It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6 Top-Secret Aircraft that are Mistaken for UFOs

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I had a client up here the other day, he was telling me about his son's newest project. He's a high up tech guy at aurora. this is his new baby:
www.aurora.aero...

it hasn't been seen flying around much, as far as I know, but when I saw it I was reminded of those carat things.

he says this thing goes 100 mph.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by punkinworks09
I wish saved the mag, what was shown in a series of three shots taken from outside the fence at one of the saudi bases, was definately a manned craft it was somewhat deltaish shaped with twin inward canted rudders and twin engined.
The pictures were taken at dusk just as the aircraft was taxiing for take off.

Are you sure that it was at Saudi Arabia? The ONLY inwardly canted tails that I've ever heard of were on the Have Blue aircraft. They canted them back outward when they started producing the Nighthawks. The problem with inwardly canted tails is that it puts a lot of stress on the aft body, and the exhaust gets bounced back down towards the ground when it reflects off the tails.

The biggest issue with the tails canted inward is that the air going off the back of the wings and fuselage swirls. The inward canted tails tend to trap that swirling air and beats the back of the fuselage up pretty good.

[edit on 4/1/2009 by Zaphod58]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

AQM-91 Firefly

en.wikipedia.org...

Inward canted tails but that was canceled in the 1970's

[edit on 4/1/09 by FredT]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

They canted them back outward when they started producing the Nighthawks.

That's what I remember during Desert shield/storm, the nighthawks..

I must have been in an area where they either gathered or staged, because it was almost a nightly event, coming from the south lights on, then circling overhead, lights went off and to the north they went.

I remember how in awe we were that they could be so silent compared to the aircraft sounds we were accustomed to.

Amazing then, old hat now..

Kinda like me

ed:sp

[edit on 4/1/2009 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

I should have specified MANNED aircraft that I am aware of.

Jackamtn, what's really cool about the F-117 is that is uses the same F404 engine that the F-18 uses, and the F-18 is a noisy beast. One of the drawbacks to the Nighthawk is that they don't use afterburners because of the way the exhaust is. With the shape of the airframe, they had a LOOOOOONG take-off roll. We used to watch them launch while standing at the other end of a 10,000+ foot runway in case they had to abort, and they used up a good 9000 feet or so of that to get airborne.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Excellent thread! Very useful information for those astounded by celestial events that they see. It's important, IMO, to be able to rule out human-made objects, of which there are probably more than I am aware of.

Having seen a UFO on three occasions, I would never confuse it with those known craft listed. For one thing, the known craft are incapable of such fluid movements, nor are they capable of the speed.

Important thread, IMO. We need to know what we are seeing, so we can report valid sightings.

Cheers

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   

I pretty sure my recollection of the pics and accompaninig commentary on them is accurate, but it was 18 years ago.
Im pretty sure the pics were taken in SA maybe turkey. But they were for sure shot at an operational base. And Im thinkin the photog observed them, there was more than one, one several occasions flying out just as the sun set.
The pics werent very good, shot with a really long lens and at dusk.
There were 2 pics of it on the runway and one just as it left the ground going away from the photog.

the pic you posted(the middle link works the others dont) is very close
the plane in the mag was not quite so pointy.
But thats very close.

I think it was also not swallow tailed, but more of a rounded diamond shape.

Ive always wondered about those pics

[edit on 1-4-2009 by punkinworks]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   

It sounds like they kept some of the limitations of the aircraft shape to ground maneuvers, and relied on the stealth to sacrifice the afterburners..

You can't see them, they arent there.

I definitely can see how the Nighthawks and that Horten Bros flying wing thingy (B-2 I think) could have been taken for UFO's...

My fave though (being a ground pounder) was the A-10... which would never be taken as a UFO, but coming over at treetop level then blasting the (vulcan I think) would frighten the bejebus out of anyone who has never seen it.

Long live the Warthog

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
I had a client up here the other day, he was telling me about his son's newest project. He's a high up tech guy at aurora. this is his new baby:
www.aurora.aero...

it hasn't been seen flying around much, as far as I know, but when I saw it I was reminded of those carat things.

he says this thing goes 100 mph.

put some little flashy lights on that thing and i could see that being called a UFO.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks

yes, flashy lights would certainly fool me!
In another post you mentioned

Originally posted by punkinworks09
I have seen a brilliant pulsing light, rise from behind the the sierra nevada mtns and go from the SE to the NW on several occasions, just after dusk. I have seen it on a return path on one occasion.

I think this is the newest in strategic recon vehicles

...back of mind, back of mind...found this for you...
light

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks

I'll see if I can find the picture somewhere online. The SR-71 also had slightly inward canted tails, but I can't see that being mistaken for something that looks like Have Blue. There were two Have Blue prototypes that flew in the late 1970s, one was lost in 1979.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by desert

Thats just about it, the location of the sighting you posted is only 40 miles from where i saw what i saw.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   

X Craft that could make 90 degree turns? Objects flying at excess speeds of 8,000 mph? I highly doubt that.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Can someone remind me...

Since when have the SR-71 and F-117 been reinstated into active service?

Even when they were in active service, those 3 airframes would have accounted for absolutely bupkus, in terms of mistaken UFO sightings.

There were only 32 SR-71's built (of which only half were ever in active service), and 64 F-117's.
Seriously, considering the minute amount of airframes and the very rare deployment history, these aircraft combined would have accounted for a tiny percentage of UFO sightings.

Those really don't even deserve mention in that list.

The U-2 is a different story, but still, with less than 35 active craft, I don't think a whole lot of "believers" out there have seen one.

[edit on 2/4/09 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by guppy

I also didn't say that they accounted for them ALL did I? But the Air Force has UAVs and other aircraft that we've only heard about through second and third hand stories, and sightings.

As for the SR-71 and F-117 when they were starting to fly and were still black there were a LOT of UFO sightings called in. Especially with the Nighthawk.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Nice post. I have been researching the use of U2 and other USAF aircraft in Australia during the 1960's and whether or not they caused Australian UFO reports. The following is a post of mine from the Australian UFO blog at ufos-scientificresearch.blogspot.com...

"One of the areas of research which interests me, is examining UFO reports from the past. Looking at the data available on a case from yesteryear allows you the opportunity of doing so out of the media spotlight.

I recall that the exact opposite occurred with the 1988 Mundrabilla, Western Australia, car/ufo encounter. Here, as a member of UFO Research South Australia, I undertook interviews and investigations in the middle of a global "media circus" which demanded instant answers. There was no time for reflection or evaluation during those heady few days when each ring of the telephone heralded a call from an international media outlet. So, the opportunity to re-examine a UFO case away from this pandemonium is welcome.

In addition, sometimes the passage of time reveals additional information, relevant to a case, which was not available at the time. I became aware of its value, during the initial years of the Disclosure Australia project. This project undertook a comprehensive search for Australian Government UFO files.

Enter Crowflight:

Back in 2004 I was looking at a UFO report from Devenport, Tasmania dated 25 May 1961. At 8.35am a male witness saw a silver object in the sky "...shaped like a thermometer or a pencil..." There was no sound. It was visible to the NNW travelling in a straight line, and slowly lost to view behind bushes, indicating a small angular elevation at this point.

The man reported the observation to the RAAF, and on their official UFO report form, in a section completed by the RAAF itself, was a note "U2 aircraft over Great Lake at approximately 8.15am tracking in a northerly direction..." This simple note lead me to the discovery that the USAF was flying U2 aircraft over Australia, under an Operation named "Crowflight." I suggested to other researchers that a number of Australian UFO reports could have been caused by observations of U-2 aircraft.

A closer look:

Six years later, I decided to take a closer look at Crowflight to see if there were further insights to be gleaned. I went to the National Archives of Australia (NAA) website and using their RecordSearch function I located 13 files relating to Crowflight. These files, at the time of the Operation, were held by the Australian Government Departments of External Affairs; Defence; Air; Supply; Navy and Immigration.

The main file appeared to be 694/7/22. I had previously asked the NAA to digitise three parts of this file, so I was easily able to read these parts in detail. The file's title was "United States high altitude air sampling, 'Crowflight.' " The Operation in Australia was part of a world-wide sampling of radioactive material, and here in Australia mainly took place from aircraft flying between 40 and 45 degrees south latitude. It originally involved seven operational USAF aircraft, namely three U-2 and four JB-57, plus 175-200 personnel. The Operation flew out of the East Sale, Victoria RAAF base.

Further details:

The JB-57 aircraft were based with the 4950th Test Group, Kirkland AFB, New Mexico. Maximum speed was 500mph. Maximum altitude 35-40,000 feet.

The U-2 aircraft had a range of 3,000 miles. Maximum speed 475mph. Flight duration maximum was 7.5 hours. Maximum altitude was 70,000 feet.

From the papers on the files I was able to reconstruct the dates when Crowflight was operational in Australia. These were: 17 Oct 1960 to 15 Dec 1960; 22 Apr 1961 to 31 May 1961; 26 Oct 1961 to 27 Nov 1961; all based at East Sale.

The papers also revealed that there were three additional flights to 60 degrees south latitude on 31 Oct 1961; 16 Nov 1961 and 27 Nov 1961.

Permanent basing:

From 14 Sep 1962 Crowflight aircraft were permanently based in Australia. There were 19 U-2 flights and 25 RB-57 flights a month with two U-2 and four RB-57 aircraft based at Laverton, Victoria RAAF base, and the Department of Supply airfield at Avalon, Victoria.

There were also other Crowflights which did not travel south. There was one flight a month from Avalon/Laverton to Cooktown, north Queensland and at least one flight to Manus Island, near Papua New Guinea, mentioned on the files.

Withdrawal:

On 23 Feb 1965 the RB-57 aircraft were re-located back to RAAF East Sale.

On 1 Mar 1965 the U-2 aircraft were withdrawn, to be replaced by the RB-57F type plane.

A memo dated 12 Jan 1966 advised that the Crowflight Operation would finally cease by Feb 1966 with the final withdrawal of all Crowflight aircraft.

In summary:

Crowflight aircraft were based in Australia 17 Oct 1960 to 15 Dec 1960; 22 Apr 1961 to 31 May 1961; 26 Oct 1961 to 27 Nov 1961, and 14 Sep 1962 to Feb 1966.

UFOs?

Knowing the dates when Crowflight aircraft were in the country now allowed for a check against Australian UFO reports. I therefore started by searching the archives of UFO reports made to the RAAF in my Disclosure Australia files.

I found nine UFO reports which had the characteristics you might associate with observations of Crowflight aircraft. These were: description of a "pencil" or similar shape; no sound; North to South or the reverse trajectory; day time sighting; a straight line trajectory; an estimated speed around 500mph; silver or white in colour; and a location where it was known Crowflight aircraft would pass over.

After reading the relevant RAAF UFO questionnaire for each event, I narrowed possible Crowflight observations to three. There was the original 25 May 1961 Devenport, Tasmania case plus two others.

3 Nov 1962 Liffey, near Cressy, Tasmania

A witness briefly reported seeing a silver, "needle" shaped object overhead, heading soundlessly in a straight line, at 11.15am. It appeared very high up and was lost behind cumulus clouds. My conclusion is that this was possibly a Crowflight U-2 aircraft.

(Pre 9) Jan 1963 Penna, near Hobart, Tasmania

A witness saw "white vapour" at 45 degrees angular elevation due north. There was no sound as an object moved downwards in a straight line, at 11.50am. The RAAF UFO report form stated that at the time, a B-57 aircraft was at 29,000 feet climbing to 40,000 feet, over Hobart. My conclusion is that it was a Crowflight RB-57 aircraft.

I would therefore conclude that at least three known UFO reports in the RAAF UFO files were due to Crowflight aircraft, two by U-2 and one by an RB-57.

There are probably dozens more such Crowflight caused UFO reports buried in the archives of Australian UFO groups, especially the files held by the Tasmanian UFO Investigation Centre; and the Victorian UFO Research Society; possibly even that of UFO Research Queensland. I would urge researchers in these groups to take alook back through their files for the period 1960 to 1966.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
the P791
weltraum-zeppelin-werft.de...
i integreat that in my work
can someone tell me more about the P791-because it look like my spaceblimp that i make 1999 and Lockhead Martin build the P791 in 2010
i mean the size of P791 and my spaceblimp are nearby the same-but the missions are different.
does the P791 have something to do with my blimp-what did u think?

thats my 4 post and i must still find out what to post and where

top topics

<< 1   >>

join