It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran holds enough uranium for bomb

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Iran's first nuclear power plant, Bushehr I, is expected to be operational in 2009.[3] There are no current plans to complete the Bushehr II reactor, although the construction of 19 nuclear power plants is envisaged.[4] Iran has announced that it is working on a new 360 MWe nuclear power plant to be located in Darkhoyen. Iran has also indicated it that it will seek more medium-sized nuclear power plants and uranium mines for the future.......

....Interviews and surveys show that the majority of Iranians in all groups favor their country's nuclear program, including a full fuel cycle program, but most also believe that nuclear weapons are contrary to Islam.[77][78][79] Polls in 2008 showed that the vast majority of Iranians want their country to develop nuclear energy, and 90 percent of Iranians believe it is important (including 81% very important) for Iran "to have a full fuel cycle nuclear program."[80] Though Iranians are not Arab, Arab publics in six countries also believe that Iran has the right to its nuclear program and should not be pressured to stop that program
en.wikipedia.org...

I just wanted to point this out... They're working on a Nuclear power plant.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
reply to post by ACEMANN

no analysis - its your OPINION , which quite amazingly is flawed;

and what of israel - who have openly theatened to kill the US IAEA inspector going to dimona? who have a declared first use policy and a store house of over 200 nuclear weapons? even germany is a target for at least 1 israeli weapon - even in september a government spokesman reported on ynet said ` we will never forgive or forget ` when asked about germany and the nazi`s.

so who is the real threat to world peace .

You said my analysis is flawed? You threw out a Red Herring and ignored my entire post's core subject matter. I didn't even mention israel!!! I'd like to see a real rebuttal to what I said.

The problem, like I said, is that not enough people understand how these systems work (see my above posts) to even be worried about Iran's activities. You just proved that by ranting about Israel when I didn't even mention the country in TWO posts!

I thought this thread was about Iran having enough Uranium Hexafluoride for a weapon

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by theblunttruth

apparntly you`ve never heard of the samson option - oh and since the 1950`s? i would suggest you read about the theft of the US uranium from NUMEC , Pa and what Shapiro`s role in this was ( and who he really worked for)

no israel stole from the USA the weapons grade uranium it needed to build 1/2 dozen bombs in the mid 1960`s

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:44 AM
link   
On a related note, the IAEA have confirmed again the identification of Uranium at the former Syrian site, destroyed by Israel. Also they rule out the possibility the uranium came from the Israeli weapons used and again are struggling for co-operation from the Syrians. Seems the Israelis got it right.

Gives more credence to their suspicions over Irans program.

link

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by ACEMANN

reply to post by ACEMANN

I thought this thread was about Iran having enough Uranium Hexafluoride for a weapon

But they don't have any weapons grade material, which is the pertinent point here, and one which the doomsayers and media always leave out.
Ok, they have enough low enriched Uranium that COULD then be used for high end enrichment, but they have no means of enriching that low enriched Uranium to a weapons grade level. That is the crucial point.

Press articles like this, meant for distribution for the masses tend to leave out any of the more scientific basics and very pertinent points, instead running with sensationalist headlines and doom for the first couple of paragraphs. Now, many people scanning the papers read the headlines and the first part of the blurb but may not read the rest, having already absorbed the inaccurate leader. Job done!

[edit on 20-2-2009 by Britguy]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   

apparntly you`ve never heard of the samson option - oh and since the 1950`s? i would suggest you read about the theft of the US uranium from NUMEC , Pa and what Shapiro`s role in this was ( and who he really worked for)

no israel stole from the USA the weapons grade uranium it needed to build 1/2 dozen bombs in the mid 1960`s

Actually i'm perfectly aware of the Samson option. i'm also aware that all governments with nuclear arms have a prudent policy as such, this isnt the same as threatening the destruction of another country (which you support).

Actually, you seem unaware of the fact the British actually provided the Israelis with plutonium and weapons grade uranium for their nuclear arms. You obviously have a clear agenda, which i have no qualm with it raises clear anomalies. Lets look at it rationally though, you encourage a religious theocracy with little respect for the lives of even its own people to have the ability to wipe out complete nations. To me, at least, such an opinion is absent of logic.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by ACEMANN

Uranium gas is also to be used to make fuel - for the now completed and ready reactor (and LPW type - which also many MANY people don`t understand what that means - its useless for a weapon cycle)

so whilst its one step in a chain - from getting gas , and making it from 5% > 95% pure is a huge step.

plutonium - the USA supplied a pool type 5mw reactor in the 1950`s to tehran , this reactor is still in operation today - and all the waste produced is in IAEA sealed drums. and not once in 20 years have they opened them.

as for far what you said about quicker assembly of Pu weapons - SA made gun type waepons then dismantled them in the 1980`s - but china first made implosion uranium weapons - unlike the usa who`s implosions bombs are plutonium powered , china`s weapons are uranium powered.

so whilst the unifrom shock wave needed might be technically harder , the science is sound and not massively harder.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by theblunttruth
Absolute tosh, Israel have had a nuclear arsenal since the 50s and have not used one or even threatened to use one, despite being surrounded by "enemies".

Russia has never used a nuclear weapon on anyone, but everyone in the US is up in arms over them! Same with North Korea. And Israel has threatened many times to attack/invade Iran/surrounding "enemies" in the past years. By your logic only the US should be feared because they're the only ones who have actually USED a nuke.

Originally posted by Britguy
But they don't have any weapons grade material, which is the pertinent point here, and one which the doomsayers and media always leave out.
Ok, they have enough low enriched Uranium that COULD then be used for high end enrichment, but they have no means of enriching that low enriched Uranium to a weapons grade level. That is the crucial point.

EXACTLY! It's like if I posted on this website that my neighbour bought iron and is planning on forging it into a knife to kill me, everyone in the vicinity should panic! Even if he did make a knife with it, doesnt mean hes going to go on a killing spree. Seriously.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by sy.gunson
I bet most of you sweet innocent, naive little kiddies don't even know what Tributylphosphate is for ?

TBP is a solvent and plasticizer for cellulose esters such as nitrocellulose and cellulose acetate. It forms stable hydrophobic complexes with some metals; these complexes are soluble in organic solvents as well as supercritical CO2. The major uses of TBP in industry are as a component of aircraft hydraulic fluid and as a solvent for extraction and purification of rare earth metals from their ores. [2]

TBP finds its use as a solvent in inks, synthetic resins, gums, adhesives (namely for veneer plywood) and herbicide and fungicide concentrates.

As it has no odour, it finds use as anti-foaming agent in detergent solutions, and in various emulsions, paints, and adhesives. It is also found as a defoamer in ethylene glycol-borax antifreze solutions.[citation needed] In oil-based lubricants addition of TBP increases the oil film strength. It is used also in mercerizing liquids, where it improves their wetting properties. It is also used as a heat exchange medium. [3] TBP is used in some consumer products such as herbicides and water thinned paints and tinting bases. [4]

Nuclear chemistry

A 15-40% (usually about 30%) solution of tributyl phosphate in kerosene or dodecane is used in the liquid-liquid extraction (solvent extraction) of uranium, plutonium, and thorium from spent uranium nuclear fuel rods dissolved in nitric acid, as part of a nuclear reprocessing process known as PUREX.

The shipment of 20 tons of tributyl phosphate to North Korea from China in 2002, coinciding with the resumption of activity at Yongbyon Nuclear Scientific Research Center, was seen by the United States and the International Atomic Energy Agency as cause for concern; that amount was considered sufficient to extract enough material for perhaps three to five potential nuclear weapons.

en.wikipedia.org...

It obviously has many uses. But of course you and the rest of the warmongering crowd trying to vilify Iran are going to choose the one most suitable to your agenda.

Who do you think you are fooling? Certainly not Russia, who is comfortable with Iran's program, and continues to refuel their reactors. And I object to being called a naive little kiddie. That is against the T&C. So I hope you will be treated like I am when I attack the poster and not the message, or even step outside the boundaries of civility, which cost me 2000 points in another thread recently.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   

well its so obvious you are totally swallowing for israel at this point.

support for a theocracy? no i support arguement on both sides - not being blinded by the flag or deafened by he pledge that you are.

you support the murder of US servicemen by israel.

and as for the UK and plutonim - they supplyed 20 mg in 1966 - thats the same as 60 strands of hair.

www.guardian.co.uk...

nothing like enough to build a weapon at all - you need 20 kg for that.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   
What needs to be understood is the type of ractor Iran have built

Busheir is a LPW or Light pressure water type , which requires 3% U-235 uranium to run it (natural uranium is around 0.7% U-235 with the rest made of of mainly U-238 uranium)

now , the next step for uranium fleul is to convert UF6 into UO2 (uranium hexaflouride into uranium dioxide) powder which is then fired in a furncae to create ceramic pellets about eh size of the end of your middle finger.

these are loaded in a tube made of either stainless steel or zirconium and the end sealed - and thats your fuel rod - about 1/2 inch across length varies on teh design used.

now - if iran was building a PHWR - or pressurised heavy water reactor its a different ball game , these run on uranium dug out of the ground (or even thorium or spent uranium rods from LWR) but - they made tritium in quite impressive quantities - ask canada tey sell most of the USA arsenals tritium for there weapons.

yes weapons - tritium is used to boost a weapon to many times its predicted yield.

i personally believe its a case of watch and wait - when iran `rolls out` UO fuel rods in the next few months - all at 5% then the 1 ton of UF6 (and thats the iaea report is 1 ton - also the iaea report no increase in the number of centrigues since the last inspection)

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by theblunttruth
On a related note, the IAEA have confirmed again the identification of Uranium at the former Syrian site, destroyed by Israel. Also they rule out the possibility the uranium came from the Israeli weapons used and again are struggling for co-operation from the Syrians. Seems the Israelis got it right.

Gives more credence to their suspicions over Irans program.

link

Actually...

The latest report comes after a November report said the site had features resembling those of a nuclear reactor site, but it did not exclude the possibility that it was being used for purposes unrelated to nuclear activity.
That is an extract from the same article you have referenced. They haven't excluded the possibility that it was unrelated to neuclear activity. There is no proof. Just speculation.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   
[edit on 20-2-2009 by Obliterated]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Obliterated

this statement

In that first report on its findings, the IAEA said "significant" traces of uranium were also found.

doesn`t mean a thing - uranium is found naturally

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

I agree with you. I don't understand why some countries are allowed to make nuclear weapons and others are not. I think that no one should be allowed, or everyone should be allowed. it is unfair to dictate to some and not to others.

The U.S has used them against Japan, yet they are the ones who get to call the shots. They shouldn't be allowed to have any say in the matter.

If Iran was to use them they would probably only blow up Israel, If Israel was to use them they would blow up the middle-east and europe. I think on a global scale Israel is a far greater threat to the world. They have the most enemies.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Obliterated
reply to post by Harlequin

I agree with you. I don't understand why some countries are allowed to make nuclear weapons and others are not. I think that no one should be allowed, or everyone should be allowed. it is unfair to dictate to some and not to others.

The U.S has used them against Japan, yet they are the ones who get to call the shots. They shouldn't be allowed to have any say in the matter.

If Iran was to use them they would probably only blow up Israel, If Israel was to use them they would blow up the middle-east and europe. I think on a global scale Israel is a far greater threat to the world. They have the most enemies.

lol, what a great argument, i know, lets let Mugabe have a weapons programme too on the basis of that principle. Al Qaeeda, give them nukes too whilst your at it!

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Obliterated

NO country should be allowed nuclear weapons. But we just cant trust anyone to dispose of them.
And in my opinion no country should have warplanes, but that'll never happen.
To be fair Iran has enemies, in the Muslim world it is Sunni vs Shiite, consider the Iraq-Iran war. But I also agree Israel has more enemies in the region. Not to mention they're more willing to attack their enemies.
Iran has every right that Israel does to make nuclear weapons.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Guys the reason, this nuclear nonsense is going on is

Is because the US government are trying to find some excuse to go into Iran and overthrow the Iranian government.

The Iranian leader dropped the dollar few years ago. It's vast loss in oil money and profits for the American bankers. This is the reason they went into Iraq. Saddam Huessain dropped the dollar in 2001, what do you know Bush invaded in 2002, and overthrew him and now the U.S own Iraq.

Guy's you neeed to get off this trivial nonsense, who has who hasn't, she said he didn't and you can and he can.

Your all been played around like pawns, and hopefully the US powers of be will suck you all in just like they did with Iraq.

Seriously the war mongers on this forum should be bannned. This deceptive manipulative behaviour is not acceptable nor appropriate in this day and age. Organised warfare must not be tolerated.

The Iranian leader is showing much respect and courtesy despite what the US media are protraying him to be. I hope you will all take note what I said on this board.

USA is the last country in the world, to suggest any judgment or action to any country in terms of who and what cannot do with their own country. America needs to accept other countries as they are. America will fall, and the powers of be are trying desparetly not to let this happen by fuelling wars as the last way to keep control of the oil and resources it needs.

It's all about money. The US government does not give a damn about the simple lives of us, only the money and keeping the US banks on top of their game.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
They did it before with Operation Ajax - the legally elected leader , Mohammad Mosaddeq, wes deposed by the sceptic despot called the shah , who was supported by the USA and the UK who thendeposed of Mohammad Mosaddeq.

the shah then brutally crushed all resistance using his terrible SAVAK police.

this ended in 1979 with the revolution .

the elections are later on this year for president - so a case of wait and see what happens.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Your government gives Mugabe weapons

So funny isn't it. Bet you will shut up now

UGH,, again I see small mindness.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join