It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia: University expedition to find Siberian Yeti

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Russia: University expedition to find Siberian Yeti

www.sott.net

Witness evidence from many sources. Giant footprints seen outside siberian caves .
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums

* Copy the exact headline of the story into the headline field, don't make one up or sensationalize it. Submissions with inaccurate, biased or otherwise deceptive headlines may be moved, closed or deleted.

[edit on 2/19/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
If a new species were to be found, it would be ground breaking
If science proved a new species of intelligent being here on planet Earth that has been living alongside us it would be similar to Alien disclosure.
Do they have the same DNA as us, are they advanced in any area of living skills the list is endless.

www.sott.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2/19/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I remember, I think it was Michael Palin who had his travel show on some channel.
In Sweden it was shown on TV8.

He visited the Himalayans (or how you spell that) and asked his indigenous guide, in a rather joking manner, about the Yeti.
The guide looked at him, without a hint of joking, that the Yeti was all but a myth. Most of the people he knew had at least heard it. On countless occasions. It was as natural part of their life as the snow on top of Mount Everest.

I believe it is out there.

The question is, what the hell is it? And how does it survive through the ages. Since it is so very, very, scarce; how does it avoid inbreeding? How many of them are there? Are there hives of them?

Maybe some day we will find the answer to it...still, there is a notion inside me that I would prefer we don't. There is noting like an unsolved mystery.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
If a new species were to be found-we would probably kill it!!! Why oh why can't we just leave well enough alone??? Even if, and thats a big if, Bigfoot existed, can you blame him for not wanting to become the first speciman? If they do exist, what in the name of "science" are we going to do? I mean, they've existed this long without our intervention. What are we going to do? Try and civilize and "democracize" it like we do "all those poor nations" who have done just fine without our intervention thus far. Truly a terrible thing if we did get our hands on one...RUN, YETI, RUUUNNNN (in Forrest Gump method)

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Let's hope they do find the Yeti, it will be a really good find. After all these years, it will be an amazing discovery. However, I don't condone scientists capturing Yetis and doing scientific experiments on them. We hardly ever see Yetis and the first thing we're gonna do is give them pain and suffering? Absurd!

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I find it curious that unrelated cultures have stories of their own Yeti-like creatures, dating back centuries. This enhances the validity of the stories, though I question why a creature like this has gone undetected for so long. It may be that they once roamed the planet, and stories (more likely dramatizations) have carried on long after they disappeared. This seems to be a likely case for many mythological animals that are represented in unrelated societies, and what I consider the best possibility for the Yeti. But if the Yetis are still around, they must be incredibly scarce or exceptionally adept at hiding, and are perhaps both.

Just what do we plan to do if we catch them? Considering our history, I shudder at the thought.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Cryptozoology is a science.
For the record.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Famed cryptozoologist, Lauren Coleman, posted a piece about this on Cryptomundo in which he raises some very interesting questions as to the veracity of the original article.

Siberian Snowman: Hot Story or Hoax?

Not everything is as it seems in Russia today. Yes, credible Russian hominologists are doing excellent research at the Darwin Museum in Moscow, and others throughout the old Soviet Union are studying their “Snowmen” with good scientific methods.

But now and then in the West, we hear of sensationalistic “Snowmen sightings” and “Yeti expeditions,” through the news services that are springing up in the ancient land of the mammoths.

In a post-Cold War era, where the Russian media outlets calling themselves Pravda (Russian: Правда, “The Truth”) today rival The World Weekly News, any articles about Siberian Yeti have to be viewed with caution.

I personally have to agree with Mr. Coleman and for one view any "alternative" story that comes out of Russia with a very healthy dose of skepticism.

-Cypher

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
UPDATE: It seems this story was a hoax, possibly intended to drum up tourism to the Russian region where these sightings were supposedly happening.

Please find below two external links that purport to tell the real story.

All News Web "Russia: New Information Regarding Siberia's Yeti"

Recently All News Web wrote a story about an upcoming expedition that is being planned by the University of Kemerovo in Siberia to establish for once and for all whether a type of black haired Yeti exists in the remote wilderness outside of the city in an area known as the Assaz Caves...We have now received some interesting information on this story that might either clear up the mystery or add to the intrigue. According to a number of local residents who claim to have either knowledge of the supposed creatures or outright firsthand experience there are no Yeti’s in the vicinity rather the phenomena is a fusion of two separate issues.

and an update from Cryptomundo that summarizes an alleged story from RIA Novosti (note: a search of RIA Novosti's English language site for the term "Yeti" is currently unavailable)

Cryptomundo, Siberian Yeti Story: “Sorry, It’s A Mistake”

…another follow-up, now by German RIA Novosti

Now they are reporting that the whole story is smelling like a tourist trap.

The field day of the local congressmen is said to have been done to estimate if the Yeti-story could be turned into a tourist attraction of the area arround the caves.

I'm sorry to hear that this may very well be false. For while I was skeptical about it to begin with, after the fiasco that the "body of bigfoot" hoax turned out to be I've been hoping for something that would reinvigorate the Bigfoot/Yeti community again.

new topics

top topics

join