It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm not religious, but... there may be some science behind it...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I was thinking the other day about people's beliefs in god, and how you could explain everything in the bible as misinterpretations of what people saw. I began thinking about how through translations, things get lost along the way. I know of many different religions that all believe in some story that is remarkably similar to the story of Jesus Christ. Why are there these similarities?

I think the basic story behind them could be true, but the writings about these things could not be understood by the people of the time.

Just imagine for a moment:

Earth is running out of resources
Life as we know it cannot continue on at this pace for much longer
We need to explore space if we want to survive as a species

Now imagine for a moment:

A different planet that is in the same situation
The people of that planet explore the universe for a place to live
They send two scouts (Adam and Eve) who confirm that the planet is actually inhabitable.
They then take their largest ship loaded with as much life from their planet and ship it off to earth (Noah's Ark).
They splice their genes with the most advanced form of life on earth at the time, to make us humans, and turn them into slaves for the rest of their existence.

Seems plausible to me...
What do you think?

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Not sure I agree with your theory, but I do agree that things are lost in translation.

When I see things like in Genesis, I do not see them as being literal. I see them as a rough and general explanation that was meant for the time. People grade it based on todays understandings, and take it literally and do not see how science doesn't go against it.

For example, where it says on this day this happened, on the next day this happened. These are not meant to be taken as literal days. But rather as a sequence of time periods. And if you look at the creation story in that way, then you see it pretty much goes along with the genesis story. Animals came before man and so on. It was just a more general description. Over time we discover more details about it. It seems to me people only argue over the literal meanings.

I think when it talks about adam and eve, it is kind of recognition that there had to be 2 at the start of it, and all others came from them. Is that not the same as what evolution says?

So not sure I agree with your exact theory, but I do agree on not taking it to be so literal.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I think a lot of the stories in the bible could have a grain of truth to them and align well to other scriptures and prophecies.

The problem IMO is the people who insist that the Bible is absolutely and literally true--or, more recently, who try to say something that just isn't there. Like Jesus was also Buddha and Quetzacotl and whatnot or that X character was actually a UFO. I don't mind the speculation of course, that is healthy, but some of the "BIblical Revisionists" are just as dogmatic and really get my goat.

Interestingly I always thought tha the reference to Eve being created from Adam's rib might point to genetic manipulation of some kind.

[edit on 19-2-2009 by asmeone2]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by gopher mines

Good for you for thinking outside the box!! It does not matter that it is totally correct or even partially. The point is that you are not discounting possibilities.

It is obvious that there is much more story behind the Genesis story. Where did Cain get his wife for instance? It is an overview of what took place but not necessarily literal.

One thing I believe is for sure, we have come to AN end of things. Where do we go from here? This is a very thought provoking question.

I am not religious either, but I do believe in a power with consciousness, a Creator who is the master mind of science. Science won't save us, but the power that created it can.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I just finished reading the old testament through a few weeks ago. Took me a around a year off and on. I read the niv even though i know it's a poor translation just so it was a little easier to understand. The thing that struck me was how detailed it was with events, geneologies, money, and wars. The vast majority of it is come across as a history of the events that took place, a very detailed account of events that happened. While job and genesis are told in classic story type accounts, the majority of it is full accounts of seemingly meaningless events as they happened. You would thing if one was going to create a religion, it would be less a historical account and a lot more miracles and doctrine. More like the new testament. The interesting thing about the new testament though is why these people would make this story up about christ fullfilling the prophecies of the old testament to the minutest details. By doing so they where cutting themselves off from their families and friends, for death and persecution, and i don't know anyone who would die for a lie.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by gopher mines

Consider these things from the Bible and think of Science...

We are of the dust of the Earth. God (energy of life) fills and fattens the Earth. Two of the things that was in the beginning was light and the word (sound). Science shows we are all vibrations of light and sound. Sound forms the light creating vibrations of patterns (geometry and order). The Earth was created from a former material....Adam was created from a former material....Noah held the blueprint for the DNA here (like some sort of substance that can hold massive amounts of information). Religions talk about the importance of the parables and many parables relate to cycles. In the time of Noah, it seemed the atmospheres changed, for now, there was rainbows. Was there not rainbows before?

That is just a few things off the top of my head....

and like you said, many religions have similar tales...to me that says these tales are much older then what we know and were transpired orally for a very long time.

The Ark of the covenant was tried to rebuilt/duplicated once by scientist. I heard they had to dismantle because it held too much electricity or something. Now that is just here say....I have no proof of that...Ill try to google it later.

I think there is a lot of science hidden in many ancient beliefs. The more modern beliefs evolved from something they only tried to understand.

Just thoughts
LV

top topics

join