It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this Atlantis?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Hello all. New to this forum. The awnser to this is quite simple. It seems there are several highly intelligent individuals posting replys to this post. My point is this, Atlantis supposedly sank 9000-12000 years ago. In that time, undersea erosion would have wiped this area clean as well a plate tectonics. Also, if it sank 3.5 miles down, collapsing under itself in a violent way, ie earthquakes/volcanoes, it would not survive INTACT. It would not submerge in one piece preserving these roads/canals. As mentioned earlier, why do these roads seem to cut directly through hills? Modern scanning of the ocean is typically done using grids. The ships performing these scans are computer controlled using gps, ie 90 degree angles. I am as skeptical as anyone on this site but this has gone way too far. Simply the fact that the British government was scanning in this exact location should have put this to bed. Lets move on.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by da pickles

I agree with da pickles. I was impressed at first, but as I got more involved in searching the ocean floors... I discovered a fully operational Starbucks about 12,000 feet deep, somewhere between the coast of California and the east coast of Poland. I wish I'd marked the spot with a placemark because I haven't been able to find it ever since.

But anyway, that's when I started to become skeptical about Google Earth and decided I'd had enough to drink and that it was time to go to bed.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I am of the opinion that the America are Atlantis. The Toltec's were an advanced race compared to others of the time. They could very easily have built a civilization that fits the description that Plato gives.

With the discovery of cocain and coffee in the wrappings of Egyptian mummies, it should be obvious that an ancient trade route between the Middle East and the Americas existed.

With trade comes information and that information tends to get exagerated. Streets paved with gold, super intelligence, advanced weapons, etc. In short it becomes a legend.

It is interesting that some of what Plato wrote and what others later speculated on, matches the legend of el Dorado. Coincidence? Maybe, but maybe not.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by frailty

I would have thought just look for a sign post Atlantis 50 mi that way.
We all know they had indoor plumbing, so somebody must have the
bath running.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by lunarminer

Well, I did a bit more looking on Google earth for these mysterious "Roads" and lo and behold, I found a great big swath of what appears quite similar to those in question off the coast of Los Angeles.

I followed one from L.A. through various straight edge "Artifacts" and found myself at Hawaii... no doubt mapped by a trade vessel/Naval vessel of some sort.

(Bummer)

It does seem odd however that this "Atlantis" formation would be so systematic in nature, if a sonar scan is indeed all that it is.

Perhapse the "artifact" itself isn't anything of consequence... but if it is sonar scans (probably) then who would be looking for WHAT in the middle of nowhere?

And so methodically?

I have scoured the Google earth, and have found more examples, but they seem to be only on well established trade routes... and nothing so precise in nature.

Someone HERE was looking for something. (Treasure hunters, lost naval vessel, magnetic anomalies, who knows...)

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Edrick

I haven't checked this out but you might want to. The US military has lost things over the years. They lost an H bomb off the coast of Georgia near Tybee Island, they lost one off the coast of Spain, and the lost one off the coast of Japan. Take a look at these areas and see if you find any of those kinds of tracks.

I just checked online and the USS Scorpion was lost at sea in 1968 near the Azores. This could be a part of the search pattern? I don't know for sure.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by lunarminer

OK, I just checked it out and sure enough the grid patterns are close enough to the Azores to be a search pattern for the USS Scorpion.

It sank in waters deep enough that the Navy had to bring in the Trieste II deep submergence vehicle to look for it. It was the only vehicle at the time that could have reached it, with maybe the exception of the Alvin.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by frailty

theres actually a few of those types of structures found off the coast of Japan also.. just not the same size.. nice find.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by lunarminer

With the discovery of cocain and coffee in the wrappings of Egyptian mummies, it should be obvious that an ancient trade route between the Middle East and the Americas existed.

Why coffee? Coffee originated in Ethiopia. What significance is coffee in Egypt? Doesn't prove squat...

[edit on 21-2-2009 by TheComte]

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I wouldn't rule the area out entirely.
There is a lot of ancient history in the area and also in particular around the Canary islands. Cleopatras daughter married King Juba II and lived in what is now called Morocco. They also had holidays at the canary islands. Ancient rectangle pyramids have been found there, intact, which they have dated back to around 1,000 AD although i think they are older and date back to the time of Cleopatras daughter.

www.abouttenerife.com...

The pyramids were made out of volanic lava stone.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
The data collected for that particular region was gathered from boats. More than likely the lines are an artifact from the data, they reflect the paths of the boats.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by big_m

"Google and/or others were complaining that the image was a product or artifact of sonar/computer processing."
>>The picture on Yahoo! was centered on the *city* and further enhanced as to a tighter view and sharper resolution. Other Members uploaded pictures showed a wider area of the ocean floor.

"For my two cents' worth:
...There was also a trench extending to the lower left of the image and also what appears(?) to be a river to the upper right of the grid network."
>>The whole area is also near the islands of Tenerif and San Christobal(spelling?) which might be appropriate if the original inhabitants of the *city* revered the present islands as volcanic mountains, *home of the Gods*, at that time.

"Also, the Aztecs didn't actually build the pyramids in Mexico City, their legends indicate *the Gods* built them."
>>There's anso a smaller city on an island in the South Pacific that was built out of volcanic material mined from the area. Present day natives living there are techlologically incapable of doing it themselves.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   

While Google's mapping program is turning up many formerly hidden objects, a lost city under the sea isn't one of them, says a company spokesperson.

The addition of sea-floor topography to Google Earth earlier this month revealed what some claim could be the lost city of Atlantis.

But Google (NSDQ: GOOG) says the undersea grid lines spotted by aeronautical engineer Bernie Bamford while browsing Google Earth's ocean maps are data artifacts rather than sunken streets.

"[W]hat users are seeing is an artifact of the data collection process," a Google spokesperson said in an e-mailed statement. "Bathymetric (or sea-floor terrain) data is often collected from boats using sonar to take measurements of the sea floor. The lines reflect the path of the boat as it gathers the data. The fact that there are blank spots between each of these lines is a sign of how little we really know about the world's oceans."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

source: www.informationweek.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Reading through this thread is unpleasant.

1. A part of the posters dismiss this story because it was published in "The Sun"...although its been published in other more sincere newspapers as well.

2. Another part dismisses this story just because someone denies its an ancient artifact and is instead a "sonar artifact". Many who use this to deny the story dont even seem to be sure about what that is supposed to mean. "Because someone said it, it must be true".

3.Another part is insisting that "this is Atlantis" instead of just being happy with the fact that it may be some ancient submerged human-built site. Then you have others dismissing the entire story because of the label "Atlantis" and "because Atlantis was described as round by Plato".

The Ignorance displayed is almost beyond belief, not only here but also in the Newspapers reporting about it.

The important question is: Could it be an ancient artificial underwater site? Answer: Yes. Can we send someone there to check? Answer: Yes. Can someone explain just what the heck the "sonar artifacts" mean and why a boat would be doing that in that area? Answer: Yes. So why not get on with the really important questions?

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
The fact that several different people have brought up the exact same statements about sonar, as if they are the first to do so, is more than a bit aggravating. Nevertheless, no matter how many times I've read it, it still does not convince me that is what it is.
Its a possibility, sure, but not any more definite than any other theory at this point.
As far as whether or not its Atlantis, who cares? At this point it is an interesting picture that provokes the imagination. Facts would be nice, but they are in short supply at the moment IMHO.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
In very small numbers at a time in between the arrival of the Bakaratinians and the colonising of Lumeria.

They had settled on a continent known to you as Atlantis, but, as much for material as spiritual reasons, their civilization failed completely.

Atlantis, like the continent of Mu, did exist and was situated in the northern hemisphere, in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. It was attached to Europe, and linked to America by an isthmus and to Africa by another isthmus at about the latitude of the Canary Islands.

Its area was slightly greater than that of Australia.It was inhabited by the people of Mu, approximately 30 000 years ago - in fact, it was a colony of Mu. There was also a white race there - tall blond people with blue eyes. It was the Mayas, very learned colonizers from Mu, who governed the country, and they constructed there, a replica of the Pyramid of Savanasa.

Seventeen thousand years ago, they explored the Mediterranean thoroughly, going via the north of Africa where they acquainted the Arabs, (descendants of the cross-breeding between yellow and black Bakaratinians) with much new knowledge - material as well as spiritual. The numerical script, for example, still used by the Arabs, came from Atlantis, and from Mu, of course.

They went to Greece where they founded a small colony and the Greek alphabet corresponds almost exactly to that of Mu.

Finally they arrived in a land that the natives called Aranka and which you know as Egypt. There, they established a strong colony with a great man, by the name of Thoth1, at its head. Laws were established which embodied the beliefs of Mu and the organizational principles of Atlantis. Improved plants, new techniques for raising cattle, new methods of cultivation, pottery and weaving were all introduced.

Thoth was a great man of Atlantis, extremely knowledgeable materially as well as spiritually. He founded villages, built temples and, just before his death, he had constructed what you now call the Great Pyramid.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

The important question is: Could it be an ancient artificial underwater site? Answer: Yes.

The answer is no. It's not even a debatable issue. The evidence is clear that this "Atlantis" is the result of the inclusion of data gathered by ships doing a seafloor survey laid over lower-resolution seafloor topography. Let me help you.

This is a report from 1987 titled "THE GEOLOGY OF THE MADEIRA ABYSSAL PLAIN FURTHER STUDIES RELEVANT TO ITS SUITABILITY FOR RADIOACTIVE WASTE DISPOSAL". This report is a summary of work done for the purpose of assessing the area on its suitability for radioactive waste disposal.

On page 52 of this report is a map labeled "Figure 3a - Ship's tracks from which underway geophysical data were collected...". I'll reproduce this map here for convenience:

The first thing to notice about this map is that it covers the same area as this supposed "Atlantis". The second thing you may notice is that the ship tracks in the central portion of the map seem to be of a similar pattern to the "Atlantis" site. The third thing to take note of is that the seafloor data gathered is limited to a narrow band directly under the ship. So, if you display this data as topography you would only have what look like lines over a big, blank area of no data.

So, if this "Atlantis" is merely the result of overlaying narrow bands of higher quality sonar survey data over lower quality seafloor topography we would expect to see the "Atlantis" lines match some of the map tracks from Figure 3a. We have the map coordinates so let's overlay the map onto Google Earth and test the hypothesis...

Indeed, we see that the "Atlantis" lines match lines on the survey map. You may see this more clearly using this Google Earth 5 file. Use the slider under the GE "Places" folder to adjust the map transparency.

Given the data presented here, it is conclusive that the "Atlantis" lines are survey tracks.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by frailty

Ok so i was looking and if you zoom out from that image - and to the left you can see another (not so pominent) grid like feature - could this be more to it? if you look closely you ca see "road like" features leading to the grid on the left..... just curious

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
if it is lines from sonar,

1 why are thay mapping there,

2 why do thay map right on the edge of wot appears to be flat to lower bumpy terrain ans wot looks to me like a old coastline with a city close,

3 the sonar patterns look nothing like thos of the supposed atlantis lines AT ALL

4 can the people who mapped it come forward and help debunk

5 can we get down there a take a look a closer look!

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by IAttackPeople

Nice work there IAttackPeople, very nice work.

This may not be enough for everyone for this issue to be resolved but it's certainly enough for me. thanks.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join