that either.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Part 2 of 2 of my post.

More about sonar collection:
Some sonar is collected by dragging a line (cable) behind the ship. The sonar signals are emitted from the device at the end of the cable. The device is NOT dragged on the sea floor. And even if it was, how can you have a cable 3.5 miles long! And how do you reposition it in a way to create the lines in the grid pattern? My understanding is that "sonar tracks" on imagery are simply artifacts of the data collection and/or data manipulation process.

An artifact of the data collection/data manipulation process?
I can't see this as an artifact. Somebody will have to show me a bunch more examples of what they are talking about.

A hoax by a disgruntled data compiler/manipulator?
If this grid pattern turns out to NOT be a physical feature on the sea floor, but rather something that is only on the imagery, it is possibly a hoax perpetuated by someone involved in the analysis and/or preparation of the data before it was sent to Google. The 3D shape of the grid lines could be explained as follows. There is no doubt that there is computer transformation of the original data to create the 3D affect on the images we are looking at. The hoaxster could have added the grid pattern to the data before this took place, thus creating the 3D affect on the grid pattern on the imagery once the data was manipulated.

Can we have some proof?
Post on 19-2-2009 @ 09:20 PM by X-tal_Phusion
"They are false canyons added by Professor David Sandwell, a geophysicist with the Scripps Institute of Oceanography to track bathymetric data usage."
Me: This person does exist because I found his website. But I am wondering whether this guy really said this. If he did, my question for him is thus. "If you added lines or a shape to an image to quantify something, why wouldn’t you simply choose an equidimensional shape such as a perfect square or a perfect circle?" I would like to see a more detailed explanation from him, and I would like to see it on his website.

My request for further information:
Can anyone confirm that this water is really 3.5 miles deep? This is really deep! Wikipedia states that the Mariana Trench has a maximum depth of 6.78 miles.

[edit on 23-2-2009 by Alan Saltsman]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
If this is Atlantis maybe someone would know where it would have been located before if we had a pole shift years ago. If the South Pole was the north and vise versa then Atlantis would have been in another spot on the southern hemisphere I believe....

I've seen others talking about this also and was wondering if anyone out there knew where it would be given this scenario...

Thanks

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Alan Saltsman

This is really deep!

Considering that the deepest depth a scuba diver can survive is about 250 meters, and this 3.5 mile depth is 5.6 km, it will not be possible for private individuals to verify this by inspection.

Maybe wealthly people wil be able to create thier own sonar maps, but to actually go down there and explore it will take a government sponsored effort.

All this means is we'll probably never know the real 'truth', if there is anything really 'good' way down there ...

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by frailty

People in this day of age think of atlantis as a "place" or even "city", when in reality atlantians and worldly people were able to go anywhere with their will, for their conscious was in a higher vibration.

this will come for us in 2013 - the age of aquarius.

Bliss.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Reconciler

"Google today claimed the criss-crossing lines were sonar data collected as boats mapped the ocean floor. "

If it is proved to be atlantis , or any other city ground , it just adds more evidential weight to the fact that there was a global flood which every civilization has legends of , and science is backing up with more and more evidence.

would you say then there is truth to the old testements noas ark?

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Reconciler

global flood?..erm..why is this evidence of a global flood?..thats like saying rocks being under water in the middle of the pacific are proof of a global flood..

by the way..Plato described Atlantis sinking into the ocean around 9000 BC...how does that fit into the biblical time scale?

[edit on 24-2-2009 by alienesque]

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join