It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is it always the American workers that get laid off?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
If it is going to be the American workers that have to pay for all of this stimulus money to bail out the car manufacturers or any other big company ...why not lay off the employees in other countries that our jobs are being out-sourced to in the first place? I just got laid-off. Jobs are getting harder to find! What country do I have to move to to get a job with an American company?

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
You obviously don't read international news stories do you?

Have a search online for stories outside america about layoffs...there's plenty of them.

I'd provide links but I think you should convince yourself.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Unfortunately, I think the collections businesses in India are absolutely booming.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
People get laid off everywhere........
If you're willing to work for 70 cents an hour you could move to india or south america and find a job there....

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I believe a number of H1B visa holders have also been laid off. Which is worrying Asian-Indian recruiters.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Oh trust me those people were probably laid off before You were. As a matter of fact most of the jobs went to china and india. Chinas economy was very dependent on trade and now they are not trading squat so guess what thousands of factories have slowed down. There are riots breaking out over the world so guess what We are not that bad off yet wait till 25% of the people are out of work and you see starving people in the street.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Mynaeris

Well that is one of the stipulations on the Economic stimulus bill that was just passed, now companies can not lay off any American workers as long as they still have H1B workers and they can not hire any new ones either.

The H1B is one of the most anti American workers bill ever approve by the morons in congress.

Still Bill Gates has been one of the biggest supporter of that bill as earlier as last year he was in congress lobbying for it, we all know that he outsource most of his workers and in source the rest.

[edit on 19-2-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jkm1864

I did here that China's economy has just flatlined. And now they are getting worried.

I think the only place untouched so far is indonesia.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Here is a hint:

General Motors to Invest $1 Billion in Brazil Operations

SAO PAULO -- General Motors plans to invest $1 billion in Brazil to avoid the kind of problems the U.S. automaker is facing in its home market, said the beleaguered car maker.

According to the president of GM Brazil-Mercosur, Jaime Ardila, the funding will come from the package of financial aid that the manufacturer will receive from the government and will be used to "complete the renovation of the line of products up to 2012."

Source:
www.laht.com...

Our tax dollars are being used to build GM factories in Brazil and Russia so they can lay off American workers.

Ain't that a bitch?
eb

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

You are right they have lost about one trillion dollars of their imports due to American tightening their pockets.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Would you really want to do any of the jobs that were outsourced? To me, working in a call center, sweatshop, or factory assembling low quality products would be hell.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
It's not always American.

My company is a supplier for the auto industry and right now were only doing three days of production a week.

Today I was sitting at my desk going through the time schedules and noticed something really odd.

Every name that sounded like it was American was scheduled for a 40 hour work week.

Every name that sounded Latino was scheduled for a 24 hour work week.

I just put the damn things away and didn't look at them again.

It bothered me.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Mrwupy that could be discrimination, due to the fact that if the company you work for, hire latinos that are American citizens they are discriminating against them.

But in the other hand if they are illegal immigrant workers or workers on visa then I see why they could be doing this to help the American workers.

That is very troublesome indeed.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

But in the other hand if they are illegal immigrant workers or workers on visa then I see why they could be doing this to help the American workers.

That is very troublesome indeed.

The company I work for does hire illegal immigrants. One guy back on the casting decks has been deported twice and they hired him back under three different names.

It is discrimination. They know that no one is going to complain though.

Including me. I need my job.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I see, now mrwupy, in order to give more hours to the American workers they are cutting on the hours of the migrant ones.

Do you thing that is wrong? while is discrimination if the workers are Latinos but American citizens I don't see why it should be a bad thing to have American workers getting more hours at the expenses of illegals.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I don't see why it should be a bad thing to have American workers getting more hours at the expenses of illegals.

Not all of them are illegal.

It just jumped out at me as I looked at the time sheets. Latino sounding names were all at 24 hours, non Latino sounding names were at 40. There should have been a blending, a cross over point, there was not.

It's probably because the production is done by the Latinos and the the desk jobs are done by the Americans.

I don't know.

It was just odd.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
It's all about money. Outsourced jobs are cheaper, foreign workers in American soil are also paid less...

One quick solution - reduce salary rates and or reduce work hours per day or per week or rotate employees.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
My dad has a PhD and has been laid off 5 times in the past 9 years.

So um, why is it that educated Americans are being repeatedly laid off because companies decide to outsource?

Life isn't fair.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Obama also said Buy American...but that got hushed up in a hurry. How can Americans buy American products if most of the American factories are closing because the work is being sent to other countries? No paycheck...no money to spend.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
My dad has a PhD and has been laid off 5 times in the past 9 years.

So um, why is it that educated Americans are being repeatedly laid off because companies decide to outsource?

Life isn't fair.

I'm assuming since he has a PhD he was probably well paid.

For a company getting a green kid fresh out of college who will work for less money is more viable, not very fair I know but a similar thing happened to me.

I got made redundant, then they brought in another guy from elsewhere in the company, who is absolutely useless.

Reason why he kept his job and I didn't?

Because he was earning less than me.

The bottom line rules the business world I'm afraid.

top topics

join